Use navigation while moving

TJM

Just curious, has anyone managed to figure out if there is a way to disable the Nav system "protection" against entering destination info, etc while the car is in motion. I have to say that this lockout is highly irritating. Even a passenger can't manipulate the Nav system while the car is moving.

One possibility that I've considered is to see if modifying the wiring on the harness would allow this. In particular, the service doc indicates that pin A23 on the Audio-Nav Unit Connector A "Detects vehicle speed pulse from PCM". I've considered disconnecting this connector wire to see if that will fool the Nav unit into thinking the car is not moving.
civicnav.jpg

civic-con.jpg

A23.jpg

Thoughts?

for aftermarket navigation units on the 8th generation civic, people did a bypass to enter routes/watch dvds while the car was moving.

Yes you can play them while driving the car as long as you do the "bypass". The bypass is basically moving the mute wire to a new location on the harness and then grounding both it and the parking brake wire. Once that is done you can watch DVD's while driving and enter new routes in your navi. I personally do not mess with entering destinations in the navi while driving, its to dangerous. I also dont watch movies while driving. I just did the bypass for the hell of it. I'm sure if i have a car full of passengers they will appreciate some music videos or movies playing on a road trip.

Back