Strange smell after driving hard..

Fast4life

Hey guys,

I've got about 1200 miles on the si and only recently starting getting into vtec and redline. After I get home from a spirited drive, there is a strong pungent smell coming from under the car. Any ideas? I don't believe it's the clutch because I don't power shift. I hope it's just the engine breaking in

Metal gives off a distinct smell when you first start heating it up. Particularly your exhaust and catalytic converter. Nothing to worry about.

I noticed the same thing on every new car I got. I think it is the paint, rust proof coating and other metal or coated parts that the first few times they heat up they emit some fumes. They go away after weeks. If you smell burnt then it can be the clutch but you'll feel it right after abusing it. Checking the oil is already mentioned I see :) I would also visually inspect the engine bay that everything looks clean no oil spillage or other parts with obvious blatant dirt or wear on them.

One thing I can say I never found the smell pungent, strong chemical yes. I can compare it to a electric heater being run the first time, metal, paint and rubber all at once.

If it is really strong it would maybe good to err on the side of caution and take it to the dealer.

To bad there's not a scratch and sniff, I can tell clutch/brake/elec/etc. , but not on here.......

I heard they also coat the exhaust systems on imports with a clear coating to prevent rusting on the open seas, and that it burns off. THe hotter you get it, the more it smells. But it goes away.

Hey guys,

I've got about 1200 miles on the si and only recently starting getting into vtec and redline. After I get home from a spirited drive, there is a strong pungent smell coming from under the car. Any ideas? I don't believe it's the clutch because I don't power shift. I hope it's just the engine breaking in
Yep, same thing is happening to me with 1,500 miles... and only after it gets hot. Dealer confirmed, only the metal coatings.

Hey guys,

I was teaching my daughter to drive a stick last week, so I never knew what clutch plates smelled like. Instead of "gee, I wonder what that smell is?" (which is what a hot catalytic converter smells like as the initial coatings wear off) it's more like: "oh s***, what have i done to my BABY!!!"

Back