stormCIVIC fg3

So question of the night. I know ive asked alot in the last hour. and I know you guys will respond. Do I go BBK or do I just upgrade OEM brakes with nice set of drilled and slotted rotors?

**when i drive aggressive in the mountains Ive never had fade in my brakes. so let have some input about both options.

Guys..... @stormCIVIC , @Tak

Tuning basics 101 - Spare tire tricks:

If you upgrade your front brakes and the spare no longer clears the caliper, then you get a front flat..... What to do?

You simply jack up the car, remove a rear wheel, put the spare on the rear, then move the good rear wheel to the front. No need to be fooling around with different spares.

Stock MC works fine. Pedal might have a bit longer throw to it.

As far as brakes go, a good pad/fluid upgrade is really all you need. If you want a BBK for looks get one but just realize your brake performance is still going to be limited by your tire choice. Stock brakes are plenty strong to lock up the tires. The only downside to stock brake systems is that they cannot handle heat well. SO you get one hard stop before they are at their heat limit. If you are hitting touge runs and track sessions you'll need better pads and fluid. If you're looking for bling I would probably steer you towards the Buddy Club calipers as we know they will fit your car. They only come in orange or red. The wilwood calipers are "ok" at best but they have a very compact size. You should have no issues fitting them under stock 16"wheels.

These guys all but disappeared but eh, FKX/Team3d seem to think that the wilwood 4 piston will fit your car.

http://www.fkxracing.com/WILWOOD-4-...CE-BRAKE-KIT-12-15-HONDA-CIVIC-140-119FKX.htm

Available direct from Wilwood as well:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-10996-D

@axion_industries are running a very small caliper for their drag setup. They may be of some help.

The issue in fitting an aftermarket caliper not specifically stated to fit your car is the multiple revisions Honda made to the 12-15 cars and I cannot say for sure that the knuckle stayed the same from year to year and it is not the same between the SI and non-SI cars. This does not mean a brake that can fit the SI won't fit a non-SI car. The axles are different which is generally why the knuckle is different. The mounting bolt spacing could be the same and any brake that fits an SI could potentially fit a non-SI car. Rotor offset is also an issue.

I have TSX calipers/rotors on my car for heat capacity and before that I had really aggressive pads and fluid. Other than one particularly long, fast (90+mph), downhill mountain road I never had an issue with the stock calipers. I know it's hard to believe but FLUID and PADS are all you really need.

Call up Porterfield and have them make you a custom rear brake shoe with an aggressive compound. It will help offset the difference in a larger front caliper and the stock proportioning valve.
I literally just posted about just upgrading my pads and rotors with slotted an drilled which I think will help alot. Im also getting new Nitto Neo Gen tires soo aswell. I run 225/45 R17

Skip the drilled/slotted. They are (generally) a crap rotor and just for looks. The most I would even slightly recommend for looks is a slotted only rotor. Most drilled rotors are poor quality and should be avoided unless you are just hard parking it and DD-ing to work.

If you're not getting fade even when you drive hard, get pads/fluid/SS lines for feel. I don't usually recommend SS lines as there are some serious downsides to them but for pedal feel it may be worth it for you.

Fluid: ATE Type200 - It's a good high temp fluid and you don't have to flush it 3-4 times a year. You can be lazy and do it once a year or two and still be fine.
It works great and is dead cheap @21.50/can. That's more than you need for a full system flush including plenty of F-up extra fluid.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...oup=Type+200+Amber+Brake+Fluid&cat=BrakeFluid

I know everyone clamors for Motul RBF600! RBF500! yeah! Kickass fluid but man, you have to change it every couple months. It absorbs a ton of moisture and isn't suited for a DD with normal maintenance intervals.

I would really like to recommend you a great street pad but there is very very little available for your car. The best thing I can find to recommend is an EBC setup.

EBC slotted rotors (for looks but they work fine, I've run them) and EBC RedStuff pads.

$225 from EBC direct and they list fitment for your car.

http://ebcrotors.com/p-234-stage-4-signature-brake-kit.aspx?submodel=Coupe&submodel2=1.8L, L4&submodel3=#SeeYourOptions

Pair those with the ATE Type200 fluid and you will have a solid brake setup for minimal money. Less than $300 for parts. Pretty decent.

IF you have the coin, a Buddy Club setup is superior but you are looking at $1500+ for performance you probably won't use.

Non-Si kit from @axion_industries :

http://stores.axionind.com/buddy-cl...-12-non-si-4pot-1pc-330mm-imola-orange-front/

NeoGens are listed as all season UHP tire. You have a dedicated winter setup don't you? I would think you would be looking for higher performance summer only tire.

@stormCIVIC

As you plan to upgrade the brake, I suggest that you planning the replacement of your spare tire in the trunk as well.

From what i learn, the BBK will not be compatible with our small donut due to its size. Perhaps you may buy a rim of your favor or current and leave it your trunk.
I never even thought about this, lol. My spare is going to be useless come Tuesday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

So question of the night. I know ive asked alot in the last hour. and I know you guys will respond. Do I go BBK or do I just upgrade OEM brakes with nice set of drilled and slotted rotors?

**when i drive aggressive in the mountains Ive never had fade in my brakes. so let have some input about both options.
Having already ordered my BBK (which really will be BIG compared to the options talked about above), unless you have a bunch of extra cash lying around I would start with a pad/fluid upgrade and see what you feel is different. If you still want more, then go for the BBK. The cost of the first step is negligible in comparison.

See if your spare doesnt still clear the rear calipers. if the rear/front wheels are the same, you should be able to swap the rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the rear. i have not heard of a single rear caliper that the spare wouldn't clear

Having already ordered my BBK (which really will be BIG compared to the options talked about above), unless you have a bunch of extra cash lying around I would start with a pad/fluid upgrade and see what you feel is different. If you still want more, then go for the BBK. The cost of the first step is negligible in comparison.

That's why I ordered a set of new StopTech drilled and slotted rotors and StopTech pads. To be honest it will be an upgrade being that my brakes just never fade

others have said they ship them directly from icbmotorsport.com when ordered from ^.

Yup. Paper comes in the package from icbm.

I would ask @PRO Civic which ones to get and order through those guys. They are way more helpful.

Yup. Paper comes in the package from icbm.

I would ask @PRO Civic which ones to get and order through those guys. They are way more helpful.
they actually recently stopped selling them -
Unfortunately, we had to stop selling the genuine red H emblems! I'm sure some users here have already noticed. The reason is because they were just getting too hard and expensive to get. I'm really sorry about this!

he said oh shoot on my post about procivic not selling them anymore

Correct. The Corsport ones are fine. We have one to replace a "fake" and it was perfect. I would check ICBM direct and see if it isn't cheaper. Procivic may still have a guide as to which one fits best.

Correct. The Corsport ones are fine. We have one to replace a "fake" and it was perfect. I would check ICBM direct and see if it isn't cheaper. Procivic may still have a guide as to which one fits best.
so the corsport is real?

Back