Sunofwolf Random Banter Containment Thread

has been fixed by buying a China spout on ebay :flame::lildevil: Could the VFR 800 vtec V4 2006 be the last reliable Honda? Honda used a powerful supercomputer to make that engine and it has hardest cyl walls in the world. compression 11.6 on reg gas 87. 109HP I must have took a cranky pill!

Attachments

• P1011406.JPG
    P1011406.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
it helps car makers get those fancy tags and certifications you see that say ULEV (ultra low emissions vehicle) and report lower CO2 emissions

The cause of rev hang can be put down to the war on emissions. Recently, manufacturers have been intentionally implementing rev hang within ECU programming to save themselves from a potential emissions scandal. When the throttle is released and the clutch is dipped, an ECU with rev hang is programmed to leave the throttle slightly more open than usual.

This strategy is used because it was found that suddenly closing the throttle produced a sudden spike in gas pressure within the crankcase which emphasized the rate of oil vaporization, thus adding to emissions from the engine. Also, when the throttle is suddenly shut, the fuel mixture suddenly becomes lean which creates NOx (oxides of Nitrogen) which also contributes to emissions.

By keeping the throttle open for a small period of time after the pedal had been released, this pressure spike was avoided and cleaner emissions were achieved. Found most prominently in US-spec vehicles to meet the emission rules over the pond, this pre-programming has frustrated many owners since its development. Rev hang can even be found in Subaru’s WRX STI, along with prominent cases in VW and Hyundai products.

well I do have the cure for that problem the hondata tuner, kind of frustrating to have to go to such lengths to shift the car right, I also want to tune for 93 gas, set the timing a bit better-this did work on the srt-4. I don't have a cure yet for the vtc. I am still researching that problem. I did come up with a solution, Honda has a new part made in 2016 that is suppose to fix vtc problem. But it is beyond my skill level to fix it myself. I hate dealing with car dealers, but looks like I am calling them Tuesday. I am sure the car dealer knows about the problem quite well. Its sounds like its very possible metal fragments' are going into the engine. It's a shame:worms: Such a nice shifter messed up by software.

Happy Holiday, vfr 800 going on the road on weds day:bananawhipdance:, Honda si seems to be working good even with a start up growl.

the growl is not very noisy, its like 2 secs and maybe just oil getting into the up engine parts and maybe normal for these cars. I know there is a upgraded part to fix this problem that came out in 2016-really long time for Honda to fix this vtc acuotor that is in hundred of thousands of Honda's -does look like Honda was dumping cars and not fixing problems. I ran the car up to 91 mph in 4th gear and it seemed like the engine was running perfect. Also I heard Honda tech were even part of the problem by incorrect installing the new vtc actuator and damaging the part installing it. Oil is draining out and the top is out of oil when you start the car.
Honda recently went from 05-20 to 0-20 w-just to save a ting bit of gas might add to the problem. I am going to run only 05-20 or on the next oil change use the platinum ultra 05-20 and see if that makes a difference-it should help. At least I know about the problem and its not serious right now.:worms:

You can replace it yourself that way you know it is done right but from what I understand is it comes back on some vehicles.

On my Z7 it never made that noise but on my Z3 it does even with 5W-30.

Sense so few people have tried out the updated VTC actuator, I don't know for sure if it works or not. Honda was replacing the VTC actuator with the exact problem part and of course if you put junk in, well Hee Y:flame:aa the fix is junk too. Honda figures out then the old VTC just is not going to work and stopped fixing the cars at all. In 2016 Honda finally updated the part, I am assuming that fixed the problem but I do not know if the new part is any good either. To me this seems like a easy thing to fix as the VTC is suppose to close to keep oil in and open when car is started. The VTC actuator lets oil drain out completely and what you are hearing is metal hitting metal inside the engine which makes me think serious damage can happen with metal flake parts end up in the crankcase. Other problems is the chain tensioner somehow gets damaged by lack of oil and then lead to the chain jumping a tooth and then the engine Blows up causing the truck behind you to run your little Honda over and squashed like a Big Bug hitting the windshield. :toilet:

You can replace it yourself that way you know it is done right but from what I understand is it comes back on some vehicles.

On my Z7 it never made that noise but on my Z3 it does even with 5W-30.
So thicker oil does not really fix anything, well I change oil sooner butt no rush. Pennzoil sent me a $20 check, rebate on the Ultra Platinum 05-20 two jugs, that's ten qts of oil. I only paid about $18.50 for 5 qts of their best juice. Filled out form online and saved a stamp too LOL!

Last edited:
14310-R5A-305 this is the part number for the actuator you need the bad part number is 14310-R44-A01 most techs were using the old part number to fix it.

Attachments

• SB-10088283-2280.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
14310-R5A-305 this is the part number for the actuator you need the bad part number is 14310-R44-A01 most techs were using the old part number to fix it.

Mine started this very intermittently about two years ago, but not very often and I only have about 57k on my 2012. I will replace it when I do the timing chain/belt (I always forget which one it is) at 100k or whatever it is unless the VTC actuator gets worse and then I will just do it early.

Mine started this very intermittently about two years ago, but not very often and I only have about 57k on my 2012. I will replace it when I do the timing chain/belt (I always forget which one it is) at 100k or whatever it is unless the VTC actuator gets worse and then I will just do it early.
Yea I was planning on building my original head that was in my car and replacing the VTC in the process so I am not to worried about the one on my car at the moment. But it seems to be fine for the most part now it is blazing out side.

There are many unanswered questions, does this new part work? Why did it take so long to update the VTC part. I have seen it dates back to 2008. Another question is that the problem part wasn't put on all cars, but came from one company. Honda was dealing with. It doesn't look like Honda was really trying to fix the problem and just get out of repairing the defect. I don't see how anyone could repair a VTC in two hours either. Honda would know which cars had the problem by the part numbers. Also the skill level looks pretty high and loads of places where you could make a mistake.:unamusedpopcorn::screwy:

I have not had any problems with my 2009 CR-V and I have coworkers who have Accords with the K24 in them with zero problems it seems to only be a hand full of cars. I am not sure if that is a 100% fix found that SB on another forum that was posted December 2018 and was said to have fixed the issue on the Accord and CR-V. It is a 2+ hour job since you are not taking the chain all the way off so it should be fairly simple but I will do more digging to see what I find.

rubric cube, it took me a few min to figure that out. I actually don't know for sure yet I have a problem or not, but oil drained out of the top end. When cold it would take longer for the oil to get working again, so the noise would be expected to be more. the two hour job well only if you done it before and have all the tools and parts and two people too. and a lift and a clean place:confuzzled: My 2001 neon makes a lot of noise when it starts and then dies down too.:hmmm?:

First ride of the VFR 800 in 7 months, it has new mobil one 10-40 Motorcycle racing oil, new brake fluid, New right Mirror, and a new racing DID 520 $210 chain kit,chain their best one and new light weight ft and rear sprockets two extra teeth in rear for more low end speed so I can use 6th gear-just works better. it was gear very high. Set up for back roads. I may get new tires this year. But most important . I rev 11750RPM:rotfl::tap: that engine higher than any one here LOL!:squirrel:

Attachments

• P1011426.JPG
    P1011426.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • P1011425.JPG
    P1011425.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • P1011424.JPG
    P1011424.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • P1011423.JPG
    P1011423.JPG