Twisted's Work

Twistedframe

Glad to see the detailing forum up and running on 9thcivic. As some of you may know I have a side detailing business that I started a few years ago and it has really started to take off. I'm going to post some of my work here, basically just to stroke my own ego...lol

Oh and regardless of what it looks like I'm not doing this to try and compete with Chad... :wavey:

Here is a new Corvette I did a couple weeks ago.

So I got this job from my good friend Dana, I should have known then that there was a catch and I should turn it down :lol: ...However since I'm either a moron or a glutton for punishment I went ahead and took the job. I got a call from a guy named Mike who may actually be more OCD than me (not a bad thing). He showed up bright and early Sunday morning with what looked like a pristine 2010 red Corvette. At first look we decided that a one step polish would get the car looking its best before Mike had the clear bra installed.

Tools and Products
Pre-foam soak with Autowerkes Exclusive ACP and DG 901
Wash with Werkstat Auto body soap
Clay with Ricardo yellow, CG Luber for clay lube
Dried with Pakshak waffle weave
Glass cleaned with DG Rain Repel
Trim dressed with Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber protectant

Compounded with M105 on wool (spots) and Yellow uber pad both on Dynabrade rotary
Bumpers compounded with M105 on Surbuf pads on Porter Cable DA
Polished with M205 on green uber pad on Dynabrade rotary
NO LSP Due to clear bra being installed in a few day

Poly-carbonate top polished with P21S Paint Cleaner

Wheels cleaned with car was soap
Tires and wheel wells cleaned with Autokwerkes Exclusive APC 3:1
Wheels polished/sealed with Collinite Metal Wax
Tires and wheel wells dressed with DP Tire Gel cut 1:1 and sprayed on

So I started by doing my normal pre-polish cleaning which involves foaming with a strong mix of APC and DG 901. It was painfully obvious after just letting the foam dwell that the vehicle was is much worse shape that I had originally surmised. Apparently the dealership had "detailed" this vehicle by slapping as much glaze and other fillers on it as they could. Well I still decided I was going to give the once step a try to see how it would turn out.

Here is what it looked like all stripped down. Before the glaze was removed it looked like there was just some very fine micro-marring and light water spots.

before001.jpg

before002.jpg

Here is what it looked like after I hit it will my strongest combo that could still be considered a one step, Orange Uber pad with Menzerna Powerfinish. This left a very shiny finish, but didn't even come close to removing all of the swirls.

5050powerfinish.jpg

Now I started doing some before and after spots, but soon realized I was going to run out of time. So first I will show you some spot before and after.

Door before

doorbefore.jpg

Door After

doorafter.jpg

Quarter Before

quarterbefore.jpg

Quarter After

quarterafter.jpg

Rear bumper side before

rearbumpbefore.jpg

Rear bumper side after

rearbumpafter.jpg

Pillar Before

pillarbefore.jpg

Pillar After

pillarafter.jpg

After this I realized I was going to run out of time. So I just grabbed some good sun shots after I did a section since pretty much the whole car looked the same before. Bear with the dust and crap in the crevices b/c I was snapping pics as I was working just in case I ran out of light. In my after pictures you will seen the totally finished vehicle.

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0776.jpg

DSC_0779.jpg

DSC_0780.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg

Corvette continued...

DSC_0788.jpg

DSC_0809.jpg

Here is the engine bay. It was clean to begin with (only 400 miles on the vehicle. But I gave it a once over since some dust and polish splatter got on it.

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0859.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

Wheels after. Polished with Collinite Metal Wax, tires cleaned with Autowerkes Exclusive APC, Tires and wheel wells dressed with DP Tire Gel 1:1

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0847.jpg

DSC_0825.jpg

DSC_0836.jpg

Afters

DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0822.jpg

DSC_0821.jpg

DSC_0817.jpg

DSC_0819.jpg

DSC_0823.jpg

DSC_0826.jpg

DSC_0827.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

Best part, his tags! LMFAO! Can't believe he got these!!!

DSC_0829.jpg

All done, fav pic!

