Sumitomo HTR Z III, Thoughts?

I was going to say tread squirm, tram lining, and a square vs round tire profile. I always find that the steering feels way "off" when I switch tires. I notice it even going between the summer wheels and winter setup. I doubt anything came loose in the suspension just in changing the tires over. I think you are probably feeling the difference in the shape of the tire more than anything. Some tires tram line and pull on every imperfection in the road. I mean, definitely check everything if you think something is loose but I bet you'll find the tires settle down in a few miles. If not, then its just a bad tire/design.

I hated the Dunlops I had a couple years ago. They would flat spot overnight and it took a while for the wub-wub feeling to go away. They also pulled hard in either direction when braking depending on the pavement and they tram lined like hell on the highway. Worst $100 tire I ever drove.

^ had a set of Michelin hydroedge tires that would do that. The slightest thing in the road seemed to make them pull you in that direction.

I'll throw it on the alignment rack probably Wednesday after I get off since I have school tonight/tomorrow, I know that it's off being 10k since I last did it. I thought at first maybe tread design/tires but even cruising straight I fight the wandering. Cruising at 45 in 5th and just barely roll the throttle 1/4 way and it starts running straight left, let off and you can feel it snap right. It not only pulls but if I hold the steering wheel left to stay corrected for the "pull" it will flop the other direction where I have to hold the wheel in the other direction as if the alignment shifted. Almost like the rack is floating with loose bolts or having bad front strut towers that allow the camber to sway back and forth and cause pulling. I've had both scenarios on other cars but never had tires control the car so sporadically and unpredictable.

That's way worse than what I had with the hydroedge tires. That sounds dangerous. I would definitely get under it and check your suspension, sway bar, steering etc

I got the Sumitomo HTR Z II and I've had them on my Si since about March. I had the Michelin Pilot summer tire package from day 1 in July of 2013 and had them worn WAY down. So far I've been more than happy with the Sumitomo HTR II tires. The ones I got I believe are a tad harder compound and the UTQG (wear rating) is slightly higher than the HTR Z III (360 vs 300). They've handled well in the dry and wet conditions. Obviously wet is where you generally see some tires absolutely suck. As of now I would definitely buy them again and I don't really miss the stock Pilots at all. When looking at the price difference it'd be very hard for me to justify the $60ish/tire more that the Pilots would have cost.

I was looking at getting the PS91 but not sure now, lol. The rebate runs out tomorrow so not sure if I should jump on them or wait. Might just wait it out......

The grip of the PS91's surpass the HTR ZIII's but longevity is what I'm curious about. I don't believe the tires are to blame for my problems, at least not yet.

I have -1.5 camber and drove on some really stiff tires (Neuton NT8000) 225/40R17 before. The car would never drive straight,... maybe because it's always driving on it's inner edge :think:
Then I changed back to the stock tires 195/55R15 and it drives pretty neutral; but this isn't really a fair comparison b/w the two.

Tire info: http://www.neutontire.com/tires/nt8000/

I have -1.5 camber and drove on some really stiff tires (Neuton NT8000) 225/40R17 before. The car would never drive straight,... maybe because it's always driving on it's inner edge :think:
Then I changed back to the stock tires 195/55R15 and it drives pretty neutral; but this isn't really a fair comparison b/w the two.

Tire info: http://www.neutontire.com/tires/nt8000/

I am at -1.0 in the front and -1.5 in the rear and have never had problems with the car pulling. Either on the PSS or winter (now all season) tires.

Just reminded me of something!
On Toronto highways, the roads are not always completely flat.
On the fast lanes, the road actually dip on the left side a little bit.
So I always have to steer a little rightward to keep the car driving straight.
I don't have to do that on my stock all-seasons.

I've had -2.0 on the HTR ZIII's a bit before I aligned them and they had stiff walls but never had a wandering issue. I'm almost convinced it's in the right front as bumps tend to "rattle" more on the side than before as well as compared to the left side.

Back