Tuning with forced induction questions

Alex Smith

Hello everyone. Still fairly new to this site but have a few simple questions regarding tuning my '14 sedan.

Question 1- the "power monitor" on the smaller of the 2 screens, will that be retained at all after forced induction (I'm highly considering a PRL turbo kit down the road).

Question 2- VTEC and the VTEC "gauge/indicator", will VTEC even be relevant as far as the power goes, Example: turbo spools at ~3500 rpm, VTEC kicks in at ~5000 rpm. Will a tuner still be able to make use of VTEC, or is it somewhat irrelevant after forced induction comes into play?

Question 3- Is it worth buying a standalone engine management system or is hondata the best route to tune a 9th gen?
Is it possible to flash between multiple maps with hondata ? I have heard of people running on 1 tune for track and 1 tune for Daily driving.
Thanks in advance !

1 & 2 work just like OEM. If VTEC kicks in at 5k rpm on a turbo 9th, find a new tuner :p. The power monitor is a gimmick, your power level doesn't change how it works fyi.

3 -> Flashpro is the only solution.
Thanks @VitViper.
I don't really ever use the power monitor on the small screen, I was just curious.
As far as VTEC goes, it will still work the same regardless of NA or forced induction ? Can you explain what you mean a little more when you say if VTEC kicks in at 5k on a turbo 9th?

Flashpro lets you adjust vtec. You'll want to lower the vtec engagement when tuning. That's what he meant

Im gonna say that the vtec indicators literally indicate when vtec engages no matter what it has been setup eg: if you have it set for lets say 4k the red light will then come on at 4k. With vit tuning me now, my vtec engage light comes on even when I am past a certain throttle

Flashpro lets you adjust vtec. You'll want to lower the vtec engagement when tuning. That's what he meant

Im gonna say that the vtec indicators literally indicate when vtec engages no matter what it has been setup eg: if you have it set for lets say 4k the red light will then come on at 4k. With vit tuning me now, my vtec engage light comes on even when I am past a certain throttle
Awesome guys thanks for clearing that up.. Had been discussing that with a few friends(none own 9th gens or any civics for that matter) and they all seemed to agree that there had to be a way to adjust when VTEC engages when tuning. Thanks for the help :thumb:

Thanks @VitViper.
I don't really ever use the power monitor on the small screen, I was just curious.
As far as VTEC goes, it will still work the same regardless of NA or forced induction ? Can you explain what you mean a little more when you say if VTEC kicks in at 5k on a turbo 9th?

VTEC tuning is part of properly dialing the car in to make power.

Back