Tires and Wheel Sizes (ALL Possibilities)

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
So, I've been doing a bit of research and found this excellent resource on Tire and Wheel sizes. I'm no expert but this is what I have read and understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Take note that if it says Warning: Wide Tire or Very Wide Tire there could be a tire bulging issue. I.E. The tire may be too wide for the rim and so the extra rubber may bulge. However, if you only go one, or probably even two steps above the 'normal range' tire width, you should be okay. Please verify before with a pro. EX. My present tires are 215/45 R17, but my next tires will be 225/45 R 17. If you look at the LX chart it states that my new tires are "Warning: Wide Tires" but I know from research that these tires will not bulge. I'm pretty sure the 235s probably would not bulge either, but that would need to be verified. Also, if it says "Warning: Very Wide Tire"....you will want to make sure that this tire fits in your wheel well.

If you are looking to do the opposite, I.E. stretch your tires, then see the thread that AlienPrime started: http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/stretch-tire-fittings.6486/

In any case, it is advisable to check with a pro before slapping down big cash on new tires.

See below for Si and EX tire sizes (after this LX chart)....

Tire Sizes All Rims.png

Here is the link to the EX chart.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/2012/1600625/honda_civic_ex-l_sedan_automatic.html

Si chart below.

Last edited:
I put the Si one on pg 121 of mod chat :p
tyceX6e.png

i'm going with the 225/45/17 for a difference of 1.4. How can i calculate the implications of that?

Last edited:
i'm going with the 225/45/17 for a difference of 1.4. How can i calculate the implications of that?
well we need more information :)

What wheels are you putting them on?
Stock wheels are 17x7, so 225/45/17 would be too big. It would fit, just would be worse on fuel efficiency and look very odd. lol
very ugly in my opionion unless you want a monster truck look
P9090045.jpg

well we need more information :)

What wheels are you putting them on?
Stock wheels are 17x7, so 225/45/17 would be too big. It would fit, just would be worse on fuel efficiency and look very odd. lol
very ugly in my opionion unless you want a monster truck look
P9090045.jpg
There's nothing wrong with 225/45/17. They are perfect for 17x7, imo.

Last edited:
Testify's auto-x setup. 235/40/17 Star Specs on 17x7 stockies. Lol. The width looks just the same as the 225s on my car.
IMG_0277-1.jpg

IMG_0274-1.jpg

how much of a drop did those springs give you again?? :confuzzled:
Tanabe rated it as .6" front/.9" back on an EX. But I think since the Si has a bigger engine, the drop is lower. It's about 1 finger gap. 1st pic was on stock height, btw.

Last edited:
Tanabe rated it as .6" on an EX. But I think since the Si has a bigger engine, the drop is lower. It's about 1 finger gap. 1st pic was on stock height, btw.

Yeah I know bro, you could definitely notice a difference...hassssss to be more than .6". Did they settle in already? I'm probably going next weekend to sears to get my alignment done.

Yeah I know bro, you could definitely notice a difference...hassssss to be more than .6". Did they settle in already? I'm probably going next weekend to sears to get my alignment done.
I edited my post. It's .6" front/.9" rear. The front drop is more noticeable. Lol. I'll post pics of the drop on my build thread.

Last edited:
Im at 225/45/17 on a 17x7.5

It fits very well. My speedo is off by less than 1% BUT my original tire size was 205/55/16.

On a stock 2012+ si with factory tire size of 215/45/17 going to a 225/45/17:

1.4% difference means that when your speedo says 60mph you are going 60.9mph.

Comparison by other numbers:
Stock:
Sidewall 3.8"
Diameter 24.6"
Revs/mile 819.o
New tire:
Sidewall 4.0"
Diameter 25"
Revs/mile 808.0

In all honesty it's a very decent tire size for everyday performance. Fairly comfortable, fits a wide range of wheels, & stays pretty darn close to stock. However...

From a purely performance standpoint:

Take note of the fact that the tire sidewall has increased by 0.2"
This means you have reduced your effective torque on a car with low tq anyway.
If you really want the best performance size tire on the stock rim as Dar-Dar already posted:
The 235/40/17 is a much better size.
Reduced sidewall height from 3.8" to 3.7"
Increased contact patch.
For track, auto-x, and other high performance events this is the size to run.

