Thump when shifting hard

Bulkybear

It's only happened twice so I don't know if I should be concerned or not. When shifting into 2nd during hard acceleration at redline I popped the clutch out and heard a hard thump. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. What do you guys think, mechanical issue like a motor mount or something, or is it just a bad shift?

Does it happen every time? Car sounds can mean so many things, can you record it? :) In general serious nosiy thumps while changing should be checked out unless you're just driving it too hard.

When I lift the clutch too fast sometimes there is a small clunk, but not noise that much more like the clutch fully engages suddenly and it feels like a thump in the car vibration. I also notice it only in second but it is mostly me not being smooth. The car has a ton of pull in second, maybe it can be done in 3rd as well but one needs to really be in a high RPM and proper speed to do it.

Still not sure it is the same thing as you get

This is what I think could be making the noise while assuming there isn't anything wrong with the car...... When popping a clutch it's the sound of the drive train catching up somewhere in the drive line. So two things can correct it by changing shifting habits. One , not to "POP" the clutch, do it smoothly. Two , not so much clutch , just enough to take the stress of the gears while shifting, and slide it into the next gear asap......... less time with the clutch being disengaged the better the drive train will not get out of sync from all the moving parts.

Thx for the responses guys. I'm not really wanting to do it again to record it though lol. What it sounds like to me is I tweaked me motor enough when I let the clutch out that I banged the edge of the motor mount or perhaps the exhaust hit the bottom on the car. I don't think anything is broken as its only done it twice, both times at redline popping the clutch out shifting to second. I think I may need to he a little bit smoother with the shift to second even at full throttle. Just wanted to know basically if this is a sound I should never hear even when popping the clutch.

Possibly. That was my first guess. I used to have a camaro that did that. Same kind of sound.

hundred shot of NOS blew the welds on the intake?
Fcyws.jpg

^ whatever it takes to win the race. it doesn't matter if it's by an inch or a mile-- winning's winning.

Mine has a similar clunk too when I shift quickly from first to second... If I let out the clutch slower it doesn't happen so I attribute it to being my fault as this is my first manual car!

Inject the torque mounts with window weld. It will stiffen the mounts and make your shifting smoother. :chopwood:

I get the "thump" noise from 1st to 2nd...and 2nd to 3rd. It happens twice, when i put the car into the next gear and then when i release the clutch. I also own an s2k and i work at honda, so it's not a matter of skill.

Ive driven with the radio off and attempted to do the 1-2nd or 2-3rd at multiple speeds and it only doesn't thump if your in vtec or close to redline...which it probably still does but it is much harder to hear.
I wonder what the problem could be and now im thinking cause of this thread it might not only be my 9th gen

I looked under my car because I have that thump too when I shift fast and hard. My ultimate racing down pipe has been slamming into my rack and pinion and has a huge dent in it. Motor mounts what I need to do.

Mine did it only after I had switched to second at redline and popped the clutch out. Hasn't done it since as now I don't let the clutch out as fast shifting into second. Mine definitely sounded like a motor mount or exhaust hitting though. Since you work at Honda can't your or a fellow tech look at it. If so let me know what you find.

Hey bulkybear, I wouldn't worry about it too much! As I have been getting used to shifting my vehicle that "popping" sound that you are speaking of is becoming less frequent. Although 2nd gear does seem pretty notchy most of the time. Any way that's what warranty is for! Try not to worry about it too much!

Back