Towing with a 2012 SI?

PistolPete

St Louis
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Good day! I've recently purchased a new Civic SI coupe and the more I drive it the more I like it. I see there are trailer hitches available for the new Civics and I have a couple questions.

First, has anyone fit a trailer hitch to a 2012 SI? I think perhaps the SI has a different exhaust than the other Civics which may or may not cause fitment issues.

Second, has anyone actually towed with an SI? I've got a place on a lake that's 162 miles from my house. I keep a jet ski down there on a trailer and put it in when I'm there. So I tow it twice for about 100 yards each time I'm there. Normally I take my truck to do this, but I'm tempted to put a hitch on my Civic (if I can) for this purpose. I'll still use the truck when I haul it any distance, but the difference between 17mpg in my truck and 31mpg in the Civic ads up when you do 300 miles on a weekend.

Now, before people warn me of warrantees and how I'll destroy the engine or clutch, I'm not concerned about either of those things. I don't think either are a significant risk. For most of motoring history cars with a lot less power and torque and way crappier transmissions were used for occasional towing. Heck, in the 90's Jeep Wranglers with the 4 cyl were rated at something like 130hp and 130 ft-lbs, weigh a bunch more than the Civics and were rated to tow 2,000 lbs.

Any constructive input is appreciated!

I don't have an SI manual handy - but it's possible to tow with it. I think this was page 208 in the owners manual.

This is for the 2012 civic - (not si)

Total trailer weight
Maximum allowable weight of the trailer,
cargo, and everything in or on it must not
exceed 1,000 lbs (450 kg). Towing loads in
excess of this can seriously affect vehicle
handling and performance and can damage
the engine and drivetrain.

■ Tongue load
The weight of the tongue with a fully loaded
trailer on the hitch should be approximately
10% of the total trailer weight.
• Excessive tongue load reduces front tire
traction and steering control. Too little
tongue load can make the trailer unstable
and cause it to sway.
• To achieve a proper tongue load, start by
loading 60% of the load toward the front
of the trailer and 40% toward the rear.
Readjust the load as needed.

■Towing Load Limits
HF model
Except HF model
1Towing Load Limits

Check if all loads are within limits at a public scale.
If a public scale is not available, add the estimated
weight of your cargo load to the weight of your
trailer (as quoted by the manufacturer), and the
tongue load.

Break-in Period
Avoid towing a trailer during your vehicle's first 600
miles (1,000 km).

===
another user: "Dentrecords" traveled like 3k miles with a box uhaul trailer behind his 8th gen si without issue.

I will show this pic and say as long as you don't exceed the tongue or trailer weight or use a steep ramp you will be good...

Yes this a Honda S2000 towing a boat...
DSC00100.jpg

I have a buddy who used to tow a fiberglass bass boat with a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder 2wd Ford Ranger with no problem and it cannot handle more than like 2,000 lbs

I've towed a ~1500lb trailer all the way from Eastern Ontario to Vancouver, BC through the rocky mountains in an 8th gen Si. Approximately 3000 miles or so. The only thing worse for wear was my rear tires, which definitely lost a lot of tread. You'll be fine.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll have to get a hitch ordered and get that on.

Your a champion! Would like to see how this turns out
Last night I swapped out the stock sway bar and installed the trailer hitch. The sway bar install was super easy. The hitch install was more of a pain. I'm glad my brother came by to help, it was way easier with two people. Having to trim both the exhaust heat shield and the rear plastic air dam (or whatever it's called) on a brand new car was a bit concerting. But, everything went on and it fits well. I'll actually hook the jet ski up to it this weekend, I'll let you know how that goes.

My first trial pulling a jet ski with my Civic SI went well. Between where I keep the jet ski and the boat ramp is steep gravel roads, it never felt like the Civic was struggling to pull it or slow it down. It pulled it out of the water just fine. The only thing that would make me nervous to use it as a frequent tow vehicle was the feel of the brakes. I could definitely tell the brakes were having to work harder coming down hills. On my truck you can't really tell when something small like a jet ski is behind it.

BTW, the jet ski and trailer comes in around 1,200 lbs. So if you are thinking of towing with your SI don't fret. It seems like it's up to the job. I must say it was nicer riding to the lake and back in a new, comfortable, air conditioned car instead of my old truck with the windows down. :)

Glad to hear man, just need slotted rotors and better pads and you should have better braking

Just my opinion... but a trailer hitch on a Si. It just seems wong.
I understand wanting to tow your ski, but...
I'm just that way. Tow hooks and having things swinging from the rear like toys and baby shoes... all that stuff bugs me.

Back