Tak - The <3 of my 9th Gen Civic FB2

It's happened two or three years ago. My closed one opened the door without looking. It's literally cracked it. From time to time, I feel annoyed when I look at it. What I did was to put touch up paint to prevent from getting rusted. I always want to fix it right. What's the cheapest way? ThanksWP_20170708_005.jpg

Did the HFP suspension installation on my R18. But I didn't do the alignment yet. The tech says just drive the car for about 100-200 miles first.
I can say the ride is good. That feeling "I'm gonna flip the car over this corner now" is mostly gone. The car stays flat at cornering on highway. Nose dive is almost no longer existed. Tried going thru speed bump and few bad roads, I can feel the communication between the wheel and the steering.

However, the only thing is that I don't see it drop. Some say it's due to the engine weight difference. Some say I gotta wait a bit.

Unfortunately, I didn't measure the stock height before doing this. All I know is that I got 2" inch gap at front and 1'5" at the rear right now.

WP_20170722_001.jpg WP_20170722_002.jpg WP_20170722_004.jpg

Last edited:
I looked, and the people who had done measurements had their pictures broken since they were from like 2012 and they haven't been online in years. The hfp is supposed to drop it 3/4" to 1".

@webby
Do you think you can find the stock wheel gap for r18?

@Nix says it's most likely due to the engine weight so it won't drop.

Perhaps I shall wait for it to settle. Still early to conclude?

someone with a stock r18 can surely just take a measurement for you. Just have to find someone stock to do it. I don't know who to tag that's active with a r18 at stock height off hand.

Reactions: Tak
Do you think you can find the stock wheel gap for r18?
maybe @Dom79 can check the wheel gap on his car if he isn't on aftermarket springs/coilovers? He's looking to see the space in inches or whatever between the tire and the fender on the front and back of a stock civic.

Reactions: Tak
someone with a stock r18 can surely just take a measurement for you. Just have to find someone stock to do it. I don't know who to tag that's active with a r18 at stock height off hand.

@webby
Yes, I am trying to do this well.
As a matter of fact, if I see a 9th gen r18 on the local streets, I may just do a quick measurement LOL

I filled the tank before installing the suspension. When the tank need a refill, I will go to an alignment and get a report. I will see if that has settled.

Thanks for your help anyway.

I tell you what guys. I always see 9th Gen civic non-si parked on local streets of NYC.

When I wanted to look for them to do a quick measurement yesterday, nothing could be found. Amazing. Smh....

This morning when I was heading to subway station, I found a 2012 ex stock on 16 stock alloy rim parked nearby but its not parked at level due to the side walk. I did a quick measurement nevertheless. I got a bit more than 2" at the front and 2" at the rear.

Strange comparing to my civic.

Will need to investigate more....

5 days with about 50 miles driven. Still waiting for it settled, if possible. It does look a bit lowered comparing to stock with 15" rim.
WP_20170728_006.jpg

Quick question guys. Something that I've never predicated. I will need a decision quick.

The handling of HFP suspension is awesome, I am enjoying it as it's like riding on a rail. I can beat certain corners almost 60 mph on a NYC highway where I could only max out at 45 mph before.

Unfortunately, there are reasons why I never go all out on the modifications. Comfort-ability is a major one. Especially the suspension mod is one that I always hesitate. Same thing as exhaust mod. I always want to put a whole Tsudo catback.

It appears that my "soon to be 2 year" old boy has some minor motion sickness after the change. I know this motion sickness is prone to my wife's family as most of their family members have it. Some are worse. My wife somehow got rid of it in the past.

During this week of trial, I asked my wife whether she is comfortable or not with the change. She told me that she doesn't feel major difference and is okay with it.

However, we found that our son was "motion-less" once he sat in his baby car-seat. It was not like that before the change. I told my wife it's probably the motion-sickness and can't be a coincident.

I told my wife, let's see it one more week with the baby car seat adjusted and she agreed. If it's not improved, I will provide an immediate action.

I asked a few friends and come up with the following conclusions

1) Change back to stock shock/spring until a second daily driver is ready. I don't really like the stock shock/spring, I know corolla I drove in the past was worse LOL
2) Replace the HFP spring with aftermarket spring like it's exactly OEM feel, with minor drop & body rolls/nose dive eliminated.

What's your opinions guys?

Thanks alot of your input and comments

Don't drive crazy when he's in the car? I don't understand why you'd take it off. Just drive easy when you're driving with your kid?

A member here also suggested that I should replace the rear shock first then rear spring to go from there, and keep the hfp front to see.
A stiffen ride is also harsh in the back, which is probably why my baby doesn't like it.

What do you guys think.

Don't drive crazy when he's in the car? I don't understand why you'd take it off. Just drive easy when you're driving with your kid?
No, I don't drive crazily. Especially I intend to drive slower when my wife and baby are in the car.

We notice that as usual, I was doing 50mph on the highway, first 10 minutes he was okay, after 10-15 mins, he started becoming motion-less.

Back