Virginia Tech Says Shots Fired on Campus

Uploaded by subaruwrxfan on Dec 8, 2011
This was the beginning of the shootings, the police and FBI are still on the hunt for the shooter or shooters. Right outside of my dorm a police officer was shot and killed, with another shooting reported in a nearby parking lot. Quickly took this footage of what I can see. Still in progress. Certainly a sad day.

From VT.edu

Update: Media briefing to be held at Schott Media Room at 4:30 p.m.
(Posted: 2:39 p.m.)
Media are advised to stage and gather at the Schott Media Room in the west side South End Zone, lower level of Lane Stadium.

Parking will be in the Track Soccer Lot
The university is planning a 4:30 p.m. media briefing.

a large amount of the administration was in washington dc today for hearings regarding the 2007 shooting

all my exams are take home so that doesnt affect me

i had intentions of meeting with profs and doing my exams today, clearly thats not happening

vt.edu

Alert remains in place. Stay where you are

There are no new substantiated reports of suspicious or criminal activity. Status of the shooter remains unknown. Police continue to ask the university community to stay where they are and secure in place.
Law enforcement continues to search for the shooter and help to secure the campus.

(Posted: 2:59 p.m.) Tomorrow, Friday, Dec. 9 is the start of final exams for the fall term. Exams scheduled for Friday (tomorrow) have been postponed.
A decision regarding the final exam schedule will be made as soon as we have more information. All information will be send via campus wide email and posted to the univerity homepage.

6478119825_639a2341a0_z.jpg

6478121083_cebf87032a_z.jpg

6478122519_91bc61a455_z.jpg

6478124167_19b8b039e3_z.jpg

6478124167_19b8b039e3_z.jpg

6478127617_580eb8dddd_z.jpg

6478129037_62853b99a0_z.jpg

Images by and from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/geeknerd99/sets/72157628335925205/

Update: Alert remains active; stay where you are
(Posted: 3:09 p.m.) There are no new substantiated reports of suspicious or criminal activity. Status of the shooter remains unknown.

lockdown lifted, weapon found in cage lot, law enforcement investigating the possibility that the body found in cage lot is the shooter

Update: Police remain on scene
(Posted: 4:19 p.m.)Virginia State Police and Virginia Tech Police remain on the scene of an officer-involved shooting on the Virginia Tech campus. At this time there are two confirmed deaths. One is a Virginia Tech Police Officer. The second is an unknown male subject who was found deceased in a parking lot near the Duck Pond. A weapon has been recovered at the location of the second individual. Reports of any additional shots being fired or any additional victims are unfounded.

Update: Media briefing available via live stream
Watch a live stream video feed of the media briefing.

Update: Secure in place alert has been lifted
(Posted: 4:31 p.m.) Law enforcement agencies have determined there is no longer an active threat or need to secure in place. Resume normal activities.
Virginia Tech Police, in conjunction with other law enforcement agencies, have determined that there is no longer an active threat or a need to secure in place. Resume normal activities.

Update: Statement from Virginia State Police
(Posted: 4:48 p.m.) Virginia State Police responded to Virginia Tech in reference to a shooting in reference to a Virginia Tech police officer being shot and killed while on a traffic stop at the Cassell Coliseum parking lot on Spring Road. Virginia Tech police requested that the Virginia State Police assume primary responsibility for the investigation of the incident.
The individual fled that crime scene in the direction of a second crime scene a quarter of a mile away, where a male body was found at that location with a gunshot wound.
The Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation out of Salem are currently at both crime scenes. Also, our tact team, canine units, and patrol are currently on the Virginia Tech campus assisting the Virginia Tech Police Department.
We are in the early stages of the investigation, and we don’t have any additional details at this time.
The officer is a four-year veteran of the Virginia Tech Police Department and was assigned to patrol.

Again, I'd think dash video from the traffic stop would confirm/deny?

Probably.
I'm guessing murder/suicide. Seeing as they've found a 2nd body..and a weapon. Then lifted the security

apparently the officer was stopping a motorist, and a third person walked up and shot the officer. Dash cam might not show anything depending on how the shooter approached

I'd say they must be sure. Just because they found one weapon...doesn't mean the person wouldn't have another. If they let everyone roam on the account of finding a gun, and others were killed later ...yeah. They must be sure it's him dead.

Back