Started using recommended shift points

Loppysaurusrex

9ffaa87057a22ef00d14483c15207df0.jpg

Made this little sticker with the recommended speeds for shifting and stuck it in my dash and so far I have to say the driving feels much smoother when you follow these numbers, supposedly you'll get optimal fuel economy too but I haven't been using it long enough to report on that yet

So your using roughly 2800RPM as your shift point?

I float both sides of the fence on this I keep it under 4k on my commute to and from work but anytime I'm on an empty back road I stretch the cars legs. I'll hit VTEC at least once on my way home today.

Humm, based on recent comments I must be a total maniac then; a mid-50's wannabe F-1 driver who doesn't know anything BUT
V T E C That's why I bought the car, to destroy it... or myself. (or before i give it to @Nix)

Damn this mid-life crisis!

btw, this 9th group is the greatest group of Craziness-Enablers is the history of man. I lov'em all, even if i don't know each one.

Humm, based on recent comments I must be a total maniac then; a mid-50's wannabe F-1 driver who doesn't know anything BUT
V T E C That's why I bought the car, to destroy it... or myself. (or before i give it to @Nix)

Damn this mid-life crisis!
Well excuse me for not driving at 6k rpm in rush hour traffic

If you shift using the shift points specified, that's usually around 4000-4500 rpm and lands you in the 3000 rpm range. That's not horribly conservative and it's not overly aggressive.

The shift points are recommended out of the owners manual. I use them myself for the most part as it keeps the motor in the "peak torque" area so the car doesn't feel sluggish but your not racing around, around 3-4k rpms I believe. Sorry you feel these guys are putting you down loppy but they really are just putting in their feedback, no one really is judging the way any other person drives. I know I could care less as VTAK is my home :giggle:

I almost always use the shift points. The only time I don't is when I completely forget and shift lower. Definitely smooths the shifting; there is no contest on that. I'm 30 and drive like I'm 80, though, and have no interest in banging through gears past the VTEC point. Props to other people for actually reading their owner's manual!

Reactions: mph
I did that when I first got my Si but what's the shift point to get 0-60 in 6.1 sec.. Is it Vtec Vtec Vtec Vtec

Reactions: mph
Back