Turbo or Supercharger ... which and why ????

bisimotos dyno plot showed almost all that power over the top 1000 rpm.

supercharger is drop in and forget it, turbo not so much.

cross reference the intake manifold gaskets and if you feel like experimenting order 1 new one from Honda for the 2012 Si and buy some used ones off the k20z3 k24a2 k20a2/z1 and k20a3 to see which it lines up with.

Then you will see if you can get an older model's K SC kit to fit on there. Space under the hood seems identical to the 8thgen, it's a matter of lining up the manifolds...

this is just complete FALSE information, regardless of S/C or Turbo its going to require maintenance there is not such thing as set it and forget it with boost.

I think with the new EFR series turbos from BorgWarner the whole idea of laggy turbochargers is a thing of the past. I only say this because of how they look on paper, though. I've never driven a car with an EFR turbo. If I do anything in the way of power to this car though, it will be a Full-Race turbo kit with an EFR turbo. As others have already pointed out, the integrated exhaust manifold and the underbore K24 just makes sense for a turbo. A supercharger has some benefits, but a well-designed turbo kit is the best way to go in my personal opinion. It's pure efficiency, where as the supercharger is the exact opposite of efficient. It produces a parasitic loss in order to make power. There is no intelligent argument against the turbocharger being the more efficient option. The turbo vs. supercharger debate is ongoing, and will probably always be that way as long as there are internal combustion engines. It all boils down to what you want out of your car, I suppose; just like any other "this vs. that" debate pertaining to mods.

This is true due to the lighter material and new designed used, although attaining an EFR turbo is next to impossible. Indy has their hands on all EFR's that come out till late August I believe Geoff had mentioned. Let alone i can only imagine the wait list that already exist to try and attain an EFR. There is also two different types of S/C roots style and centrifugal which is what Rotrex uses. Which is simply the cold side of a turbo with the hot side being belt driven instead of exhaust gas, but you are 100 % right parasitic loss is parasitic loss.

I just believe Turbo > S/C imho, you always end up wanting more power which typically would require buying more money on new parts, P&P or larger pulley etc. While with a turbo set up it just means cranking up the boost.

this is just complete FALSE information, regardless of S/C or Turbo its going to require maintenance there is not such thing as set it and forget it with boost.

This is true due to the lighter material and new designed used, although attaining an EFR turbo is next to impossible. Indy has their hands on all EFR's that come out till late August I believe Geoff had mentioned. Let alone i can only imagine the wait list that already exist to try and attain an EFR. There is also two different types of S/C roots style and centrifugal which is what Rotrex uses. Which is simply the cold side of a turbo with the hot side being belt driven instead of exhaust gas, but you are 100 % right parasitic loss is parasitic loss.

I just believe Turbo > S/C imho, you always end up wanting more power which typically would require buying more money on new parts, P&P or larger pulley etc. While with a turbo set up it just means cranking up the boost.

Well ****, by the time ANYTHING is available for our cars, the EFR should be attainable. It seems that the aftermarket doesn't want to touch our cars with a ten foot pole for some reason. I mean, it's a CIVIC for **** sakes. Make parts for it and people will buy them!

I had no idea the EFR was that hard to come by though. Hopefully in the next year or two when (more like if) I feel like adding any power to this thing they'll be available.

^ i was so amazed how BW dealt with a shitty material provider when they were taking pre-orders for 2000+ turbos and cant deliver. Now they have a new material provider and still have yet to be able to supply any one but Indy Race teams. But yeah every one wants to stay away from the integrated manifolds, this was either HONDA's goal so i guess they can take over their own aftermarket. This is all my own speculations but definitely seems to be where honda is taking their line / products.

Ok, I'm seeing all this info about how well-suited the K series engine in the Si is for boost...but next to no information on the R18 powerplant in the non-Si civic variants. Would it be justifiable to boost this "inferior" engine, or should I just be looking for an engine-swap instead?

OK people of knowledge... I'll be back home in 3 years after finishing my degree and i'll take my lovely Si with me.... lets hope by that time there will be a supercharger and a turbo kit... My question is if back home the temperature in the summer hits 125.6 is it a problem for both of the kits or both of them are fine with that? Also wich one required the minimum maintenance ?

you're going to have power loss regardless of sc or turbo at those temps. The same goes for being completely stock though. Run a dyno at 60 degrees outside and 120 outside, and you'll see 2 different dyno results.

Ok, I'm seeing all this info about how well-suited the K series engine in the Si is for boost...but next to no information on the R18 powerplant in the non-Si civic variants. Would it be justifiable to boost this "inferior" engine, or should I just be looking for an engine-swap instead?

What exactly do you need to know about the R18? if you're looking for over 300 whp its not doable without major modification to have it be reliable. Now if you're looking for reliable ~280whp and still get 40+ mpg get the R18, if you seek real power with stock stout motor K is KING.

^^ this guy has done a laundry list of mods to his r18.... he would know the ins and outs.

Hahah thank you sir i have done quite a bit of researching and hands on tearing apart of this motor, but yet i still seem to be amazed with something new about it daily :giggle: hopefully ill be the R king haha when it comes to needing any information on the R series motor.

What exactly do you need to know about the R18? if you're looking for over 300 whp its not doable without major modification to have it be reliable. Now if you're looking for reliable ~280whp and still get 40+ mpg get the R18, if you seek real power with stock stout motor K is KING.

280 hp sounds perfect to me. Would it seriously still be making 40mpg? Gotta love this engine... Now what type of upgrades are we talking, here? Majority bolt-ons build?

280 hp sounds perfect to me. Would it seriously still be making 40mpg? Gotta love this engine... Now what type of upgrades are we talking, here? Majority bolt-ons build?

Reply yeah when trying to conserve gas was easily getting 43+ mpg. Although trying to conserve gas was nearly impossible , too much fun boosting. Just a turbo kit nothing else upgraded except injectors and fuel pump

What about blowing head gaskets. I hear that thats a popular thing with turbos. I work at subaru and honda and I see stock motors being replaced on sti and wrx all the time with this issue? Why is that? Why did honda make a s/c for the previous civic with jackson racing and not c/t and not a turbo? The acura rdx 2.2l has a turbo on it too has anyone had any experience with that?? Im not sure which way to go based on the head gaskets and the fact that honda chose a s/c with the civic previously

Why did honda make a s/c for the previous civic with jackson racing and not c/t and not a turbo?
what car are you referring to having a s/c?

Subi's seem to always have engine/ head gasket problems.

The only head gasket issues I see with honda are in the 500+ whp ball park.

Back