Trouble getting into gear @high rpm

JesseFB6

Chino, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
As the title says, I am experiencing trouble getting into gear at high rpm or pretty much close to redline @ around 6,800+
2013 Si/ 104k miles/ trans fluid was done at 90k

1st to second gear WOT goes in pretty smooth at redline. Where i am feeling the biggest issue is when i am trying to get into 3rd gear and 5th gear.

I can get it out of second easily and the motion to go up and over to the right is fine but the motion to go UP all the way onto 3rd is feeling almost like a lock out (same exact thing going into 5th during wot)
Ive been sorta putting this off because i dont really race and i think to myself i shouldnt be driving like that anyway but with nobody on the freeways right now going to and from work i like to enjoy my car a bit. So now its bothering me more i guess. my go to shop is $450 to take out the trans and put it back in after repairs.

Another little tid bit: A friend of mine has a 2015 si so i had him drive my car. I rode along with him and told him to rip it and he did. He said it feels great and i felt as if he was going through the gears perfectly like better than me lol. So now is it maybe psychological? am i shitting the bed at high rpm?

Maybe you’re not getting the clutch down far enough and holding it in far enough until you’re already in the next gear?

that is exactly what my coworker told me yesterday. i moved my seat up a click and tried to get closer. So i tried it on the freeway... basically going through the motion slowly and it still doesnt want to go in

Synchros, clutch pedal needs adjusting, shift fork is going out. Have u done any work as far as tranny parts?

I’ve beat the crap out of my car and it still shifts smooth. Also a 2015.

Have done absolutely nothing to the transmission. Maybe, being at 104k miles it may be time

No way if u haven’t been treating the car rough. Check the clutch master cylinder. I’m trying to think what else it could be. Also when’s the last time you’ve changed the tranny fluid?

tranny fluid was done 15k miles ago at around 90k.
whats required to check the master cylinder.

Just the fluid level in the cmc. U can visibly see the reservoir next to the brake cylinder res.

Only thing I can think of is your synchros is worn. If it doesn’t go in and is grinding then ur synchros is done. Hopefully others can chime in on this. I would hate for them to pull your tranny out for something that’s an easy fix.

Ive done a bunch of reading trying to find stories similar to mine.
What are the symptoms of worn synchros?

It’ll grind going into gear at high rpms then progressively get harder to go into gear. But it’ll also pop out of gear. Sometimes makes a weird sound I can’t describe. But this is all from my b series cars. I’ve never experienced it with the si. The cdv’s in these cars can do funny things when trying to drive fast or spirited.

I have a feeling its the synchros. Cant be to sure about that unless the transmission is out tho right?
I will have my mechanic take it for a spin and see if he can pin point the issue to the best of his ability just by driving it. Also hope its not ME

this sounds more like the cdv issue to me. before removing the trans i would try installing the k tuned master and slave and see if theres a difference. i find shifting gears a little difficult at high rpm as well, im used to driving 90s and 2000's civics without the delay valves.

interesting! i read about this part. I really might have to give this a try. thank you

i only say this because you said your friend had no troubles. its a rather in expensive part to replace and kind of a worth while mod. its on my list to do over the winter. when i first got my car i found i would grind going into 3rd a lot on fast shifts. i had to slow it down a lot.

yeah i slowed it down as well ... also from moving my seat up a bit lol but i find it still happens sometimes even when i shift slow. its something that comes and goes

Back