Texas - raising speed limits to 75 on over 1500 miles of highway

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Texas - raising speed limits to 75 on over 1500 miles of highway

Beginning today, the state of Texas will begin upgrading the speed limit from 70 to 75 mph on about 1,500 miles of its interstate system.

Broadly-speaking, the upgrades apply to most of Texas’ major interstate stretches that were previously marked at 70 mph. The longest section to be upped is a 310-mile stretch of Interstate 20 from the Parker county line west of Fort Worth to just outside of Pecos in Far West Texas, while the most traveled sections are likely Interstate 45 between the outskirts of Dallas and Conroe (north of Houston) and Interstate 10 between Houston and San Antonio. Some 70 mph sections, mostly in metropolitan areas, will retain their existing limits, while 80 mph speed limits in West Texas remain untouched. The full list of newly increased speed limits is on the Texas Department of Transportation’s website.

Signs won’t go up along all 1,500 miles immediately, which means that drivers will still be held accountable for the posted speed limit until new markers are installed.

The move follows the state’s plan announced last year to allow certain roads to be marked at up to 85 mph if approved after a safety feasibility study. The 75 mph upgrade aligns the majority of Texas’ interstates with its neighbors across most of the western United States; Utah is the only other state to allow 80 mph travel on some interstate stretches.

Harrisburg could stand to raise the limit on I-80 cutting across PA to 80mph. There's nothing really happening through there, wide open, perfectly reasonable to do.

• Staff
I've driven it at least once from like the cleve area towards philly, but it's been years. I didn't remember how high the limit was. Maybe they could shoot for 70 at least.

I am glad they changed the speed now I will be under the speed limit lol

Whispers.... :HeDrivesaCorvette:

utah has 80mph limits... as well as parts of texas. People cruise at well over 80 without issue

I think 75 is perfectly reasonable.

Funny story: Driving from my hometown in Jacksonville, FL to my final duty station in Fort Irwin, CA, I was on a highway in Texas that had an 80mph speed limit. I thought to myself, "wow, I can do, like, 89 and get away with it here!" I got pulled over for doing 86mph and was issued a $150 ticket, plus I had to pay an extra $50 so as to not have it reported to FL to put it on my driver's license. I'm not exactly sure how the $50 fee isn't extortion, but I paid it anyway and it never showed up on my license.

that's a new one. I've never heard of such a thing

yeah they do that a lot around here in Texas you pay extra so that it will not be reported and get points taken away...

Back