Tire options

DiogoDC

woodbridge
Vehicle Model
si
Body Style
sedan
So I've fallen in love with auto X so most if not all of my mods from now on will be suspension related first mod however is good tires I'm running
17x8 enkei pf01 was thinking of getting either
Bridge stone potenza re760
Or
Michelin pilot super sport

I'm leaving towards the 760 keep in mind its a daily and I cannot afford to fund a second set of wheels
Also any recommendations are welcome what you guys think?

Tire size will be 235 45 17

@jrotax101 - This guy races a lot and I think the Michelin is one of his usual tire recommendations.

The Michelin PSS is a great tire from what everyone says. It's not in the extreme performance category but it's very very close in terms of performance and it will last a lot longer.

I would make the suggestion to change the tire size to a 235/40/17. You will maintain almost stock sizing but by dropping the sidewall you will be able to maximize the low torque the car already has instead of trying to turn a taller tire. Also your speedometer will be more accurate.

Stock tire: 215/45/17

Diameter: 24.6"

Width: 8.46"

Sidewall: 3.81"

Revs per mile: 819.7

Your tire: 235/45/17

Diameter: 25.3

Width: 9.25"

Sidewall: 4.16" (Lots taller. This will cost you torque which is important on tight auto-x courses)

Revs per mile: 796.7

At 60mph on the stock tire the new tire will be doing 61.7mph

Better tire size: 235/40/17

Diameter: 24.4"

Width: 9.25"

Sidewall: 3.7" (Almost stock but with the added performance of the larger contact patch.)

Revs per mile: 826.9

Speed comparison: Yes, this tire is slightly slower than the stock tire according to the speedometer but only ever so slightly.

At 20mph this tire is 19.8mph, at 30 its 29.8, at 60mph on the stock tire this one is 59.5mph

You barely lose anything compared to the stock size and gain all the advantage of the wider tire. There are less choices from tire rack in that size but the awesome Dunlop Direzza Z2 is available. I just got a set of Bridgestone RE-11A put on my car and they are fantastic. I was a toss up between those and the Z2 but the Bridgestone was a little better as a DD tire.

I don't think anyone even makes 235 40 to be honest I've looked no one lists them

Both are extreme performance tires. Both designed for auto-x and track sessions.

Dunlop Direzza Z2 in 235/40/17 from tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=34WR7Z2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Bridgestone RE-11 in 235/40/17 from tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R7RE11V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Article about high performance tires and links at the bottom to several articles on the top tires for the year including the Dunlop Z2, Bridgestone, BFG Rival.....

http://www.onehotlap.com/2014/04/more-thoughts-on-street-legal.html

Seat time matters more than anything else. That said, I like the PSS. Another option is the conti DW.

Nix is correct. 235/40/17 is the correct size for your 17x8 wheels. You COULD squeeze a 245/40/17 michelin on there, but would lose a bit of initial response from the tires ( highly doubt you'd notice if you're just getting into it..)

Reactions: Nix
I'm running 215 I don't wanna run much seat time without proper tires I'll be riding sidewall the whole course

Back