Tire Size Visual Comparisons - 255 vs 245 vs 225 vs 205

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
255/40/17 Kumho Ecsta XS KU36 vs 245/40/17 Michelin Pilot Super Duper Sport vs 225/45/17 Cooper RS3-S vs 205/50/17 General Tire Altimax Arctic (for lols)
IMG_0494_zpsjozf1b69.jpg

Overall Diameter From Left to Right:

Kumho - 25"
Michelin - 24.7"
Cooper - 25"
General - 25.1"

All the tire sizes are very close in diameter. But visually, both the Michelin and Cooper tires look shorter than the other two since the Kumho and General are brand new. The Michelin tire probably has around 5k to 6k miles whereas the Cooper is close to the end of its tire life. The rubber is reaching the treadwear indicator.

IMG_0496_zpsqnc16kf2.jpg

IMG_0497_zps4uknqauu.jpg

IMG_0500_zpspan2r03f.jpg

Treadwear Rating (from Left to Right)

Kumho - 180AA
Michelin - 300AA
Cooper - 300AA
General Tire - N/A

The Kumho is an extreme high performance tire with a very low treadwear rating (180AA). However, it has the highest dry traction in the group depending on the climate condition. It is meant to be used for road racing and can be used for street use with potential risk involved. Low treadwear tires may have high grip on dry road, but they significantly lose grip on cooler temperatures. They also lose a good amount of traction on wet roads.

Both the Michelin Super Sport and Cooper RS3-S are high performance tires that can be used for both the street and track. With treadwear rating of 300AA, they have a very good tread life and can be used for many track days (depending on how aggressive the driver is).

The General Arctic does not have a treadwear rating since it is a tire that is used seasonally. It is a high performing tire on cooler conditions, whether the road is covered in snow or ice. This tire is not meant to be driven on warmer climates. It is made of a soft compound with soft sidewalls and will wear quickly on a warm dry road.

IMG_0501_zpszunborqm.jpg

The Kumho measures at around 10" in width. It is such a wide dimension for a tiny car...if I ever put it on my Si.

IMG_0507_zps7z3mudvk.jpg

Even though the Michelin is 10mm thinner than the Kumho (245 vs 255), I was only able to measure around 9" on the Super Sports. That's a difference of 25.4mm. I've read a review on Super Sports a while back (I forgot what forum) where someone mentioned that the width was unusually thinner than how 245s should really be. I think the tire was compared to another brand (possibly Continentals or Sport Comp 2s) with the same tire specs.

IMG_0511_zpsltu4rokt.jpg

The Cooper is at a little over 8". Again, this is a 225 tire and it's close to the Michelin's width.

Notice how thin the treads are getting. When these tires need replacing, I'll purchase 215/45/17 all-season tires. Maybe Yokohamas.

IMG_0514_zpszup1w8u4.jpg

And the General at around 8" with a contact patch width of 6.5".

Cool comparison. I'd be interested to see how the Kumhos do at an autocross, not that they are class legal (minimum tread wear of 200). Probably have to wear them in a little before they really start to stick.

Cool comparison. I'd be interested to see how the Kumhos do at an autocross, not that they are class legal (minimum tread wear of 200). Probably have to wear them in a little before they really start to stick.
I heard they do perform very well on the track especially when warmed up. They could be the best bang for the buck track tires. I'm planning on mounting these on my E36 (for the rear) when I start tracking it, but I don't have wide enough wheels for them yet. 8.5" is the minimum size wheel apparently but provides a mild pinch.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I heard they do perform very well on the track especially when warmed up. They could be the best bang for the buck track tires. I'm planning on mounting these on my E36 (for the rear) when I start tracking it, but I don't have wide enough wheels for them yet. 8.5" is the minimum size wheel apparently but provides a mild pinch.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Only one way to find out for sure.

I have been driving around on the General Artic's all summer since they wore down past their usefulness towards the end of last winter. They are horrible as a non-winter tire even though they are touted as dual compound for all-season driving. They squeal a lot during cornering, don't grip well in the rain from a standstill, and have almost no traction with moderately quick cornering in the rain. Easy to spin them in general.

Why would you do that to yourself? :giggle:

I didn't bother running my old generals after winter since the new ones were taking too much space.

Why would you do that to yourself? :giggle:

I didn't bother running my old generals after winter since the new ones were taking too much space.

Cheap, lazy, thought I would be riding the Fury way more than I did. Also thought it could be fun trying to destroy them.

Back