VSA, Check engine, check system, Limp mode

MaxDesign

Hey guys its my first post, I have not much of knowledge but my mom got into a very strange situation.
We have the civic 2012 9th gen with around 170,000 kilometers
the other day my mom was driving to work, suddenly the car stopped accelerating - maxed at around 10/20 km/h.
Many lights popped up on the dashboard. To get the car running again we had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it.
We took the car to the general dealership, to another 2 garages and no one could find the problem.

The problem then was gone for something like 2 weeks and then all of a sudden it came back again, same issue but only engine light came up.
We took the car to the garage, they changed one of the Ignition coils and wanted us to drive it a bit to see if the issue persist, I took the car, drove about one mile and the issue came back.
As we were close to the garage we came right back driving in the Limp mode (as I understand), go the scanned attached and it shows misfire in the first cylinder, so the mechanic switched the first Spark Plug with the 4th, went for a short ride and there was no codes.
We left the car at the garage for the guy to keep looking at it but it doesn't look like they going to find the problem, we are pretty much clueless, and don't know what to do.

• I saw in another forum that this problem accrues pretty often in the Acura and the cause may be the TPS or the APP sensors - may it be the problem also with our civic ?
  • One of the mechanics in another garage we went to, suggested that the problem may be in the battery sensor that should be replaced - Does it makes sense this problem is related to our condition ?
  • Should I check the BCM/battery sensor voltage ? if so is there a guide how to do it ?
We are thinking about selling the car with undervalued price because we don't know what can we do to fix this issue, any suggestions from you guys ?
Thanks for reading,
Max

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-10_19-15-2.png
    upload_2020-3-10_19-15-2.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 6
A million things can cause limp mode. Someone diagnosing it over the internet is a shot in the dark quite honestly. What check engine code(s) were thrown? Any reason you’ve not just taken it to Honda instead of all these other garages? Does the car have any aftermarket modifications or is it 100% stock?

Always check the battery voltage first.

I recently had an issue with an Insight where a plug misfiring was causing a bunch of lights to come on. Didn't notice the typical sign of crazy shaking car because it has two plugs per cylinder.

A million things can cause limp mode. Someone diagnosing it over the internet is a shot in the dark quite honestly. What check engine code(s) were thrown? Any reason you’ve not just taken it to Honda instead of all these other garages? Does the car have any aftermarket modifications or is it 100% stock?
No codes other then the misfiring cylinder P0301 , i have taken it to Honda (2 of them actually) and no one found the issue.
100% stock

Always check the battery voltage first.

I recently had an issue with an Insight where a plug misfiring was causing a bunch of lights to come on. Didn't notice the typical sign of crazy shaking car because it has two plugs per cylinder.
But the misfire can cause the limp mode ?

Misfire can cause limp mode along with a lot of other factors. Have you checked sensor like the MAF?

No codes other then the misfiring cylinder P0301 , i have taken it to Honda (2 of them actually) and no one found the issue.
100% stock
Check the fuel injectors. I had injectors go bad in my 8th gen and this exact thing happened. Replaced all the injectors and it was right as rain. Also cant hurt to check the spark plugs and coil packs while you're at it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back