Squiggy and Spidergirl's Annual Halloween Movie Fest!

Two pieces of trivia I found particularly interesting about The Stranglers of Bombay:

* The Thugee cult can be traced back to the 17th Century with roots going as far back as the 13th. According to Wikipedia it is estimated that they murdered two million of their countrymen. According to the film's end credits, one thug allegedly claimed 700 victims.

* The military men of the story are not part of the British army but the East India Company, which virtually ruled India for two centuries. With roots in the 16th Century, the company was granted a monopoly from 1708 to 1857, when it became the largest global trader in the world, dealing with cotton, silk, indigo, and even opium.

Reactions: Nix
I really need some new horror films, so this thread speaks to my soul. Since in the last year I have binge watched all things horror that I possible can find

Trivia Time:
Boris Karloff, who played the sinister butler Morgan in The Old Dark House (1932), was offered a role in this one as well but turned it down because he didn't like the script and considered it too biased towards comedy instead of horror.

Are you guys enjoying the older movies at all. Be honest. Has anything been "scary"... if you want to call it that? I've seen some really bad old stuff that I couldn't even sit through

Are you guys enjoying the older movies at all. Be honest. Has anything been "scary"... if you want to call it that? I've seen some really bad old stuff that I couldn't even sit through

None of them are even remotely scary. Some are pretty good. Some are pretty bad. I am viewing them more from a cinematic history perspective. It is interesting seeing what qualified as horror (and in some cases borderline obscene to the point of almost being banned). Also have to keep in mind that Hammer was a pretty low budget operation.

There is a late Vincent Price move that was banned in America. Not a Hammer film, but something worth checking out in the future.It's got some disturbing scenes. It's called Witchfinder General.

We've been busy for the past few days and have some catching up to do! :)

Day 13: The Maniac

15 The Maniac 1963.jpg

Back