Supercharger without the kit

Poloshirtman

So I have a 2012 civic lx sedan and I want to make it have more HP. At first I didn't want boost like turbo or super, by I couldn't find an alternative that was decently priced and had the same HP gains as boosting. I don't want to get a turbo cause they are too expensive and it wouldn't give me the gradual boost a supercharger will give me. I'm against getting a kit so I was going to get a intake system along with a centrifugal supercharger, intercooler and piping. I don't know how to get oil from the engine into the super and back into the engine at all and I need help figuring out how to connect the belt to the crankshaft onto the super. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to make this work. Here are the parts I currently am looking at getting

Supercharger: http://autoplicity.com/129159-vorte...I-gPP5XFOmo99LhdWVaeh5mRPxQI-7wY4uhoCe07w_wcB

Intercooler: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151319175793?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

MountingBracket: http://m.ebay.com/itm/191563494273?_mwBanner=1

For the $2,000+ it will cost you, just trade your lx in on an Si. Not worth the cost or hassle to boost a non-Si with the minimal gains you will see out of it.

this is for the 8th gen r18 engine to give you an example of the parts needed-
http://jacksonracing.com/shop/supercharger-systems/civic-r18-supercharger-system/

Realistically, you're looking at 4-5 thousand dollars once you factor in flashpro & tuning. @Nix did a ton of research on the r18 and boosting options. I don't remember what thread he replied to, but he had written a novel about it, so maybe he can just link that post.

Truthfully, the engine you have was designed as a gas mileage/emissions car. It doesn't really respond well to intakes, exhausts and whatnot....especially without an ecu tune. The same can really be said for the SI. To benefit from the mods you do, it really needs a tune as well.

If you're really after power, I'd go with squiggy's suggestion. Look at the SI, or see if there are even some used ones you can find as potential trades. The money you'll put into the r18 engine for power will not be beneficial. You could do suspension and style mods to make the driving experience a lot better, which is what a lot of the users here tend to do. If you're not into that kind of stuff... I'd look to the si.

Reactions: Nix
Indeed, I wish I could find that post. In the end it is much cheaper to just trade in and get an Si. If you have a bit older car thats already paid off then I would recommend the forced induction route. The cost of doing it correctly is quite prohibitive. I hate saying this as I have an LX myself but in the end its true.

One big question though - Is your car AT or Manual?

The AT sticks out a lot further than the manual transmission and blocks a lot of the space needed to be able to run intercooler piping to the intake manifold. You also don't have very much room to mount any type of supercharger under the hood. The unit itself will need to be on the passenger side of the engine where the belt already is and you have to run the intake piping around the front of the engine and then connect it behind the engine where the intake manifold is. The Jackson kit really has the best layout and should give you an idea of what you should be looking at. They use a Rotrex unit on theirs because it is small and fits in the space. They also do not offer an intercooler option for AT cars for the reason I stated above. Certainly something custom could be made but there really is not enough space for the piping.

I also do not think you will save any money trying to buy and fit an intercooler kit like the one you posted. Most likely it will not fit in the space you have and you'll be buying a different intercooler unit itself and the piping will not be correct to make the right turns. You'll end up doing a full custom job anyway. I think you will run into the same issue with any of the aftermarket supercharger units available.

You will also need to purchase Hondata Flashpro as their is really not another tuning option, or one that tuners are familiar with for the R18. Set aside $750 for that piece plus a couple hundred for tuning. Easily another $1000 necessary upgrade right there.

The Jackson kit is very complete and cost effective. They also ran their kit on stock exhaust but they do send upgraded injectors. So if you go the home-made route, you need to factor in new injectors at a minimum.

Also, that "supercharger" you linked IS NOT A SUPERCHARGER UNIT. It is simply a support strut for a larger unit. If you read further down you will see that it is listed as a support strut for a Vortech unit. Search the part number and it pops up with this image:

Vortech Mondo Supercharger Support Strut

vor-4fp110-010_ml.jpg

If anything you will be spending over $2000 for a Rotrex C-30 unit. I have not seen a real SC unit for less than $1500. A vortech unit most likely will not even fit on your engine due to the design of the intake/exhaust and where the belt sits.

I don't want to discourage you from doing what you want with your car, I just want you to be informed and not buy expensive junk you will be stuck with.

Another thing to consider:

The Rotrex units are sealed and run their own oil. You just change it every so often and there is no need to run oil from the pan and have to tap/run lines.

I've been doing "prep" mods in case I decide to go this route myself. Ill help you as much as I can but I highly recommend you look into a new/different car if you want more power. The car can handle very well and is extremely fun to drive with a few suspension mods. I have taken mine to the edge of silliness but I like it. The Jackson kit would be the final step into madness but eh, I'm really on the fence due to cost.

The latest addition to mine:

P1020937_zpsnvpzogb7.jpg

Yeah I think I'll just go about a route without a supercharger. It was a long shot but I do agree I'd need an SI. Sadly I cannot get one due to family reasons which is complete bulls**t. I'll just get little things for the engine that might help make the car have a bit more power and a louder exhaust and make the handling better on it.

Yeah I think I'll just go about a route without a supercharger. It was a long shot but I do agree I'd need an SI. Sadly I cannot get one due to family reasons which is complete bulls**t. I'll just get little things for the engine that might help make the car have a bit more power and a louder exhaust and make the handling better on it.
There really arent many things you can add to the R18 engine that increase HP. Best way to improve performance with this car is do suspension mods with lightweight wheels and sportier tires

Reactions: Nix
Back