Strange noise after drive.

DMS24

Nevada, USA
Vehicle Model
(Lexus) ES 300h
Here's a new one for y'all. For the past few days, whenever I drive home and turn off my car, I hear a strange noise that sounds like a small air or fluid leak. The noise quiets down after a few minutes and eventually stops. Trying to pin point the sound, it seems like it is coming from the A/C compressor, although I'm not sure that is is leaking as the A/C operates normally. Anyone heard of this before?

Here's some background info for thought. The weather has been in the 100s (Fahrenheit) recently, with humidity ranging from 15-60% (and some rain).

Simply, the noise occurs when the engine is warm, A/C was running, and shut off.

Last edited:
Does it make ticking noises as well?

I notice that mine makes hissing noises too after I shut it off and the AC was running. I'm guessing it's the condensation hitting the hotter parts of the engine. I'm not sure what it is but I'd say its normal.

I notice that mine makes hissing noises too after I shut it off and the AC was running. I'm guessing it's the condensation hitting the hotter parts of the engine. I'm not sure what it is but I'd say its normal.
Not sure if 'normal' is the answer here. Hissing usually indicates a leak. In a closed system, the only condensation I expect is from the under-body drain pipe.

Last edited:
My '09 Civic does it, my '12 Civic did it, and my '13 does it. If its not normal I'm very unlucky with my Civics.

I'm thinking you're ok. If you ever have any doubt just take it to the dealer. It's the safest bet.

My '09 Civic does it, my '12 Civic did it, and my '13 does it.
That definitely is consistency, wonder how many others' Civics do this too. (Can't get to a dealer for a few days to have it checked out right now.)

Yeah. The only reason I mentioned the condensation hitting something hot is because that's really the only sound I can compare it to.

I have the same thing, very obvious on more humid days even if AC is off. It is water going down around the catalyst that sizzles on the hot pipes. I am a bit worried of making it rust sooner but I have read about and seen on other forums as well it is a Civic thing, not sure if Honda all models. Did not notice this on other brands though.

I looked under the car and checked the liquid and it is water, was very close to tasting it to make sure :)

I have the same thing, very obvious on more humid days even if AC is off. It is water going down around the catalyst that sizzles on the hot pipes. I am a bit worried of making it rust sooner but I have read about and seen on other forums as well it is a Civic thing, not sure if Honda all models. Did not notice this on other brands though.

I looked under the car and checked the liquid and it is water, was very close to tasting it to make sure :)

Mmmmmmmmm.

Mine does it too- I actually took a video of it because I was so concerned! I hadn't used the AC before on such a hot day before, so I wasn't used to that sound.

My civic did that too. It's normal as far as i can tell and seemed to come from the ac compressor. Maybe the high pressure refrigerant slowly dissipating back into the low side?

That was my guess because it never leaked externally. High and low side pressure checked through an AC manifold stayed consistent as long as I had the car

Back