USB Audio Capacity?

^ that. I've even had external drives recognize on laptops, but they would not read/write etc. Only certain USB ports offered enough juice to make the thing run. I've actually had 2 laptops that did that.

I guess Honda (engineers) didn't think that some of us would have ridiculously huge music collections...

well, I think the main reason it's there is to plug in a thumb drive/usb stick... not power up an external hard drive.

well, I think the main reason it's there is to plug in a thumb drive/usb stick... not power up an external hard drive.

But 32GB is nowhere near enough for music (without constantly swapping out tracks/playlists). Especially if one rips in an HQ format. And full size externals are too big to lug around. I was happy when I first plugged in my portable because it fit perfectly in the armrest. Oh well.

oh, and ipod classics obviously have much larger storage space... another option

an expensive option that would be interesting to test - an external USB solid state drive. They wouldn't need the power to spin up disk platters like a normal usb external drive. It's essentially memory. Those may work.

oh, and ipod classics obviously have much larger storage space... another option

an expensive option that would be interesting to test - an external USB solid state drive. They wouldn't need the power to spin up disk platters like a normal usb external drive. It's essentially memory. Those may work.
Yeah, I was trying to avoid an iPod (or anything Apple for that matter). I like the SSD idea, though!

someone with an external SSD needs to give it a try! In theory...that should work.

So, I just did some research and everything I found says that two USB connections are required. :( However, 128GB flash drives are less than $100 now. Probably be able to find one for $50-75 around Christmas. Sadly 256GB are still $500+.

I know a lot of aftermarket usb-enabled stereos have a cap, either # of songs, folders, or GB that can be accessed via usb. Anyone know if this is the case with the 9G civic?

Mass-storage class ready digital audio player with USB 2.0 port
More than 256 MB storage space
Supports MP3, WMA, and AAC (encoded with the iTunes) files, DRM files are not supported

This is additional information from the 2012 Accord, so not sure if everything applies:

USB Function

Music files can be stored on portable USB devices (flash drives and approved iPod products) and played through the audio unit by using the USB adapter. Although a customer can create many different folder levels on their USB device, the audio unit only recognizes two levels and automatically sorts the music to meet this requirement.
To play the music files, use the dial selector to find the folder where the music file is located, then select the album or music file (see the Owner's Manual for more information about selecting and playing USB files and approved iPod products).

USB Device Requirements

• 2.0 Full speed USB capable (maximum speed is 12 Mbps)
  • At least 256 MB storage capacity
  • USB formatted to be compatible with Windows-based operating systems
  • If the USB has a security feature, like write protection, it must be turned off

There are many different USB drives, manufacturers, and configurations with new devices being released every day, which makes it impossible to test all USB devices with the audio system. Even if the USB device has all these requirements, it may not be compatible.

To check if a USB device is compatible with the vehicle, test the USB device in a known-good vehicle of the same model and year. If the USB device does not work on the known-good vehicle, assume that it is faulty or not compatible. A USB device may work on a later year of the same model vehicle because the audio unit software is constantly updated.

The audio unit displays the folder differently than what you may see on your PC because the audio unit only recognizes two folder levels. The audio unit overwrites the data for the track order when you connect the USB device. The audio unit does not modify the music files or the structure on the USB device.

Hard drives do not support overwriting the data for the track order, which is why they are not recommended.

I think I also read somewhere that there is a MAXIMUM of 65,536 files!

But 32GB is nowhere near enough for music (without constantly swapping out tracks/playlists). Especially if one rips in an HQ format. And full size externals are too big to lug around. I was happy when I first plugged in my portable because it fit perfectly in the armrest. Oh well.

hehehe you must have an amazing music library... i have only 29Gigs on my Desktop, and nowhere near that on my 16GB iPod touch, Samsung Galaxy S, BB Bold 9700, laptop and netbook.... i think honestly i listen to 200 songs tops.... the others dont get played or just get fast forwarded.... lol But you are right about HQ formats, but I'm part deaf and cant pick up the difference.....

I think people are overlooking something important with flash drives and hard drives which is the format type. Size doesn't matter but I believe for USB portion it has to be formatted as Fat32. Hard drives for Windows are usually formatted as NTFS. So if you partition say 32 gigs on a 200 gig hard drive and format it as Fat32 I'm sure it'll work. Just make sure the first partition is Fat32. The car might recognize several partitions but I don't know for sure. This is not an issue with iPods / iPads / iPhones since it's going through the OS not direct access to the files.

Hope this helps.

Well I had an 8 gb usb flash that work fine until I ran out of space. So I purchased a 32 gb flash drive and it says it unsupported. I formatted the new flash drive to FAT32 and transferred all my stuff from 8 gb and still unsupported. Any Ideas??

It didn't work. I guess its the brand, I have read on other car forums that the all metal usb drives have this problem. Oh well I guess I will sell it and get another.

sorry to hear that... we all have gone there before.... :( but on a positive note, we have all learned something.... i was a little skeptic with my aftermarket NAVI and going MicroSDHC, 32gigs is hardly anymore than 4gigs... kinda why i only buy SANDISK.. and im not brand loyal, they just always seem to work....

Yep. I buy SanDisk for all flash memory products and they always work for my devices such as digital cameras, MP3 players and etc.

I usually buy em from Costco or Best Buy when it's on sale.

I am having this problem... My 32gb USB is recognized and it plays music through my stereo, but it only recognizes 255 songs when I try to select a song. It doesn't go any higher than 255 when it is on shuffle either. Suggestions?

Back