DIY TRS LED Projector Fog Light Install 13+ Sedan

edd

Chicago, Illinois
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I was looking for an alternative to fog light lighting other than HID's and a retrofit which doesn't seem to be worth the hassle compared to a headlight retro. I stumbled in on the announcement of the Morimoto XB Type S LED Projector Fogs that have been released a few months back.

No luck finding someone within our forum that installed, so I went out and purchased these LED fogs thinking it would be a straight forward install as it was for the 9th gen accords http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234681

The XB LED fogs come in two types, Type S and Type T, both will work only for the 13+ Sedan. Below is the link, as stated on the site these fogs use 3 strong Philip 1200 lumen bulbs that produce a 5000K light, the body is waterproof so no need to worry about moisture seeping in unlike a retrofit without sealant. Besides how can you go wrong with a 5 year warranty?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/morimoto-xb-led-fog-lights-type-s.html#.VJY_Ql4CU

Tools
l1.sized.jpg

l2.sized.jpg

l3.sized.jpg

Phillips, and flathead screwdriver, dikes (pliers) and what I know is a cutting tool which is used to cut drywall. This fabrication would not have been easy without it. The cutting tool with bit proved to be the best thing to cut through the plastic which was about 1/8 inch thick but tough..

Parts
l4.sized.jpg

l5.sized.jpg

l6.sized.jpg

Projectors came in really quick from Atlanta to Chicago in about 2 days through USPS priority, I also ordered Lamin-X film as it was available at checkout which was really convenient.

I was really impressed with the design quality as usual, ebay products just do not compare.

Have no shame use coupon code "ToyotaNation"

Steps (Pics Below)

1) Using screwdriver remove fog light cover, slightly pry on outer bottom corner slowly working fog cover out.
2) Unscrew fog light one on each corner, remove fog light, unclip wiring harness.
3) This part is where you use the dremel or cutting tool, I went up about 2 inches behind the fog light from where it bends, just before the screws.
4) a) On the upper part there is a screw type of slot that sticks and holds the fog light.. I cut off the horizontal edges as the fog lights were too small.. in order to preserve the fogs for another application..
b) The lower corners have a notch to hold our fogs. use either the dremel or dikes (pliers) to cut the vertical tab off..
5) This part is crucial I made the mistake of having the connections backwards.. because the tabs that lock in the connection are small it is quite difficult to pry them to release. Your positive
6) If it looks anything like mine or better you should be able to slide in your new fogs (if the clearance allows), connect wiring harness (check if fogs work) put your O.G screws back in and your fogs should be held up and secure. If it doesn't line up you may need to do more trimming but BEWARE do not separate the lining. it will probably result in your fog light collapsing..
7) Install foglight cover, ensure that fog light cover snaps in place all around if not you'll be looking for a new cover.

Last edited:
Thanks for stopping by, if you are considering purchasing these fogs I would highly recommend it due to the fact that they outperform HID's and standard halogen bulbs. The quality is unmatched with morimoto.. My cutoffs picture include their mini H1 kit which include ballast and bulbs, it has been one year strong with no issues with flickering or dimming.

if you have any question please feel free to contact me, I may not be very clear with my instructions.

I broke my DIY cherry!:spinning:

nice job edd!

So, did you already have factory fog lights and you just plugged these in instead or how did you wire them up?

Also, could you get us some pics with the lights off so we can see how they sit in the housing? Other than that, very cool project.

@Nix very simple setup just plug and play as far as wiring. Only thing to be sure of is that positive cable towards the passenger side with the nipple up on the female connector.

I did have factory fog lights

I can take more pictures tonight, I put these together in a shared garage so tried to be as quick as possible..

Nice job on the write-up. I thought one already existed or I might have chimed in already.

Running the Type-S as well and definitely happy with it over the HID setup I had on before. Wiring is just PnP like the OEM fogs.

If you take your time with the trimming they should have no fitment issues. Mine sit just like the OEM's.

Reactions: edd
Thank you @BWill9886 I looked throughout and couldn't get many answers.. I had issues trimming the first one and getting it to sit properly. Although after a few hacks it really does sit like OEM's

planning on running independent fogs soon just to show them off haha :wink1:

Very nice write-up, I was meaning to do a DIY but totally forgot. Been running mine for about a year now without any issues.

Reactions: edd
Just installed these yesterday, very happy with them. I ended up taking the bumper off to get at the brackets because I was using a dremel to cut them. I also found I needed to trim a bit on the top of the brackets as well for the lights to sit all the way back. Overall, not a hard install.

Back