Turbo VTEC engines are official

r18steeeve

Jacksonville, Florida
Vehicle Model
Civic Ex
Body Style
Sedan
No details yet but they have plans to bring them out before the end of 2015.

Honda used the occasion of the 2015 Detroit auto show to announce plans to roll out its upcoming family of turbocharged four-cylinder engines by the end of 2015. Honda said it is investing $340 million at its Anna, Ohio, engine plant to accommodate a third assembly line for the engines, among other upgrades to the facility.

Honda still won’t say how much power these new mills would make, nor which vehicles will get them first, but we had a chance to sample one such engine with 2.0 liters of displacement in a Civic Type R prototype—now there’s a car we’d like to have in America!—and we were told at the time that the 2.0-liter could pump out a maximum of roughly 300 horsepower. We’ll bring you more tantalizing turbo tales as soon as Honda’s willing to tell them.

CarandDriver.com

I hope the 2.0 will be in the supposed US Type-R. However, I could see them probably replacing the V6 in the Accord with it. That way, they can compete with Ford, Hyundai, VW, etc. Fingers crossed for reliability...

New engine means no aftermarket support for the first few months or maybe more. We are slowly getting more stuff for the K24 in 9th Si.

Eh, if they released that type r here i wouldnt need any aftermarket. Wouldn't change a thing on it.

• "Before the end of the year, Honda will begin to introduce a new 4-cylinder VTEC® Turbo engines – an extension of its Earth Dreams™ Technology powertrain lineup – that will deliver fun-to-drive performance and fuel efficiency at a very high level. Production of the new VTEC® Turbo engines will begin later this year at Honda’s Anna, Ohio, engine plant, the largest automobile engine plant in Honda’s global production network. Honda is investing $340 million at the Anna Engine Plant to produce the VTEC® Turbo 4-cylinder engines, a third assembly line for production of 4-cylinder engines and additional manufacturing innovations." - honda of america

I guarantee this, if there is a turbo SI, or Type R I will seriously consider trading in and upgrading the day it arrives at the dealer. Even if the type R is something like 38k.

I just saw the other day, we are not gonna get anything near the power of the Type R. Makes me really upset with Honda as a whole

Think we'll get the same engine though? If it's just a detuned version, power wouldn't be an issue.

From what I read, we will get a 1.5 liter turbo with the honda dreams technology or whatever that produces around 210. If that is the case, what the hell is the point?

Back