Slick's "Orange Crush" Build

slick

Longview, Wa
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Just starting to work on cars really and beginning with installing OEM equipment additions first and then I will decide from there.

Forgive me this is my first DIY post ever and I am going to link to other competitive forums and if this is bad etiquette I apologize for that. My intent is to educate the 2014 Honda Civic Si community so with that said here we go with my first ever DIY post.

2014 Civic Si without Navigation (Base Build)

Project – Add OEM XM to base build 2014 Civic Si Coupe (Project Difficulty – 4 to 5) (NOT VERFIED WORKING YET!)

INSTALLATION – this is the warning off the XM Kit Installation information Customer Information: The information in this installation instruction is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment, and training to correctly and safely add equipment to your vehicle. These procedure should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers.”

First I wanted to verify that the touch screen radio head unit in my car is XM Ready so I got into the radios Diagnostics mode (Power Off + Eject + Home while not on home screen) to have a look. (Sorry for sun reflection in the picture)

DiagPic_zps87cb565f.jpg

If you look at my radios diagnostics menu under help it explains the color codes (Yellow – I interpreted that it’s not connected but is available?!?!)
So this sent off a fire storm in me since this was a huge deal since I wanted XM before I bought the car and was lied to by the sales man and ended up with no XM Unit. The Aux port is not 3.5mm it’s an HDMI jack so that meant I had to use data plan on my cell or aftermarket XM unit and transmit the signal to an FM frequency and pick this up on my OEM head unit (this was not acceptable to me).
So I researched and I looked through all the information I could find here are the 4 locations I did most of my research on what to get (http://estore.honda.com , http://collegehillshonda.com , http://collegehillshondaparts.com , and http://www.bernardiparts.com ).

Parts (Purchased through collegehillshondaparts.com by selecting car (2014 Honda Civic SI NAVI) then browse to Antenna. PRICE Approximately 350.00 spent total on all the parts.
  • 39150-TS8-A02ZL - (This is Orange Fire Pearl color since that is my car color) Shark Fin Antenna
  • 39153-TA0-A02 – The Nut to hold Shark Fin antenna onto vehicle (don’t forget it because the antenna itself doesn’t come with this)
  • 39820-TR6-A01 – This is the actual XM Unit
  • 39163-TS8-A02 – This is the feeder assembly XM antenna wire from Shark Fin Antenna to XM Unit in the trunk.
After I got these parts I found the location that the XM unit is supposed to mount (Trunk Passengers side) – I removed the 3 slide pin clips and fold back the carpet and I saw the 2 distinct mounting holes. I searched and couldn’t find any additional wiring so I had to research some more and found out that Honda has not changed much in 8 years and it’s the same S shaped plug for the XM Unit as in past models 2006 and up Honda Civics. This told me that I need to order a few more parts in order to accomplish my project goals. I ordered these from my local Honda dealer due to the rush I needed them by. I accomplished this goal of getting the Y bracket but not the XM install Kit listed below and I have to wait till next weekend or so for it to arrive and then to finish the project.
  • 08A31-0F1-000 – this is the Y Bracket to attach to an S bracket in back of the radio head unit
  • 08B15-SNA-100B – This is an older kit to install XM Unit in the trunk of a 4 door unit (great for what I need it for)
Time to start the build (Forgive all the links but I don’t want to write-up what others have already done and there are instructions for already) I found almost all of the information from YouTube, Forums, and Installation instructions found all over the internet (so if I don’t explain something very well please look it up all the information is there.

INSTALL Part 1 – Install Shark Fin Antenna

Remove Rear panels – Follow rear speaker replacement guides
Disconnect Battery before you start this project since you are working around the air bags and you don’t want these to go off.
  1. http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-rear-speaker-replacement.3859/
  2. Remove back window speaker deck lift until all red areas (below) are out of their notches and you should hear the pins under upper section by the speakers pop out as well – then lift out
RearSpeakerDeck_zpsbd1c0fb8.jpg

Remove Dome light, Sunroof controls with map lights, grab handles, sun visors

3. Blue sections pry out with small screw driver and reveal 2 screws and 2 plugs to undo (See Ref 2 or Ref 2a for this cover removal)
MapLight-SunRoof_zps244ea937.jpg

