Ski & Snowboard Thread

What! Seriously? Ever been there before? I lived there for a couple years and worked in a ski shop while I was in xray school. Pretty wicked little town. Bonus free season pass. Bring extra $$$. Hit Lisa G's for food and beers. It's a good spot and not a total ripoff like most of main street Lake Placid is.

The mountain is a sheet of ice so be careful. Check out the new side of the mountain they have opened up. They talked about it for years. Looking up it's all new-ish on the right side. Last couple years. The slides are nasty! They were only open once in 3 years. We got 28" of snow in one day so they opened. You can see them from the last lift. Looks like pure death.

OLD:

497.jpg

New:
whiteface_trail_map.jpg

Awesome. We'll be sure to check out Lisa G's... death on the right, eh? One can only hope. I miss the crazy challenging stuff of Whistler/Blackcomb so this will be exciting.

I think the new stuff is blue square. Should be fun. I found their blues to be pretty decent. The black just ends up being a sheet of ice with cat tracks across it.

They have had the olympics there twice so it's a burly mountain but nothing compared to whistler I don't think.

I think the new stuff is blue square. Should be fun. I found their blues to be pretty decent. The black just ends up being a sheet of ice with cat tracks across it.

They have had the olympics there twice so it's a burly mountain but nothing compared to whistler I don't think.

The new side has a couple of blacks and one of them was actually a little challenging - look out below! The run was mostly big piles of snow with random moguls/sheer drops off the moguls. The rest of the stuff definitely has a bit of an ice base but some loose snow is still out there to be found. I was expecting a bit more challenging runs overall but I guess I've been a bit spoiled with those double black chutes out west. It's not boring though! I certainly don't mean to knock the place, because it's quite good. Too bad the slides don't have enough snow - it's all exposed rock and sheets of solid ice at the moment. Good call on Lisa G's! Thanks man.

Nice shots man! Glad to hear Lisa G's is still good.

That one shot of the "mogul" trail of ice piles. hah! Yeah that's what I remember, tons of ice and near impossible ruts and bumps. A few good trails though.

The pic under the lift... was there a lot of ground showing on the trails?

Nice shots man! Glad to hear Lisa G's is still good.

That one shot of the "mogul" trail of ice piles. hah! Yeah that's what I remember, tons of ice and near impossible ruts and bumps. A few good trails though.

The pic under the lift... was there a lot of ground showing on the trails?

There was a lot of ground showing period.. there were multiple places in almost all runs with rocks poking through.. sometimes small bushes. The mogul pile was great fun - one of the more enjoyable ones somehow. It at least forced you to navigate interesting textures and varying shapes rather than consistent patches of ice in between hard pack moguls. I was a bit surprised at how little snow there was in the area overall, but they did attempt to rectify this by making snow. It was so windy though on the second day that so much of the snow was literally being blown off the mountain and left to expose the ice base. Certainly reminded me of Tremblant in that sense :)

most of the stuff resides in Vermont or New Hampshire on the east

Don't forget Maine! Maine has some great skiing at Sunday River (Simon Dumont's hometown) and Sugarloaf as well as many other smaller mountains.

Here's a few old ones.

18341_438368155610_1525200_n_zps18eb15c1.jpg

189482_1002170974132_858_n_zpse4e481bd.jpg

199656_1007516707772_357_n_zps677a8cfb.jpg

208112_1007516387764_7759_n_zps9d562728.jpg

18341_438368200610_2247507_n_zps2ddcdf63.jpg

Current equipment set-up is 2010 4FRNT TNKs with Deadbolt bindings and Dalbello Voodoo boots.

Last edited:
Some of those runs look rough as hell!! Damn moguls haha

That was actually my second favourite run on the mountain on that day. Those moguls actually had some snow on them, they were very inconsistent with spacing and height and it made the run very interesting. I generally hate moguls but on runs like this one they are pretty fun to me. The best run of the day had a ton of snowmaking going on and there was actually a little bit of powder to slide on. I do miss huge powder dumps out West and being able to get fresh tracks in that stuff though.

Hey Dent... did you hit the summit at all? I find the 2 blue trails up there to be pretty decent. The blacks are just steep ice walls.

Went to a local mountain today and gave snowboarding a try for the first time since high school. I had a lot of fun.

Taught the girlfriend how to use a t-bar:

IMG_20130302_131356_613_zpsd45f11b2.jpg

Here's me:

IMG_20130302_131418_057_zpsde9249c4.jpg

And, I had so much fun I went and bought this:

IMG_20130302_181423_055_zpsc1e7ea8d.jpg

Going again tomorrow to try the new board. Will update with more pics.

Looks good! Burton board info?

It's a 2012 Shawn White standard wide 158 with mission bindings. I ended up getting Moto boots too, I'm super excited to try it out.

Back