DSC_0852.jpg

I think thats about it. Thanks for looking!

very nice - I like the reflections in that last pic as well. Can't wait to see other work of yours

Nice job on the vette.

I see that one has the transparent top. Mine has a light scratch. Would you wet sand it - 2000/3000 grit, then polish? Thanks. :wavey:

very nice - I like the reflections in that last pic as well. Can't wait to see other work of yours
Thanks Kevin! I really appreciate it!
Again, looking good Dave! :)

Love the plate too!
thanks Chad! I can't believe he got those tags, but they must have morons working at the Maryland DMV lol.
Nice job on the vette.

I see that one has the transparent top. Mine has a light scratch. Would you wet sand it - 2000/3000 grit, then polish? Thanks. :wavey:
Thank you! I am not 100% sure I would recommend sanding the roof since it is made of poly carbonate. I don't think there would be an issue, but I've never done it, so I wouldn't feel right telling you to do it. I have a good friend who is familiar with vettes, and I will ask him and get back to you.

Thanks Kevin! I really appreciate it!
thanks Chad! I can't believe he got those tags, but they must have morons working at the Maryland DMV lol.
Thank you! I am not 100% sure I would recommend sanding the roof since it is made of poly carbonate. I don't think there would be an issue, but I've never done it, so I wouldn't feel right telling you to do it. I have a good friend who is familiar with vettes, and I will ask him and get back to you.

Yeah, Dana would know best, but I would think they have a UV coating on them much like your headlights....if you sand too deep and go through the coating you will be left with a noticeable "ring" around that area.

Definitely check back with what Dana has to say though Dave. :)

Yeah, it has a tint to it, and I'm not sure if that's on the outside surface or not. If it's on the inside, or all the way through, then I will consider sanding it.

I picture of the scratch might help us a little bit. I'm waiting to hear back on your question.

This one is from a little over a month ago, but I really enjoed working on this vehicle so I figured I would post it here.

This vehicle was scheduled for a two step paint correction. As with most of my details time is an issue so I just snapped a few before pics and more during and sun shots.

Foamed with DG 901 and APC
Washed with DG 901
Wheels cleaned with Autoglym CWC
Wheels Sealed with Collinite 845
Tires and wheel wells cleaned with Autowerkes Exclusive APC 1:1
Tires and wheel wells dressed with DP Tire Gel 1:1
Glass polished with DG Nu Glass, cleaned with Megs glass cleaner
Exterior trim dressed with Adams VRT
Compound with orange uber pad and M105 on Dynabrade rotary
Some spots hit with wool and M105 on dynabrade rotary
Polish with green uber pad and M205 on Flex rotary
Exterior Metal polished and sealed with Collinite Metal wax
LSP Dodo Juice Blue velvet Pro
A couple befores of the swirls. The whole vehicle was like this, some spots worse than others.
DSC_0872.jpg

DSC_0875.jpg

DSC_0876.jpg

DSC_0878.jpg

DSC_0880.jpg

This was one spot that got hit with wool. This pic shows after one pass with m105 and uber orange. Wool cleaned up the rest.
DSC_0881.jpg

Random in process sun shots...no LSP
DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

DSC_0887.jpg

DSC_0893.jpg

DSC_0919.jpg

DSC_0923.jpg

DSC_0924.jpg

DSC_0925.jpg

DSC_0928.jpg

DSC_0929.jpg

DSC_0930.jpg

DSC_0934.jpg

My scratch pic of the transparent poly top on the vette :sadface:

with flash
2qm0mkn.jpg

just daylight
wgri2r.jpg

I can feel a perceptible scratch when I lightly drag the back of my fingernail over top.

did something get dragged across it? or do you not know what happened

I came back to the vette, while it was parked in a lot, and there it was. I figure that somebody either placed something on top (purse, bookbag, etc.) then dragged it off, or maybe just dropped something on it. The roof is only 4 feet off the ground.

I've come to realize (long ago) that it's nearly impossible to keep this from happening to a car, unless you rarely ever drive it.

sorry to hear - that sucks. I've been there though

Back