Tire Pressure Sensor

Lindsaysarah

Hey I was wondering if anyone else had experienced any issues with their tire pressure sensor light. I have a 2014 Si sedan. The dealership I bought it from filled them with nitrogen and I called my local dealer and they said it was fine to fill them with regular air as needed that they honestly didn't think that the nitrogen fill was necessary. My tire pressure sensor has been acting funny all winter. I recently checked and made all of my tires an even 34 psi and haven't had any issues. Today I was driving down the road and my check tire pressure light and message came on. When I checked them they were all at 35.5 psi (which I understand since I measured them hot they are prone to be higher) what I don't understand is why is the light coming on when they are all an even 35.5 psi?!

There is a sticker in between your driver door that you can only see if the door is open. COLD CHECK your tires to that pressure......
That's it.........

Now if you still have a problem, take them to the dealer and have them program the sensors. Be sure to tell them you inflated the tires to the door sticker cold.

If you don't have a way of adding air at home, go to where you can get air and fill them up to 38 lbs. and go home/work and have a hand carried gauge to check and release pressure as needed.........
Keep car/tires out of direct sun light, while waiting to cool down...... no less than a couple of hours, over night even better.

That link @webby sent says inflation requires re programing, other than that, it's good info. I know because I'm keeping on my tires pressure a lot and have never had to re program mine ever. With the exception of changing my tires, the tire shop reprogramed them on install.
Side note: I've never had to top off my tires from a point so low as to set off my TPMS, so I'm just saying if you maintain them with in a few pounds there should be no more issues under normal conditions.

I have that nitrogen in mine as well and have given up on it, as @webby said, it's really not doing us non racers any good. and haven't had an issue with the TPMS's.

If you don't have a way of adding air at home, go to where you can get air and fill them up to 38 lbs. and go home/work and have a hand carried gauge to check and release pressure as needed.........
Keep car/tires out of direct sun light, while waiting to cool down...... no less than a couple of hours, over night even better.

That link @webby sent says inflation requires re programing, other than that, it's good info. I know because I'm keeping on my tires pressure a lot and have never had to re program mine ever. With the exception of changing my tires, the tire shop reprogramed them on install.
Side note: I've never had to top off my tires from a point so low as to set off my TPMS, so I'm just saying if you maintain them with in a few pounds there should be no more issues under normal conditions.

I have that nitrogen in mine as well and have given up on it, as @webby said, it's really not doing us non racers any good. and haven't had an issue with the TPMS's.
The 2014's + don't use the same tpms like the earlier models. It measures rotational speed instead of having a physical sensor like the 2013's and earlier have.

Well I set all of my tires to 33 psi while they were cold which is what the door said and the light is still coming on . I guess I'm going to have to make a trip to me dealer on my day off.

Did you drive a little bit after airing them up? Im guessing you probably did but, the sensors need to be in motion to read/transmit. You might just need to take a short drive to get them to pickup on the new pressure. If you did that and it's still on then yea, trip to the dealer it is.

Yes, thanks for the .pdf. Dealer just rotated and didn't re-calibrate. :banghead: My light came on, all 4 had pressure...out in the middle of nowhere trying to find air is/was nerve-racking.

I wish the 2012-2013 Honda Civic Models are like this. You have to have the dealership re-calibrate sometimes. My system went heywire

The 2014's + don't use the same tpms like the earlier models. It measures rotational speed instead of having a physical sensor like the 2013's and earlier have.
I wish the Canadian cars had this feature. It sounds like it's really only software that's being used for the TPMS.
If they've removed the wheel sensors inside the rim it would be nothing to have this feature on all the Civics no?
It would be an extra feature to attract potential buyers as well IMO.

"Instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the TPMS on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tire"
the abs sensor may be different, or it could just be software.

"Instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the TPMS on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tire"
the abs sensor may be different, or it could just be software.
Hmmmm now you've got my curiosity going. I wonder if there is any difference physically between a car with and a car without TPMS?

I live in Canada on the boarder with Michigan. I recently installed snow tires on my Honda Ridgeline. The Ridgeline has TPMS and even thought TPMS sensors are not required by law in Canada, I didn't want to see the light on my dash all winter long. When you live in a boarder city, you can find most things cheaper in the US. I called the US Honda dealer for 4 new TPMS sensors and they wanted $90.00 each. I was able to purchase new OEM TPMS sensors from my Canadian Honda dealer for $12.50 each.
BIG BIG SAVINGS. I guess since Canada does not require them, the demand is much less and so is the price. Don't let you dealer talk you into a reprogramming fee..that is just a money grab...my local tire dealer installed the TPMS's for free and they work great.

Back