Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric.schwartz.

Hi everyone so right now, I'm still running the stock continental sport conti pro all season tires. Next year though I will need a new set of tires for all four wheels of course. I don't think I want another set of all season tires because I do a lot of hard braking, hard cornering and acceleration and I need summer tires especially for the low profile of course. My options are Pirelli PZero, Falken rt-615k tires and Michelin Pilot Supersport if they are available. What does everyone recommend here? I know all season tires are good in the winter through for snow and yes I do living in Jersey but I still prefer summer tires and no, of course I am NOT using two sets of wheels. Thanks for your help.

Everyone in here is going to tell you to go with the Mich Pilot Sport. But you don't want to run a dedicated winter set up. I would suggest a high performance all-season tire since most(if not all) summer tires are horrible in snow/really cold temps.

Everyone in here is going to tell you to go with the Mich Pilot Sport. But you don't want to run a dedicated winter set up. I would suggest a high performance all-season tire since most(if not all) summer tires are horrible in snow/really cold temps.
I don't think the Michelin Pilot super sport tire is actually available for our car though and I don't want just the Pilot Sport model . I know everyone is probably going to tell me high performance all season tires, but I am still looking at summer tires. Would you recommend the Falken?

If you aren't going to buy winter tires, there isn't a point to even having a discussion about summer tires. Summer tires basically do not work below 40 degrees because the rubber compound isn't designed for cold temps.

I understand you may understand and be willing to deal with the issues of running a summer tire in the winter, but you need to realize you are risking other people's lives. How would you feel about a manslaughter charge as a result of not using the proper tires?

If you aren't going to buy winter tires, there isn't a point to even having a discussion about summer tires. Summer tires basically do not work below 40 degrees because the rubber compound isn't designed for cold temps.

Yeah, my Super Sports are still on and I went to pass someone on the way home. Nothing but spin/traction control/power cut. 39 degrees out and the person I was passing was only going 35.

I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had the traction control off as I normally do when the summer tires are on. Definitely did not like the way the car felt/reacted.

If you want a blend of winter handling and good summer days I'd get the Michelin MXM4s, its not an aggressive summer tire but if you want to use it during rain, It works. I have it on my 1999 Honda Prelude and does well when it rains but I don't drive 80mph+ in the rain like some people here in my city.

MXM4s are the stock spec tire for my accord, theyre ok tires, after a particularly fun trip to the dragon the tires were completely shot in terms of their grip despite being at 5/32. I replaced them with Continental DWS06s and they are far better and cheaper than the MXM4s

MXM4s are the stock spec tire for my accord, theyre ok tires, after a particularly fun trip to the dragon the tires were completely shot in terms of their grip despite being at 5/32. I replaced them with Continental DWS06s and they are far better and cheaper than the MXM4s
I put the MXM4's on mine about a year ago, and they did well though last winter, I also did the Dragon with them and liked them......
BUT.... I'm not pushing them hard enough on the dragon, or daily, but for normal driving these are great tyres........ If it wasn't for winter I'd run the Mich-pilot-SS......... I love the Mich Pilot Road 3 for My MC tyres..........

If there was just one word that I would pick to describe a good road tyre, I'd have to say "Micro-Sypes"........

I don't think the Michelin Pilot super sport tire is actually available for our car though and I don't want just the Pilot Sport model

Have you looked? :tongue: Pilot super sports are available in 225/40/18....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ear=2015&autoModel=Civic Coupe&autoModClar=SI

If you're unwilling to run an all season or a dedicated winter setup for snow then this is really the only option I would suggest.

The Falkens should not even be on your list. There are other Falken tires available but the rt615 is not one I would suggest you even try to run in the rain. Its in the same category as the Toyo R888. Those are street legal motorsports and DOT approved track competition tires. Not for DD-ing your Civic around. Those should really be reserved as track day and auto-x tires. Even at that, most guys won't run that extreme of a tire unless they are top tier drivers.

