Time for oil change?

Tom's Si

Sarasota, FL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
It's going on 6 mos since my last oil change. I've only put 2k miles on my car and the maintenance minder says 60% oil life left. I'm thinking I should change it?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the general rule of thumb to change at the 'xyz' mileage interval, OR at 12 months? (Whichever comes first.)

im at 6 months 3300 miles and 30% imd, I was going to do my oil next week, I thought the first oil change your should let it go longer cause it has that break in stuff in the oil?

I heard the original oil that's in the motor is the best to break it in. I honestly waited until 5% which took me to a little over 5k miles to then change to Mobil 1. So now I'll just be changing my oil every 4-5k miles. Depending on the oil life maybe sooner.

The oil percentage is purely an indicator to figure in miles, rpms the car was driven at, cold starts etc. Then it has an algorithm to determine oil life left. Following the indicator to 15% usually ended up being around 7k miles from my experiences.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the general rule of thumb to change at the 'xyz' mileage interval, OR at 12 months? (Whichever comes first.)

Well...... I'm not going to correct you, but I have another view to consider. I think in general that every 6 months, or mileage.
One reason for the 6 month, is so it gets changed before the extreme of summer and from same goes for winter.

PS: In your case, 1st oil change and all that, the factory filled oil has a lot of crap that needs flushed out, anything from assembly juice to 1st time metal particles.

im at 6 months 3300 miles and 30% imd, I was going to do my oil next week, I thought the first oil change your should let it go longer cause it has that break in stuff in the oil?

In your case(Si) I'd leave it for the 5000. They need all the break in they can get. I'd also be red lining it by now to help with break in.

Back