The official "Ask a Detailer Thread"

I'm a big fan of collinite 845 insulator wax. Hand application there. But... For trying out the buffer I would use Chemical Guys Blacklight. It's an awesome hybrid sealant/wax product. Get a couple black finishing pads and try out the Blacklight first. It lasts a long time too. It's very easy to apply, remove, and it won't stain your trim. It supposedly has some light correction ability but I attribute that more to the "filler" glaze properties it has more than anything. I never saw any real correction with it. Your car will look great though.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys-M31/Black-Light-Hybrid-Radiant-Finish-P529/16-oz-S1/

So I bought 1500 grit, 3000 grit, Meguair's M105 Ultra Cut compount, 3" backing plate for the DA, 5/16" to 1/4" adapter for the 3" backing plate, 3" DA Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Disc to get my newly painted splash guards wet sanded and buffed.
IMG_4293_zps474f7e1d.jpg

Are there anything else I should get?

I'm planning on using the M105 and an orange pad (to a M205 with white pad, if necessary) for polishing. Then sealant and spray 3M defender afterwards.

Those are pretty small and complex surfaces...I'd probably hand sand them. Are they that rough that they need wet sanding?

Those are pretty small and complex surfaces...I'd probably hand sand them. Are they that rough that they need wet sanding?
I will be hand sanding them. There's some orange peel and a couple of runs that need to be smoothed out. I sprayed 5 coats of clear on them so I wouldn't be worried about going through the clear. And that's the reason why I bought a 3" backing pad. I don't really want to hand buff it bc I'm afraid it won't be effective.

It will be my first time wet sanding and cutting.

I apologise if this has already been answered, I read a lot of pages in this thread but couldn't find it so..

I have a dealership decal I need to get off my precious, but its not a one~piece, it is just like our 9thcivic.com stickers, and it's not the "taking off" part I am worried about, I'm sure there will be residual adhesive left on the car trunk lid, so what is best to use to get rid of it without damaging my clear coat? Thank you for all the help in this thread by the way guys, I am very ocd about how clean my car is at all times lol

I apologise if this has already been answered, I read a lot of pages in this thread but couldn't find it so..

I have a dealership decal I need to get off my precious, but its not a one~piece, it is just like our 9thcivic.com stickers, and it's not the "taking off" part I am worried about, I'm sure there will be residual adhesive left on the car trunk lid, so what is best to use to get rid of it without damaging my clear coat? Thank you for all the help in this thread by the way guys, I am very ocd about how clean my car is at all times lol

I always use lighter fluid, but there are other options of course.

hair dryer to loosen the adhesive and goo-gone will also work.

I was going to use goo~gone bc I used to use it at the plastics shop I used to work at but wasn't quite sure if it would be safe on my clearcoat finish, never heard of lighter~fluid though, interesting. Thanks a lot guys :wave:

I forgot to ask: what would be the best tool to use? I was just gonna use one of my thin guitar picks, figured the nylon wouldn't hurt it too much, at least use it to peel up an edge on each letter???

I forgot to ask: what would be the best tool to use? I was just gonna use one of my thin guitar picks, figured the nylon wouldn't hurt it too much, at least use it to peel up an edge on each letter???

Once you heat it up enough you should be able to peel it off fairly easily with your fingers/nails.

Ok guys, I have another question relating to our awful grill. I have seen chad detail the grill on a mini cooper S, and the cheese~grater part is an absolute PITA for obvious reasons, yet I am very curious as to exactly how you get into those small holes and so on. I noticed you also air~brushed the grill with opti~guard..could you please ellaborate on this, or if anyone could comment further with some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm very ocd about keeping my car clean. I'm that guy with makeup brushes cleaning my vents and using precise brush techniques on my carpets to keep them looking fresh lol

Ok guys, I have another question relating to our awful grill. I have seen chad detail the grill on a mini cooper S, and the cheese~grater part is an absolute PITA for obvious reasons, yet I am very curious as to exactly how you get into those small holes and so on. I noticed you also air~brushed the grill with opti~guard..could you please ellaborate on this, or if anyone could comment further with some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm very ocd about keeping my car clean. I'm that guy with makeup brushes cleaning my vents and using precise brush techniques on my carpets to keep them looking fresh lol

Cleaning grills like those sucks! period! Having Opti-Coat on them just makes it a little easier since dirt will release with less effort, but they will still take time. The coating also helps keep them from fading down over time and it will darken the plastic slightly. CarPro DLux is another good product for coating trim like that.

I have various brushes that help me get into those areas to agitate them and get the dirt out. Either way it takes a lot of time and foaming it down on the pre-rinse and hitting it with a pressure washer will get most of the dirt out. Wash often and stay on top of it!

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brushes-M51/Boars-Hair-Detailing-Brush-P565/125-S2/

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brushes-M51/Lambs-Wool-Premium-Wheel-Brush-P568/1-S1/

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brushes-M51/All-Purpose-Exterior-Brush-P748/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-Country-M7/Detailing-Stick-P590/

Rasky

You're the man Chad! The DI site has been my go~to for a lot of stuff detail related for quite some time now because you guys know your stuff! I thank you for the advice, I know it's a pain on any car with this style of grill, I was just curious if it took you just as long as it takes me to do this, and it seems that using a brush and just being patient is your method as well lol!

One more question, a Mr.Jonathan Arrecis here in Spring, Tx is someone you have listed on your site as a recommended detailer: can you verify if he sells the 303 product line as well as any other line you guys offer on the DI site at his shop here in Spring? Or are those products I will have to order myself? I would just like to go there and see how those products look personally if possible. Pics are one thing, but to see things in person is more critical to me bc of my ocd lol

Thanks again Chad, you really do some great work! Would like to see you post up some more work in your other thread sometime, whatcha got goin on these days?

I think I found my twin!
@Brandt I think we were separated at birth! :rotfl:
I love cleaning my car, especially doing the tiny little details.

You're the man Chad! The DI site has been my go~to for a lot of stuff detail related for quite some time now because you guys know your stuff! I thank you for the advice, I know it's a pain on any car with this style of grill, I was just curious if it took you just as long as it takes me to do this, and it seems that using a brush and just being patient is your method as well lol!

One more question, a Mr.Jonathan Arrecis here in Spring, Tx is someone you have listed on your site as a recommended detailer: can you verify if he sells the 303 product line as well as any other line you guys offer on the DI site at his shop here in Spring? Or are those products I will have to order myself? I would just like to go there and see how those products look personally if possible. Pics are one thing, but to see things in person is more critical to me bc of my ocd lol

Thanks again Chad, you really do some great work! Would like to see you post up some more work in your other thread sometime, whatcha got goin on these days?

Thanks!

I only write articles for DI and have no other affiliation with them, so I can't verify that info. If he's selling products he's likely just getting them from DI at wholesale and reselling them. I do this myself for all my clients to help them maintain their cars after their investment with me. I'd just give him a call and ask. ;)

I'll get some more work posted soon. :)

How should I go about giving my engine bay a good cleaning? Should I power wash it? What do I cover? Thanks!

Back