stormCIVIC fg3

Not sure on power output because I'm still tuning but in my honest opinion I don't think it's worth it. The only power you will make out of an R18 is through heavy engine modification, or forced induction. I just got my cylinder head ported and polished and it's still not "fast", it is quicker but for the amount of money you will spend you're not getting enough bang for your buck like you would on an Si. I bought these mods cause I had money to throw around and I genuinely just like to modify my cars and remember we don't make 140 hp that's our power at the crank so even after 30 hp you're still only at about 140hp

Not sure on power output because I'm still tuning but in my honest opinion I don't think it's worth it. The only power you will make out of an R18 is through heavy engine modification, or forced induction. I just got my cylinder head ported and polished and it's still not "fast", it is quicker but for the amount of money you will spend you're not getting enough bang for your buck like you would on an Si. I bought these mods cause I had money to throw around and I genuinely just like to modify my cars and remember we don't make 140 hp that's our power at the crank so even after 30 hp you're still only at about 140hp
Gotcha

Also I just bought a 2011 Subaru wrx so forced induction is in my near future for the civic, hopefully aftermarket manufacterers start to pick up on us R18 owners but I don't really see that happening since we were long forgotten and even now Honda has jumped up a generation with the civic so they'll be working on the 10th gens

Reactions: Tak
Also I just bought a 2011 Subaru wrx so forced induction is in my near future for the civic, hopefully aftermarket manufacterers start to pick up on us R18 owners but I don't really see that happening since we were long forgotten and even now Honda has jumped up a generation with the civic so they'll be working on the 10th gens
Yeah it's kind of a slim game for us. Not much to do.

The dynos posted by 8th gen guys with full bolt ons, and manual trans because there are less losses than the AT, were hitting max 155-ish at the wheels. Certainly an improvement if you consider that stock those same cars were putting out 110-115hp at the wheels.

You could probably hit 160's NA with a good intake, intake manifold, the RV6 "header", a full custom 2.5" exhaust, and a tune. The real power is hiding in the "header" and the intake manifold. The only aftermarket mani is the one from Weapon-R. Custom ones are available but spendy. I believe the one guy that hit the mid 150's had a cam too.

The main thing to also think about it how much better and more responsive the car will be. You will never win a drag race but man, it can feel a lot more lively. Plus its fun to mod stuff even if its not "worth it."

The jackson SC kit will put you at around 180hp at the wheels with all stock parts. That is non-modded Si territory for $5k. Pair that with the new RV6 "header" and a custom exhaust, I bet that would be pretty quick. You could also buy a used Miata for that much and hit a bunch of track days.

Put hard poly bushings in the front LCAs so you can actually get that power down and you'll need a stiffer rear lower mount as well. The R18 mounts are far softer than even the SI ones. Hasport makes one that fits this car.

Reactions: Tak
Stock Si makes 201 at the crank right? How much is it making at the wheel?

Like 170s depending on dyno

@Nix Can you link me to that lower mount? and have you figured anything out about fitment with the jackson SC kit on our cars?

Well I guess I won't do it for now unless I change my mind in the future. But thank you everyone for your input. It helps a lot. At least I have go cart handling to have a blast at any speed in the corners. And the power isn't that bad. It's decent for what it is. And it sounds great and feels better now with the new K&N Sri intake.

Anybody know anyone on here with the Seibon carbon fiber c-style spoiler. I'm thinking about getting it for my car. Always have wanted a lip spoiler for my car. It's either going to be that or the 15 si spoiler.

@stormCIVIC

As you plan to upgrade the brake, I suggest that you planning the replacement of your spare tire in the trunk as well.

From what i learn, the BBK will not be compatible with our small donut due to its size. Perhaps you may buy a rim of your favor or current and leave it your trunk.

@stormCIVIC

As you plan to upgrade the brake, I suggest that you planning the replacement of your spare tire in the trunk as well.

From what i learn, the BBK will not be compatible with our small donut due to its size. Perhaps you may buy a rim of your favor or current and leave it your trunk.
yep. hahaha or...... weight reduction. hahah but yeah ill go get another cheap wheel somewhere and put that as my spare.

Guys..... @stormCIVIC , @Tak

Tuning basics 101 - Spare tire tricks:

If you upgrade your front brakes and the spare no longer clears the caliper, then you get a front flat..... What to do?

You simply jack up the car, remove a rear wheel, put the spare on the rear, then move the good rear wheel to the front. No need to be fooling around with different spares.

Stock MC works fine. Pedal might have a bit longer throw to it.

As far as brakes go, a good pad/fluid upgrade is really all you need. If you want a BBK for looks get one but just realize your brake performance is still going to be limited by your tire choice. Stock brakes are plenty strong to lock up the tires. The only downside to stock brake systems is that they cannot handle heat well. SO you get one hard stop before they are at their heat limit. If you are hitting touge runs and track sessions you'll need better pads and fluid. If you're looking for bling I would probably steer you towards the Buddy Club calipers as we know they will fit your car. They only come in orange or red. The wilwood calipers are "ok" at best but they have a very compact size. You should have no issues fitting them under stock 16"wheels.

These guys all but disappeared but eh, FKX/Team3d seem to think that the wilwood 4 piston will fit your car.

http://www.fkxracing.com/WILWOOD-4-...CE-BRAKE-KIT-12-15-HONDA-CIVIC-140-119FKX.htm

Available direct from Wilwood as well:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-10996-D

@axion_industries are running a very small caliper for their drag setup. They may be of some help.

The issue in fitting an aftermarket caliper not specifically stated to fit your car is the multiple revisions Honda made to the 12-15 cars and I cannot say for sure that the knuckle stayed the same from year to year and it is not the same between the SI and non-SI cars. This does not mean a brake that can fit the SI won't fit a non-SI car. The axles are different which is generally why the knuckle is different. The mounting bolt spacing could be the same and any brake that fits an SI could potentially fit a non-SI car. Rotor offset is also an issue.

I have TSX calipers/rotors on my car for heat capacity and before that I had really aggressive pads and fluid. Other than one particularly long, fast (90+mph), downhill mountain road I never had an issue with the stock calipers. I know it's hard to believe but FLUID and PADS are all you really need.

Call up Porterfield and have them make you a custom rear brake shoe with an aggressive compound. It will help offset the difference in a larger front caliper and the stock proportioning valve.

Back