Turbo 9th sudden issues.

Mspohn25

What’s up everyone I have a boosted 13 si running a prl stage 2 kit with 54k miles. One day I drive to work and the car is running phenomenal. Half way home after work and some pulls I noticed the car didn’t sound right suddenly while easing into boost. Did a couple more pulls before parking it for the night and the car seemed ok.

Next day I start the car and notice my vacuum pressure is low on cold start. On a cold start my boost gauge reads -12” of vac pressure which has never been the normal for my car. It has always cold started about -18 and once the car got a little warmer and ran for a minute it would jump up to -21” of pressure. Although it has low vac pressure on cold start it slowly flutters up and down for a minute before slowly building up to -21 while warming up. Once the car is warm my vac pressure seems to be fine throughout the day until it’s allowed to get completely cold again.

Second thing I notice is my AFR’s are all over the place. Mainly I’m running stupid rich but also running extremely lean at times. In the past at idle my AFR’s always sat consistently around 14.7. While cruising they were also steadily around 14.7. Now at idle and cruising it’s in the 12’s 13’s,14’s the gauge resets itself out of no where like it’s having trouble reading and just isn’t consistent. At times it goes extremely lean as well, and under WOT my AFR gauge pins itself down in the 10’s where as before under WOT it would sit around 12.

The car feels gutless compared to before but still hits full boost and seems to sound fine while idling but also seems to have a slightly low idle. No smoke coming from exhaust so that pretty much rules out my turbo or rings. I did check for leaks with tb cleaner. Found a leak on the intake manifold side of my PRL adapter plate. Upon inspection I found I blew the gasket out and melted part of it. Replaced both gaskets but it did not fix the issue. This is what I have done/had done thus far only to come up empty handed.

-valve adjustment @honda
-fuel system service/clean @honda
-new primary o2 sensor
-new plugs
-new tb adapter plate gaskets
-fresh oil change
-cleared ecu
-re uploaded tune
-checked turbo
-checked vac lines
-cleaned grounds
-compression test
-re checked for leaks dousing everything multiple times with tb cleaner at every vac point I could get to and found none.

The only thing I have not touched is my Ktuned 4bar map sensor and I do have a new one on the way that I ordered today. So once that comes in hopefully Wednesday I can swap it out before work, clear the ecu again and see if that fixes it.
About a week before this issue the only thing I had touched was I cleaned up some of my injector wiring with black electrical tape from my injectors down the fuel rail and around the side of the motor due to not wanted the bare wires out from taking the black plastic pieces off. It is hard for me to believe it’s a wiring issue as if I had messed up a wire I wouldn’t think it would take a week of driving it every single day of about 40-50 miles a day back and fourth to work for a problem to show up due to a wire. Other wise all I had done even before that was had a second bung welded into my downpipe to run a defouler with my wideband sensor. While re installing turbo dp I also replaced with new exhaust gasket (also checked for leaks).

I’ve had a bunch of awesome helpful people throw their heads at it and along with myself are all severely stumped at this point. I am hopeful that in the mean time of waiting for this map sensor maybe somebody out there has dealt with something similar or may just have an idea of something I am over looking. Between tools, parts and dealership service I’m over a grand into chasing this problem and I’ve driven my car two weeks since october 2018. I’m tired of beating my head against the wall!

You say your PRL Adapter plate, are you referring to the RBC adapter plate?
Yes I have a RBC intake mani and stock TB. Removed messed up gasket and replaced with new gasket on each side from PRL. Doused the entire adapter plate 4-5 times while it idled and there was no leak to be found there anymore.

I also doused the PRL manifold adapter several times all around with no sign of a leak.

Are you running more than 10lbs? If not do you have your factory MAP sensor? Also did you try cleaning the Ktuned 4Bar MAP sensor?

a fuel pump going bad may work sometimes. You have to have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up- then test it while driving, a air fuel gauge would show wide ranges like what your seeing. I had the exact same problem- bad fuel pump and check your fuel filter also. I don't know what fuel pump your using, some of them a junk even brand new.

Back