4. The dome is simple remove the cover with a screw driver and undo 2 screws and undo a single plug and you can remove it (See Ref 2a for this cover removal)
DomeLight_zps5aa7646d.jpg

5. The Pull down the grab handles and reveal the pins the cover will have to be pinched on both the front side and back sides at the same time to remove then the plug comes out revealing 2 metal clips that need to be removed too. Much like the air bag symbol in the rear linked in the document above step 1 (sorry the picture doesn’t show the pins below)
GrabBars_zps4aa51fb6.jpg

6. Remove the Sun Visors (See this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpSMOy-TMvs
) Also (See Ref 2 for this)
SunVisor_zps84176d86.jpg

7. Remove Drivers side lower seat belt bolt (pull rubber cover off and unbolt with 15mm socket)
SeatBeltRemoval_zps858b932e.jpg

8. Remove drivers and passengers trim panels
DoorTrimFloor_zps098d335c.jpg

9. Remove back seat (See Ref 1 for this) also the u-shaped ones are pull sliders (Pull forward towards front of car) to release the pins.

10. Remove the rear side panels both drivers and passengers side loosen the rubber around the door trims first before removal of these
BackSeatSidePanels_zps5061c76e.jpg

11. Loosen the rubber around door trim moldings then to remove the top seat belt guide and pillar molding by it pulling out and down from the bottom of the piece.
UpperSeatBeltTrim_zps90a96816.jpg

12. Now you should have the headliner free of molding pieces except for 2 screws on each side of the back wing windows (Go ahead and remove those) (Having another hand for this next part is recommended)

13. When you drop the headliner there are 2 pins in the back right above each of the back seat positions that will need to be finessed loose

14. Then loosen the areas around the sun roof

15. Then front and pull it back towards the back window
16. Remove headliner through the passenger’s door.

Now we should be able to see the exact location that the Shark Fin antenna goes in the ceiling it should resemble a teardrop. The large area of the teardrop shape is calipered at 1-1/2” so half of that is 3/4” there we used a spring loaded punch to mark the location from inside the car (Spend the time to make sure you are where you want to be before you press this all the way down).

Template time here is what mine looks like
PlasticTemplates_zps25cf77d0.jpg

RED = Remove this area for the antenna to fit into bolt and wire (Be mindful that the bolt needs to grip something), BLUE = is matching the keyhole shape, YELLOW = water seal (You’ll understand when you have it with you).

I also created a paper template for this too (Notice the slot in the middle – this material was all removed)
PaperTemplate_zps7388a04d.jpg

Drill out the antenna bolt (Used ½” bit for this and the lower section) then used a Dremel to route the remaining material out (BEWARE My Dremel jumped out and hit the roof and it damaged the paint but it’s still under the antenna so I was fortunate (I painted the exposed primer with my touchup paint)) then bolted the antenna down on top of it.

After the antenna is bolted down here is the route that we followed for the XM antenna assembly (Pics Below)
AntennaRoute1_zps07aa584b.jpg
AntennaRoute2_zpsb7996d4d.jpg
AntennaRoute3_zps8c94f934.jpg
AntennaRoute5_zps7151a56b.jpg
AntennaRoute6_zpsea987382.jpg

Here are before and after shots of my roof

RoofBeforeandAfter_zps357d1062.jpg

Waiting on the Bus Cable that will be part 2 of this as I follow Ref 1 for the route to the trunk and then I will be finished. Hope this works I am already committed to this all the way to the end result (Having XM on my OEM touch screen radio) if possible.

BTW – I hate using links but I didn’t document what I could look up on my own. Using links often the information goes away or is changed. If you end up following this and would like to add to this forum how to do some of the tasks that I linked to rather than document to other websites that would be awesome and very much appreciated by everyone viewing this and myself.