I've been running a set of RE-11As from Bridgestone and they are supposedly the "best" in wet conditions of all the extreme performance tires. Let me tell you, they are scary in heavy rain and even light rain means extra caution. If thats a "good" rain tire, I would hate to see what happens with one thats worse. The last few days have been cold and I've been lazy about getting the snow tires on. These tires are getting very very skittish on cold pavement. It seriously feels like the alignment is way off from the way they pull when its below 50. Not below 40, 30, freezing, snow, but 50. Its noticeable.

You also don't have to use two sets of wheels. You can always have the tires swapped. Thats what lots of people do. Whatever route you choose, be careful.

Have you looked? :tongue: Pilot super sports are available in 225/40/18....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ear=2015&autoModel=Civic Coupe&autoModClar=SI

If you're unwilling to run an all season or a dedicated winter setup for snow then this is really the only option I would suggest.

The Falkens should not even be on your list. There are other Falken tires available but the rt615 is not one I would suggest you even try to run in the rain. Its in the same category as the Toyo R888. Those are street legal motorsports and DOT approved track competition tires. Not for DD-ing your Civic around. Those should really be reserved as track day and auto-x tires. Even at that, most guys won't run that extreme of a tire unless they are top tier drivers.

I've been running a set of RE-11As from Bridgestone and they are supposedly the "best" in wet conditions of all the extreme performance tires. Let me tell you, they are scary in heavy rain and even light rain means extra caution. If thats a "good" rain tire, I would hate to see what happens with one thats worse. The last few days have been cold and I've been lazy about getting the snow tires on. These tires are getting very very skittish on cold pavement. It seriously feels like the alignment is way off from the way they pull when its below 50. Not below 40, 30, freezing, snow, but 50. Its noticeable.

You also don't have to use two sets of wheels. You can always have the tires swapped. Thats what lots of people do. Whatever route you choose, be careful.
Hey there, of course I really really appreciate everyone's help including yours! An explanation of the tires and the treads! I tired to search for the Michelin tires but I just hadn't seen them for our cars, that's why. If the pilot Super Sport tires are available and I would seriously consider them of course. Yeah I know it's about bad tires better than a gift be a panda but you gotta bring it down to pepboys or some for mechanic because I don't have the necessary tools to do it myself. And I'm not running two sets of wheels that's ridiculous. I know all season tires usually is what people go with, but I want better handling in the summer something better than what all season tires can provide to me.

Why do you think running two sets of tires is ridiculous?

Why do you think running two sets of tires is ridiculous?
Maybe not ridiculous, but more of a peanut butter and more of a nuisance then it's probably worth. Main office I can afford two cars in winter car and a summer car like other people in life. But I'm almost willing to deal with the summer tire conditions in the winter. Sophia tire is is also a nuisance and can be annoying. Unless you've got the tools at home and you have the experience and not a problem at yourself it's also very costly isn't it?

Maybe not ridiculous, but more of a peanut butter and more of a nuisance then it's probably worth. Main office I can afford two cars in winter car and a summer car like other people in life. But I'm almost willing to deal with the summer tire conditions in the winter. Sophia tire is is also a nuisance and can be annoying. Unless you've got the tools at home and you have the experience and not a problem at yourself it's also very costly isn't it?

Just swapping the tires is simple. You need a jack and a tire iron/wrench/sockets. That is it. Reprogramming the TPMS could be an issue depending on year.

Cost-wise all you have is the extra cost of the steelies for the winter tires. Just think of the cost of the winter tires as purchasing a second set of summer tires. You will still be getting the mileage out of them. Otherwise, winter tires are fairly inexpensive and with using the appropriate tire for the conditions, the tires will have better life. Running summer tires in the winter is actually going to significantly decrease the life. They will turn hard with the cold. A hard substance (hard tire) rubbing against a harder substance (road) is going to wear the tread down faster.

I figure my Super Sports will last me around 4-5 years and the winters will last 3-4 years. If I used an all season, I would probably get 3-4 years out of them, but not have nearly the performance in the winter or summer. Hell, the all seasons I had were garbage once I hit over 200whp. A winter tire became an absolute must.

For comparison, I live in Northern Indiana. Winter here is similar to what you are accustomed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back