Tint top windshield question

sircoffee

California
Vehicle Model
Civic EX
Body Style
Sedan
Since the clock has been moved back an hour, I always drive with sun directly in front of me coming right below the roof line. (and sunglasses doesn't block all of it). I was thinking about just doing the top 4 - 6 inches or so. How "dark" should the tint be? Is there a set standard when this is done or is it variable like windows? I guess my question is there a light transmission scale like there is for windows are?

For the sunstrip on the windshield I went with 5% tint, thats the usual. It works perfectly, the sun can be directly in your eyes but you still dont even need to squint. Check my avatar for how it looks from the outside

You should know though, the tint will most likely bubble a bit over the dot matrix surrounding the rear view mirror mount (the black dot pattern). Mine bubbled a bit, and you can notice it if you're looking for it. Depends how nitpicky you are, just know that it likely wont be 100% perfect unless youve got a really skilled tinter doing the work. Mine was good and still messed it up a bit

Another option is to cut the tint around the dot matrix and use straight black vinyl to cover that area instead. The whole dot matrix will end up solid black though, so I chose to just have them try their best with tint over the whole thing.

I did 5% on the top strip. It can be done in any strength you'd like.

I had mine installed with what ever the sides were, and did have the middle cut so as not go on the matrix.
As far as blocking the sun, I use the sun visor, works well, and blocks well below what the front tint will block.

I don't use sun visors. Just not really confrontable with them. Can't really explain it but yeah I prefer not using them.

Didn't Hondas used to come with the top already tinted. I swear my old honda had one. I really Like the Blue "gradient" the OEM provides, Will some shops be able to do that?

Last edited:
whp9ajt.jpg

back right / white... some painters tape still on from an earlier contest

We have so many people on this forum driving different cars wth. lol jk:wink1: I always wanted to own a Fit, if only they could have a little bit more power.:(

VIVD_FIT_typec_s0c_02-1024x682.jpg

A lot of people came from 8th, and had 8th gen civics at one point. Some of those people ended up trading vehicles, but stayed on that forum. They merged over here when I opened 9th...and so on. I always pushed people to accept other makes/models on 8. If they're into cars, there should be no problem with someone owning a different make/model.

A lot of people came from 8th, and had 8th gen civics at one point. Some of those people ended up trading vehicles, but stayed on that forum. They merged over here when I opened 9th...and so on. I always pushed people to accept other makes/models on 8. If they're into cars, there should be no problem with someone owning a different make/model.
It is really a good thing to have members with different Honda models. This helps trouble shooting problems that may have already been solved for another model/generation. Also, often a part/idea that worked on another model/generation will also for ours. Diversity helps thinking out of the box.

I don't use sun visors. Just not really confrontable with them. Can't really explain it but yeah I prefer not using them.

I use to not like having the visor down(guess because my Mother always had hers down when driving me some where, and I thought it didn't look cool. And couldn't understand why She drove with it down). That was somewhere from 10 to 16, and didn't use mine until I was in my late 50's. Why? The older we get the more the light hurts our eyes. So I had the front tint installed, more to hide the visors from the outside when they were down. After using them a few years they really make since, so when you get older, give them a try...... this is for everyone that doesn't use them, thinking they're not cool......... Also the older I get the more I don't care what others think about if I'm cool or not.

it's not legal in any state but I have 50% tint on my entire windshield it blocks heat/sun great. and depending how dark your side are it is virtually unnoticeable. I haven't ordered a roll of 50% to my windshield yet but here are a few of my 8th gen w/ 50% on windshield and 15% sides and back. I even thru in a shot I took while rolling to show what it looks like from the inside.
joes phone pics 039.jpg
joes phone pics 141.jpg
joes phone pics 421.jpg
joes phone pics 754.jpg

Thanks for the pictures dude. I'm definitely going to get in trouble if I get all the windshield. I'm probably going to get 5% on top 4 inches.

On the last picture, was it really dark? because it looks like the camera's flash triggered due to low light condition while it looks like the middle of the day.

Thanks for the pictures dude. I'm definitely going to get in trouble if I get all the windshield. I'm probably going to get 5% on top 4 inches.

On the last picture, was it really dark? because it looks like the camera's flash triggered due to low light condition while it looks like the middle of the day.

It wasn't dark probably 5:30 in the summer afternoon. FWIW I've pulled over and never have had the officers look/ask etc.

Depends where you live. Afaik in california, it's only the top 4 inches where you can have it legally tinted. Anything more the 4 inches from the top is considered illegal.

I have a vinyl strip I put on the outside of my windshield. I think it was 10". It ended up not coming down that far due to the slope/curve of the windshield. I live in colorado and haven't even been pulled over for it by civilian or military police.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have a vinyl strip I put on the outside of my windshield. I think it was 10". It ended up not coming down that far due to the slope/curve of the windshield. I live in colorado and haven't even been pulled over for it by civilian or military police.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
The problem is if you're ever pulled over for speed or anything else. That's when they can start picking apart things to add to the ticket.

Back