Vehicle Model
Civic Si HFP
Body Style
2 door Coupe
So looking at two sets

one is $950 (Falken FK453)

second is $750 (Nexen N1000)

please tell me your thoughts! Need tires by the end of the week! :/

I'm going with the Falken. I always see Nexens as low tier tires. Plus, you'll be putting these tires on expensive top tier wheels. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
On a previous vehicle I have had Nexen N1000, Falken Ziex 512, and Falken Ziex 912. N1000 had good grip but wore incredibly fast. I think that the Falken 512 may have had even better grip, but they also lasted much longer. The 912 lasted the longest and seemed to have great grip as well. All three have pretty different tread patterns. This is all in reference to spirited street driving. Never took the car to the track or strip.

Last edited:
On a previous vehicle I have had Nexen N5000, Falken Ziex 512, and Falken Ziex 912. N5000 had good grip but wore incredibly fast. I think that the Falken 512 may have had even better grip, but they also lasted much longer. The 912 lasted the longest and seemed to have great grip as well. This is all in reference to spirited street driving. Never took the car to the track or strip.
so it sounds as though the extra $200 is well worth it? :)

so it sounds as though the extra $200 is well worth it? :)
Well, after reading some reviews i'm not so sure. But I don't think there's enough sample size (4 reviews for FK453, 8 for N1000) for the stats on the reviews to be accurate.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/FK453.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nexen/N1000.htm

This is kind of arbitrary and possibly just good manipulation of my opinion by Falken branding/advertising - but when it comes to tires I trust a set of Falken tires more than I trust Nexen.

EDIT: after looking at the tread online it appears I had N1000's, not N5000's. Yeah, I didn't like them that much. Treadwear sucked.

Last edited:
Well, after reading some reviews i'm not so sure. But I don't think there's enough sample size (4 reviews for FK453, 8 for N1000) for the stats on the reviews to be accurate.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/FK453.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nexen/N1000.htm

This is kind of arbitrary and possibly just good manipulation of my opinion by Falken branding/advertising - but when it comes to tires I trust a set of Falken tires more than I trust Nexen.

EDIT: after looking at the tread online it appears I had N1000's, not N5000's. Yeah, I didn't like them that much. Treadwear sucked.
so even though reviews are in favor of nexens more so... would you go with falkens anyways?

Definitely the Falken's. I'm looking at FK453's for my next set of tires when my 18's arrive, Ive had several sets of Falken tires over the years and I've never had any issues.

What size are you looking at? Plenty of good tires ant the $800-$1000 range.

I've had Toyo Proxy 4, 215/40/18, Goodyear SuperSport, 225/40/18 and was going to buy Conti DW or DWS, 225-255/40/18 for less then $900.

What size are you looking at? Plenty of good tires ant the $800-$1000 range.

I've had Toyo Proxy 4, 215/40/18, Goodyear SuperSport, 225/40/18 and was going to buy Conti DW or DWS, 225-255/40/18 for less then $900.

225/40/18 stretched onto Advan RS 18x9 wheels all around

Just ordered the Falken 912's for the wifes car in 225/40/18. ($675 mounted and balanced.)

They said all season so hopefully they last a little longer than the performance summer tires.

Im a big Dunlop fan. For less than $900 you can get Direzza DZ101's. The Hankook ventus V12 is a very highly rated tire in that range also. (Between $6-700)

(If they refuse to mount them and force me to order up to a 235/40 I'll sell you the 912's cheap. And transport them over to Canada for you.)

Last edited:
Just ordered the Falken 912's for the wifes car in 225/40/18. ($675 mounted and balanced.)

They said all season so hopefully they last a little longer than the performance summer tires.

Im a big Dunlop fan. For less than $900 you can get Direzza DZ101's. The Hankook ventus V12 is a very highly rated tire in that range also. (Between $6-700)

(If they refuse to mount them and force me to order up to a 235/40 I'll sell you the 912's cheap. And transport them over to Canada for you.)
i would definitely take your offer on that but shipping will be astronomical :(

I could always have a reason to go to Toronto on a weekend. I'm not far from the border. We'll see how things play out in the next week or two.

Holy cow Sudbury is way out there!

I could always have a reason to go to Toronto on a weekend. I'm not far from the border. We'll see how things play out in the next week or two.

Holy cow Sudbury is way out there!
yeah.. and i need tires asap :(

bringing wheels in tonight to be fitted with tires for tomorrow :) Will be bringing the wheels home at the end of the day to have them fitted :)

i really hate this voting :(

i asked webby about it before.. it's showing 100% falken right now.. but how am i supposed to know the sample size... it's really dumb.

could be 10 people could also be one or two.. it's hard to say :(

I second the Hankook Ventus V12. I've used them on a couple different cars and loved them. Sticky and quiet but a little vague on steering feel. Great tire for the money though.

Back