Thinking of getting into civic

Josephdantonio

Nc
I'm had a Gti with close to 15 under the hood. Tranny went and I sold it. I currently have a 2012 grand Cherokee 4x4 which is nice but the mpg (18-21) is killing me. My wife has a grand Cherokee which is 2wd, so we don't need 2 SUVs I go offloading once a year if that and everyone I know has 4x4. So I was thinking about and test drove a 2012 civic ex-l. I really liked it compared to the jeep it gets way beter mpg and cost way less. I financially need to trade in the jeep but I'm afraid I will miss the jeep with the 4x4 that I Harldley use. I'm just looking for some opinions on trading mine in for either a ex-l or an si. Note my wife cannot drive a stick. Also does anyone carry a kayak on their civic? If you went from 4 we'd to this car do you miss, sitting high, not being blinded by headlights, ect. Thanks. Joe.

Quite a few jeep/wrangler/truck owners here who've picked up civics. I'll let them chime in, but they usually talk about how happy they are with the gas mileage now. If you live in an area that gets a ton of snow, winter tires can help out quite dramatically.

I live near Raleigh nc. And when I had my Gti fwd I had snow tires but lived in ct. Never got stuck so I don't think snow will be an issue. I plan on doing bolt on modifications so would you recommend si or reg civic? Thanks for your input

I live near Raleigh nc. And when I had my Gti fwd I had snow tires but lived in ct. Never got stuck so I don't think snow will be an issue. I plan on doing bolt on modifications so would you recommend si or reg civic? Thanks for your input
Welcome......
July.... I swapped out my 94 Wrangler I had for 18 years, the only thing I miss is the ease to run off the shoulder when texters are coming at me(I can get close to the shoulder with my MC). Also don't try straddling anything over 6.1 inches that's lying in your lane. I bought the Coupe EX 1.8 L engine automatic(1st auto' ever, different, love it). You're choice on the ie or not, I'm not seeing where I need any more power myself, after all we're living in a dumbed down traffic environment. I live on the Va./Nc. border where it snows a little each winter, but it's never a problem to drive in without a 4x4(the only thing that's a problem is the other drivers, so being able to run off the road might help with the 4x4 to get out of their way). Raleigh shouldn't be a problem. Most of my cars were 2 door/coupes or sport cars and never a 4 door, I like the looks of coupes, and very seldom carry passengers. If you only carry one kayak you can slide it in the trunk, the back seats fold down. It'll fit more than half the length of a WW single seat Kayak inside(use to WW in Colorado). There's not much to attach a rack to, but I'm sure someone makes racks to cling to smooth body cars, since there's so many of them these days.

Gas mileage difference from the ei & 1.8 , I'd say the ie is 27 to 33, and the 1.8 is 30 to 38, which ever will be close to double what the Jeeps get. As for the ride ht. , I find it's always better to be higher(MC's / Semi's / Jeeps) but backing off on following balances out the difference. riding lower into headlights is worse, but learning to look to the right, and not looking to see if they have their brights on will ease that issue, and the day/night rear view mirror takes care of the followers(I never used my D/N before at night but I do now, and it works fine, and it doesn't get out of adjustment).

either way it would be a good choice but i agree with webby on that 2012 deal thing yes an si takes premium gas but with my si if i drive normal with a once in a while vtec pull @ 31 mpg i fill up every two weeks but i just drive it to work and back
now i have a buddie with a 2012 ex sedan auto and it rides nice too but its really up to you but i say if you wanna have just a lil more fun out of a civic id pick looking for a good deal on a 2012 si i think you'll be happy with it plus all the toys you can get for it will be worth it in the long run ....
plus my buddie with his sedan loves his ex but everytime we meet up he frowns and always tells me man bro i should have waited for an si :banghead: ...
So in reality its what your really looking for in a civic between mpg and fun factor lol .

I live in Goldsboro, just southeast of Raleigh. Had a 2002 Nissan Xterra 4x4. Loved it, the peace of mind having 4wd for the rare snow occasions, but hated the fuel mileage... Decided it just didnt justify keeping it anymore.... Figured it would be fun to go back to a sport compact. Fun, fast, and with higher monthly car payments, I actually do better in the long run on what I save on gas

Hey I live in Minot,nd we get a lot of snow here I traded in my 03 cummins 4x4 for an si and I love it, the 4x4 is nice to have but so far my civic hasn't even got close to getting stuck, and honestly I don't miss much about my pickup , It's a lot easier on my wallet as well

Back