Un-Plugging car battery?

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
What will I need to do after re installing car battery? Will anything need to be re-set? I think I've read that the sound system has a code to be re-set, anything else?

Let it idle for a few minutes. You shouldn't have any issues. There is an idle relearn process if you do something like change out the intake or install a throttle body spacer. Other than that, just reconnect the battery, let it idle, and punch in your radio code while its doing the idle thing. 5-10 minutes.

OK, thanks. I've ordered a new batt, an Optima Yellow top..... I've had my batt for 3 years with no problems, but I want to put a new one in anyway...... I didn't know about the idle thing, thx.
One thing I've been doing since new, is to turn the key on and wait for the cars computer to process(which in my mind is wait for all the dash lights to settle down), I treat it like I do when turning on my desk top PC, I wait for it to do a start load....... It may not need that, but it makes me feel better.

I'll let you know how it went after I receive/install(3/5 days), what about cell phone pairing? Is that going to be an issue?

Reactions: Nix
I've unplugged my battery dozens of times and even had a dead battery. I never had any issues with cell phone pairing or the radio code. Just run the idle relearn and you should good to go.

It depends on how the dealer set it up because they can have it set up to where you have to actually hold the power and dimmer button and the non illuminated home button at the same time to actually turn it back on

I just ran into this issue the other day and it took the dealer a couple hours just to figure it out because it was showing a screen to put a code in but didn't need it

Interesting, Sounds like a sound system I don't have, since I have the EX with out the "L"........ I'm not aware of a "Home", or a "Dimmer" button.

I just ran into this issue the other day and it took the dealer a couple hours just to figure it out because it was showing a screen to put a code in but didn't need it
This could be useful for people that could have that issue, thx.

I have a 15 LA sedan, no touchscreen. No radio code was recorded by the dealer in the manual, and without the touchscreen, the conventional instructions for getting the stereo's serial number won't work. Also, no anti-theft card containing the info was included with the documentation or in the glove box. I used to own a 2013 LX and it never asked for a code when battery was disconnected, so I was wondering if perhaps the 15 LX didn't require one, as it's stereo is the same as the 13 LX and different from the touchscreen equipped models.

I have an EX and I haven't owned a honda since my 1998 Civic DX, but Shouldn't all new hondas ask for the radio code when you unplug the battery? I assume you use the volume knob to scroll up and down selecting the code in a LX. If it didn't come with one, call the dealer they should be able to look it up. Usually they write it down on the owner's manual when the deliver it.

I received my new battery today...... This is something I've been interested in for years, and have made it a point to try and let people know, that they should always charge a batt they buy.... I put mine on my batt tender, and it took 3 hours just to reach the 80% mark...... So it's still charging to reach 100%. ...........

Again, I'd like to repeat, that a cars charging system is only going to keep a batt at 80%, and will not take it to 100%...... Even with the batt staying at 80%, it still needs to be charged up to 100% to make the life of the batt last longer(It stops thesulfur build-up, which eventually kills the batt).

OK........ I changed the batt's , and let it idle for 20 min.,thx @Nix, then turned on the radio and on my screen it said to push and hold the "ON" button of the radio, did that and it turned on and kept the prerecorded stations, etc., also checked for phone pairing and memory data... All was good. The car runs fine as well.

Note: As far as the Optima Yellow top batt I ordered it fit well and allowed the replacement of all the foo-faa that goes around the batt...... BUT........... The POS/NEG terminals were reversed......... they line up on one side, so I turned the batt 180º and the wiring had enough play to allow hooking up with no issue..... BUT.... the neg terminal is slightly smaller around to allow the neg-clamp to tighten, so I cut a piece of sheet metal and put it between the clamp and terminal......... It worked well and left the clamp with enough space at the tightening area that it wasn't touching(left room to tighten if need be(basically the way it should have fit in the 1st place).

The reason I bring this up, is the Optima site choose that batt as the one for my car, NOT........ So if anyone wants that batt, this is to let you know what will need to be done to install. I have no issue with it, and I'm ocd, and can live with this.
Just wanted to put it out there, so it doesn't mislead anyone.........

Back