USB Audio Capacity?

Terry B

I know a lot of aftermarket usb-enabled stereos have a cap, either # of songs, folders, or GB that can be accessed via usb. Anyone know if this is the case with the 9G civic?

I've had 32gigs hooked up via usb to a previous honda stereo without it having an issue - but it wasn't completely full of songs. I'll pose the question to college hills honda to see if they have any input on this

Thanks. I've run 16 gigs into my aftermarket JVC, but would love keep my while collection, 150 gigs or so, in the car.

Sent via mobile using Tapatalk
Please excuse the typos

Although I couldn't find any data from Honda on this topic the system should handle at least 160GB since the iPod Classic is supported. I just bought one of these myself and have been digitizing my collection. I'm up to 43GB 6,000+ songs with more still to convert and the USB picks that up just fine.

I'm using a 64gb flash drive since i don't want to keep taking my ipod in and out, no problems. I do have to add to make sure you write the files to your drive in alphabetical order because our head unit uses write order, not alphabetical order...anyone else notice this???

seems like I remember someone talking about making folders, and dumping various bands/groups into whatever folder they wanted... unless that wasn't on the 9th?

thats what i did, i have each artist in a seperate folder, once you select the artist, i have the folders for each of the albums by that artist and in the album folder are all of the songs contained on that album. still sorts in write sequence.

good to know. I wasn't aware it did it that way inside folders as well

I haven't tested yet, but USB-powered portable hard drives are likely going to consume too much power to use. Flash Drives (of any size) should be fine. If you have an older hard drive that has dual USB (one for power, one for data) you might be able to use it by using a power-converter DC-->AC-->USB...I have an old AC powered HD I'll test later. Most of my music is in the clouds (Amazon and Google) so I don't generally use the USB any more.

So, I tested a few uses on the USB port.
  1. Standard USB "thumb drive" (only 8GB) --Worked, as expected.
  2. Unpowered USB hub with two 8GB thumb drives - "Device unsupported." (but it was getting power)
  3. Single USB powered hard drive (500GB) - Device not attached (but it was getting power.)
  4. AC powered external USB hard drive (also 500GB) - Worked as expected. (inital read and load times were longer than normal, but that's expected as well.)
I don't have a powered USB hub to test, but I believe it would also fail.
I do not have a dual USB powered hardrive, but I believe it would work, if you know which is for power and which is for data. Plug the data cable into the car's USB, and the power cable into a USB car charger into the socket.

lol I'd imagine the load times on the 500gig were a bit slow. Thanks for testing things out

I tried to plug in a USB powered 500GB MyPassport HDD and it recognized it, but said there were no files.

did you look at post #16
So, I tested a few uses on the USB port
[snipped]
4. AC powered external USB hard drive (also 500GB) - Worked as expected. (inital read and load times were longer than normal, but that's expected as well.)

was your drive entirely USB driven for power? That seems to be the issue

It was just USB powered. I find it odd that it would recognize the drive but not be able to read anything. Guess it needs more juice than the car is willing to give.

Back