Im at 225/45/17 on a 17x7.5

It fits very well. My speedo is off by less than 1% BUT my original tire size was 205/55/16.

On a stock 2012+ si with factory tire size of 215/45/17 going to a 225/45/17:

1.4% difference means that when your speedo says 60mph you are going 60.9mph.

Comparison by other numbers:
Stock:
Sidewall 3.8"
Diameter 24.6"
Revs/mile 819.o
New tire:
Sidewall 4.0"
Diameter 25"
Revs/mile 808.0

In all honesty it's a very decent tire size for everyday performance. Fairly comfortable, fits a wide range of wheels, & stays pretty darn close to stock. However...

From a purely performance standpoint:

Take note of the fact that the tire sidewall has increased by 0.2"
This means you have reduced your effective torque on a car with low tq anyway.
If you really want the best performance size tire on the stock rim as Dar-Dar already posted:
The 235/40/17 is a much better size.
Reduced sidewall height from 3.8" to 3.7"
Increased contact patch.
For track, auto-x, and other high performance events this is the size to run.

So no rubbing issues with stock wheels and stock suspension running 235/40/17?

No issues but it is a track/performance/boostedneedtocontrolwheelspin size. It won't raise you car up. The sidewall is actually shorter in the 235/40 by a tenth of an inch.

It should fit fine on a 17x7 but that is the minimum width I would even attempt.

Safe Gabe has some experience fitting this size on a 9th gen.

Also consider that different manufacturers have slightly different "actual" widths based on tread pattern. Measuring a 225 from two different companies with a ruler may yield slightly different numbers.

Testify's auto-x setup. 235/40/17 Star Specs on 17x7 stockies. Lol. The width looks just the same as the 225s on my car.
IMG_0277-1.jpg

IMG_0274-1.jpg

Last edited:
you won't rub but it certainly isn't a good idea. It'll also look very ugly :( make your car look like a monster truck :(

is your car lifted?

Ugly? How so? It's much better looking than stretching 215's on a 9. It ends up looking cartoonish. Camber and all that other nonsense? It'll look broken. Not to mention you can actually drive the car to it's potential.

So no rubbing issues with stock wheels and stock suspension running 235/40/17?

I fit 235/40/17's on my car, mounted on 17x8, with Road Magnet springs. It only rubs on very hard cornering WITH an imperfection in the road, ala dip/pothole, not to mention that the rubbing occurs on a tab that can removed.

For the stock wheels, I'm not sure how the 235 will look. I think the stock wheels and tires look somewhat stretched because of the rim protector on the tire itself.

Ugly? How so? It's much better looking than stretching 215's on a 9. It ends up looking cartoonish. Camber and all that other nonsense? It'll look broken. Not to mention you can actually drive the car to it's potential.

did i say camber?

did i say 215 on 9" wide rim?

track performance would be a 255 on 9" rim with relatively low offset. If your really serious then get forged wheels. but seriously.. it's a fwd car... there is only so much you can do

Guys, totally different worlds. Stretch/stance/looks and track.
(not that either is for everyone or that stretch and general good looks are the same thing)

Will the tire fit? Yea.
Will it look very meaty in there? Yea.

Does AP like meaty look? Nay.

Also if you are going to be doing auto-x and want to stay in stock class on the stock wheel then you are going to want to try and fit the largest tire you can. The 235/40 being at the limits of what can be done on the stock setup.

Last edited:
Guys, totally different worlds. Stretch/stance/looks and track.
(not that either is for everyone or that stretch and general good looks are the same thing)

Will the tire fit? Yea.
Will it look very meaty in there? Yea.

Does AP like meaty look? Nay.

Also if you are going to be doing auto-x and want to stay in stock class on the stock wheel then you are going to want to try and fit the largest tire you can. The 235/40 being at the limits of what can be done on the stock setup.
haha you funny :)

Wasn't trying to be mean or anything lol Just didn't say anything that he said i did lol

Reactions: Nix
Back