Torn on what dampers to pair with Swift Spec-R springs

Which damper combination?

• new OEM all the way around

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • new OEM front / Koni Yellow rear

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Koni Yellow inserts fabricated into OEM front strut housings / Koni Yellow rear

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

homegrown

Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FB6 Sedan
Hey everyone -
I need a bit of advice for an upcoming suspension mod on my 2014 FB6.
I am going to lower it with Swift Spec-R springs, but I'm not entirely sure what dampers to use.
I have a new set of Koni Yellow rear shocks that I could use, but I'm not sure if new OEM dampers might be better?
And if I decide on the Konis in the rear, do I fabricate Koni dampers into the front struts, or just get new OEM front struts?
I will also be using Buddy Club rear camber arms, if it matters.
Car is a daily driver with just over 85,000 miles on the clock - I commute about 130 miles daily.
Thanks for your input.

Go with the Koni Yellows all around since the stock shocks won't be able to handle the Swift Spec-R spring rates. They'll blow and you'll end up reworking the entire suspension.

If you already have the rears, get the fronts done with Koni inserts. People say it's night and day

I have the Swift spec R on my original OEM strut/shock (installed at 50k miles and I am at 65k now) and I enjoy the ride greatly. I did the alignment at a Honda dealership and everything was in spec without any additional chamber bolts or arms. I drive 90 miles round trip 4 days a week (all highway) and have no complaints on the stiffer springs. I never have to slow down for bumps because it's only 1.2in lower and unless I am turning I don't even notice the springs are installed. I went this route because my OEM struts/shocks were in good shape. Around 80k miles I will be upgrading to buddy club kit because of the high quality.

I don't know that you will feel a difference between OEM and koni if you just use the car for daily driving, but on the autocross / track the koni will outperform.

The only reason not to do the Koni setup is cost. Truharts are a budget option and i would steer you toward those over a new set of OEM struts. Cost is probably comparable.

I don't know that you will feel a difference between OEM and koni if you just use the car for daily driving, but on the autocross / track the koni will outperform.

If you set the Koni to full soft it will feel like OEM. If you put it halfway to full stiff it is very very different ride quality. Soft in the front and stiff in the rear will make the car handling completely change as will doing other silly settings but you get the idea.

I talked with Chris from RedShift Motorsports about my future suspension setup, and he recommended TruHart shocks with the Swift Spec-R's for daily driving (and from my decision to get the Swift springs to begin with). While he had rave reviews for the Koni's, he says it's overkill if you're just going to daily your car. Definitely worth it if you're gonna track it (which I probably won't). For the price of fabrication of the Koni fronts, the back dampers and springs, it'll pretty much come close to coilover price points. I'm saving about $200 by going with the TruHarts. You can use that on other parts! I recommend speaking with Chris if you have further questions/concerns. He is a member on this forum, but you can also find his website and email via google of RedShift Motorsports. He's very responsive.

Back