Tire shine

eric.schwartz.

Hi everyone I was wondering if there's a tire shine out there that does not kick back on to the wheel wells of a car. The car when I use it is great but it does kick back a little bit and it's annoying to constantly clean it off the paint of the wheel wells. Thanks for any input appreciate it.

Meguiar's maybe? I always use it, finish waxing or detailing my windows then go back and wipe it off and never had problem with splatter.

Some ding dong at work I recommended it to put 3 coats on his big *** truck tires and they're shiny as hell but splatter everywhere. Recommended he not waste it and wipe it but he just said but look at that shine. Another notch on his douchery belt.

BTW, some people don't like it because it's so sticky. Others like it, myself included, because gloss will last a few days if no rain or puddles. Hit some puddles and your tires might look like ****.

As @pukemon said wipe it down real good after applying.

Also, there is info out that using certain wheel shine is bad for the tyre. Of course it's a matter of how much effect it has before you buy new tyres, and what you use your tyres for. It's suppose to mess up the tyres own chemistry.

As @pukemon said wipe it down real good after applying.

Also, there is info out that using certain wheel shine is bad for the tyre. Of course it's a matter of how much effect it has before you buy new tyres, and what you use your tyres for. It's suppose to mess up the tyres own chemistry.
That's true and I will admit that I do put quite a lot on but I like to get the real deep wet look if you know what I mean.

That's true and I will admit that I do put quite a lot on but I like to get the real deep wet look if you know what I mean.
That real deep wet look might have you in real deep doo doo sliding off a road cornering too hard because your sidewalls got bling.

@RaskyR1 @Nix may know of a product. A lot of them aren't water based and will rot the tires. I'm not sure what gives a real wet look that won't sling.

That real deep wet look might have you in real deep doo doo sliding off a road cornering too hard because your sidewalls got bling.
Yeah trust me I thought about that as well and I have to be careful with that but I still love that deep wet shine on the surface of my tires. What would be the best product for though?

I don't know about "best". Rasky uses a lot of products and he's mentioned meguiar's hyper dressing. It can be diluted with water in various ratios for more or less shine.

Meguiar's D17001 Hyper Dressing

mr. master detail man rasky uses it on his clients cars,.... so it can't be bad? lol. I haven't used it... let him or nix chime in.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/raskys-work.582/
He may use other products listed in his thread over the years.... feel free to look. He usually lists what products he uses on certain jobs. He dilutes his 3:1 in a lot of his later posts. They say it can go 4:1 with water which would be least amount of gloss/shine. 1:1 being the most shine. He's not after the wet look, but the product can give that by diluting the product less.

The sling occurs with silicone based tire dressings. You want to find a water based one. The Meguiars Hyper Dressing is great. I like Optimum Tire Shine.

As long as its water based you will have less issues with sling. On lighter colored paints the sling can and will stain the paint permanently.

My favorite:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Tire-Shine-P282/17-oz-S1/

The water based ones aren't as shiny as the silicone ones but the tires have a more natural look to them instead of that plastic appearance. They look finished and proper that way I think. Its all personal preference though. But best advice I can give is to use the water based ones. Layer them to get more shine.

Nix pretty much summed it up perfectly.

Not a fan of the super wet, Vaseline look. Megs Hyper Dressing is nice but has to be bought by the gallon so it would be overkill for you. Other good options are Optimum Tire Shine and Opti-Bond, as well as CarPro Pearl.

Back