Sunofwolf Random Banter Containment Thread

Is the tick coming from the VTC actuator? Or a valve tick?
what is the vtc actuator? Sometimes the injectors will make a ticking sound or a valve tick. I don't really know. it only happens when the car has been sitting and is stone cold. Goes away after a few seconds. and doesn't come back. if the tick goes away with the pennsoil at start up-I would have to give it 5 star. :joke: Bear in mind , I am using a napa sys media platinum filter that flows very fast over most filters too especially the all paper ones. I have heard the engine runs a bit quieter with ultra but I don't yet know. Not worried about sugar pill.:turbobananapoke::unicorn::unamusedpopcorn: I just changed the oil with napa syn platinum 0-20 and the napa platinum oil filter. Before oil change it made the same ticking sound when cold.

The injectors will make a loud ticking sound on start up even my after market ones are loud.

The VTC is the variable valve timing control and will sometimes make a grind noise at start up.

The injectors will make a loud ticking sound on start up even my after market ones are loud.

The VTC is the variable valve timing control and will sometimes make a grind noise at start up.
Perhaps the oil flow has nothing to do with the sound, but I just wonder if the Pennzoil:woot: actually stops the noise then that has to be a major thing- most likely it will not change the tick at all. But why does it do the tick only when cold and sitting for a few days? I blip the key and not start the car to try and pump a little oil up before I start it. I always think on any car this is a good idea, doesn't work on a ford van however and it ticks on cold starts too, I can't blip the key-the van once you turn key it starts-you can't blip the key on the ford. You can blip the key on the dodge :guitar:neon's and the Honda. Don't know if it really helps anything but it doesn't hurt anything either.:banghead: tick tot, tick tot.

I assume it is more than likely just the injectors and they get quite as the motor tends to warm up and the RPMs drop. The injectors are working harder at higher engine speeds so they sound louder.

Dam that's a awful thread, you made me read so the VTC actuator defective and Honda won't issue a recall and try's to cover up the problem for 5 years. I am going to call the Honda dealer and ask them about this problem as a service Bulletin has been issued for only 2013 cr-v and accord 2012 same engine in the SI that can cause the timing tensioner to fail and the timing chain too-blowing up the engine. now I am going to listen the that sound very closely. I may sue Honda for damages.:lildevil: I knew it didn't sound normal-it doesn't sound very bad now but wait till 100,000 miles and I am sure it will be very bad:flame: just imagine all the problems these new shitty Honda turbo engine are having.:face-puke:

I assume it is more than likely just the injectors and they get quite as the motor tends to warm up and the RPMs drop. The injectors are working harder at higher engine speeds so they sound louder.
I hope your right, webb likes to pour fire on me:worms:

My original motor never made the noise but my replacement motor does it just at start up. Good thing for me I still have my original head to swap over when I get my new block.

this is strange I turned on the dash lights for a few minutes before I started up a cold engine and then started the motor-no rattle at all.
there is a ECU controlled VTC oil solenoid device perhaps not working right, I heard its easy to replace? Perhaps as it gets older may need more electricity to get it to work right-just a guess, but any where it seems the key trick does seem to work at least this time.:coffee::confuzzled::spazface::paper:

I could be wrong but there should be two parts to check. You can clean the screen behind the tensioner pulley and clean the the actual switch behind the water pump. sometimes gunk can build up on it with high miles. It is not hard at all probably just a 2 hour job start to finish.

The car only has 18,300 miles on it and the engine is spotless and the oil was all ways changed early, so I don't see how gunk would be around. I don't know what to think. Why no rattle today on a cold engine, the only thing I did was leave the dash light on for a few min and then turn the key to start the engine, No rattle. Maybe part of the problem is software, this car seems to have very buggy ECU as I get rev hang, so I shift kind of slowly. Right now I think I will see what happens again, turn dash on for a shorter time and see if it rattles. I must say the Honda is a extremely sensitive car, a bit of problems caused by faulty software. Just take a look a airplane that crashed because of faulty programming. I even heard, over fill the car by 8 ounces helps with the VTC problem-I don't like that fix because it causes another problem.:shady:

Yea shouldn't have any build up unless you are putting in used oil lol. Just some information for the future. I think your tick is the pulse from the injectors. I'll try and get my injectors on video if it picks it up.

I know a lot about injectors and the sound they make, the sound I heard was more of a grounding noise, I saw the ytube videos with the vtc sound and it was the same sound. I think if the key trick works the vtc oil solenoid might not be opening up correctly when you start the engine that's why the key trick may actually work. the solenoid is in the closed position not allowing oil to flow when the engine is starting.:pinkdomokundance::worms: Went off on the deep end:eek:

Last edited:
  • I am not sure anything is wrong, started up fine today with no grinding sound. I turned on the dash to warm up the software perhaps that's all you need to do, I have no war so I am screwed if anything big fails so I get nervous if something isn't working too good. I don't have war on anything:hmmm?::paper:

I think Ultra Pennziol 05-20 might be the best to run in these cars, 0-20 might be a bit too light.:paper:

I called Honda today about the vtc actuator problem and they said go to the dealer and get a diagnostic on the problem
seems like Honda might be paying for part of this repair
they came out with a upgrade VTC actuator in 2016 to fix this problem
service tsa are out on the 2012 accord with the same engine and were paying to fix some cars
it would seem Honda would just rather fix the vtc problem only if you complain enough
its cheaper than a recall, my guess. My car since it warmed up enough seems to have fixed its self for now
Winter time is another story, I also use the key trick which is turn on the dash lights for a min before starting
seems this problem also has a electric switch involved in vtc, hitting the dash lights for a few sec may get the car to start normal
this was a lot of work, but my car has no war, so big repairs scare me:eek2:

Back