Ref 1 - http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2011_CivicSi_XMRadio_AII44332.pdf
Ref 2 - http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-2014-automatic-day-night-mirror.4289/
Ref 2a - (Video) don’t use a knife like him-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Asc5bmUyM

Last edited:
Part 2 - Install Bus cable to XM Unit -
ATTENTION I need further assistance to finish this write- up since I believe that everything that I set forth to do in this install is still possible even though I have not come to the finish line YET!
  1. I need pictures wiring behind the 2014 Honda Civic Si w/Navigation (To include all the plugs and wires to those plugs as well as the back of the HU - Model Number of HU is 39100-TS9-A61). The Radio Cavity and a picture of the front unit itself would be nice as well.
  2. I need someone to verify that the XM Unit in the trunk is still the same unit, which is easy to get to by removing the three pins on the passenger’s side carpeting and pulling back to reveal it there (Unbolt and verify that the 14pin White S Connector is there). I still think this is right, I just need confirmation. How it’s hooked into the stereo would be awesome too if you want look for it and provide that feedback that would be absolutely amazing.
    • If you don’t find it there I believe that there might be an alternate location for the XM Unit (Passengers wheel well front seat. Open the glove box and at the top back corners press in until the grommets clear the glove box opening to bring it down. Verify to the far right that the XM Unit is there (Don’t Mistake the Amplifier for the XM Unit (they are different boxes but may be in the same location) I will provide a picture of both below so you know what each looks like. The First is the XM Unit in the trunk Width is approx. 1" wide. Factory amp in second picture is Approx 3" wide and in my front passenger side wheel well. This is how you will know the difference.
XMUnitLocal_zpsa60618c0.jpg
FactoryAmp_zps8e80a17a.jpg
3. Or I would like it if someone could obtain the pin out and post of the two radios 39100-TS9-A51 and 39100-TS9-A61.
I am providing some additional information for the write-up for installing the Bus cable even though I am not able to successfully install this at this time due to the fact that on the back of the HU there is NOT a 14pin S plug to hook the XM Unit into. I will provide pictures of what I run into and will leave it open for the above information to be answered and finish my write-up if possible.
Here is the model of the radio that is in my car and I believe the navigation one as well and their FCC information on them. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...=N&application_id=366245&fcc_id=UJHNR241NR243 You might get an error on this link since the FCC has a timeout of 500 seconds on this request. if that is the case open google and search for "UJHNR241NR243" you will get a link that comes up with the following information OET Exhibits List. Click this and there is a lot of information on the radio HU.
So to install the bus cable I am going to follow the following instructions set to get it installed (Don’t Use this for ordering parts but in how to run the cable) - http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/07xmsi.pdf
I am not able to continue until I get some answers to the questions above, I am going to provide pictures of the back of the stereo and wiring harnesses from this point. I hope to get answers to finish the full install of this and then onto Part 3 of my write-up Navigation and based on the FCC information I believe that this is possible too.
HUModelNumber_zps5f8fdb52.jpg

The following pictures are the HU and wiring - I would like more information about these. I will put the pictures in order of the head unit's backing.
HUBack_zps40e140fb.jpg

TOP Row of HU (No Duplicates can get the top (since pic is upside down) of the one pictured bellow let me know and ill get it)
1Pin_zps26b33d32.jpg
24Pin_zpsa4a0a0f7.jpg
HDMIAux_zps6a1c68b3.jpg
USB_zps27b57fec.jpg
GreenCam_zps9cf574e8.jpg

BOTTOM Row of HU (Dupes to include top and Bottom of plug (12 Pin Top, Bottom)(Main Plug Top, Bottom)) Beige Plug I put in here upside down) sorry will get updates to correct
Antennas_zps06e6c2c8.jpg
12PinTop_zps7bb662b0.jpg
12PinBottom_zps2313e908.jpg
BeigePlug_zps69fd8b04.jpg
8Pin_zps86ef2fdd.jpg
MainTop_zps485812c9.jpg
MainBottom_zpsf0151a00.jpg

Now the Issue since there is not a plug of this type on the back of the HU (The speculation is the beige plug for this hence I need the pin out information above to confirm or deny and how to put it together.) - then the shape of the S Connector that goes to the XM Unit - 14 Pin
SPlug_zps0812f027.jpg

Top Wires S Connector
TopSPlug_zpsaa761f6a.jpg

Bottom Wires S Connector -
BottomSPlug_zpsaa761f6a.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the main FM antenna is in the back window with the defogger.

Posted more information and really need some help with part 2 and any help big or small is appreciated.

Back