Wanting More Power..

Sinistah_MFSC

Hey everyone,

I have a 2012 SI coupe. So far the only engine modification I made was adding the K&N typhoon series 69 Intake. I want to add more power, but also not make it sound bad/ricey. I was thinking downpipe, exhaust and then tune. Im not sure which combinations will work the best, any thoughts?

First thing to do is take the K&N off, it actually makes less power than the stock air box (it's been proven on the dyno)
If you want more power I would invest in a Hondata Flashpro first because anything you add or change like the intake or exhaust will need a tune to benefit from the upgrade.
You can even get the stock motor tuned and it will make more power.

Damn, it really makes less power? What a waste of 300 bucks lol, does anyone know an average HP increase if I get it tuned?

I disagree, I installed the same cold air intake from k&n and it does perform better than the stock. my dad and I both have the same car (his is totally stock) and when mine only had the intake, id still beat him. I thought maybe at first it was the driver, so we swapped cars and mine still took the lead. Unless u did a bad job installing it, the difference from stock is pretty impressive. Its more peppy, the air gets pulled in harder and the whole car is more responsive

If you do the hondata flashpro first btw, you're going to have to recalibrate everything everytime u swap a piece or make a mod. My suggestion: keep the intake (it sounds beautiful), do the whole exhaust line (down pipe, exhaust), do your headers, and then compliment it all with the hondata chip to get max performance out of the whole thing

I disagree, I installed the same cold air intake from k&n and it does perform better than the stock. my dad and I both have the same car (his is totally stock) and when mine only had the intake, id still beat him. I thought maybe at first it was the driver, so we swapped cars and mine still took the lead. Unless u did a bad job installing it, the difference from stock is pretty impressive. Its more peppy, the air gets pulled in harder and the whole car is more responsive

I'll take dyno results over anecdotes any day...especially from someone who has tuned hundreds, if not 1000+, Civics.

btw, the K&N intake is not a cold air intake either.

do the whole exhaust line (down pipe, exhaust), do your headers,

You mention downpipe. So, I assume you mean intake header?

If so, swapping to an RBC will greatly rob this car of low/mid range torque in exchange for a small amount of high-end (near red line) horsepower. The RBC would only be recommended for high horsepower turbo builds. (not sure if there are any independent tests on the Skunk2 intake header)

On my own, havent done yet still in the works havent had it very long. But I worked on my old frankenstein integra for years at my friends honda shop and I had yet to see a performance intake reduce power on the dyno... Unless youre saying its something specific for this new gens model. I did do my research before paying and installing the thing however. Shitty thing is I have no more shop to go to for this (moved away) so im stuck in my own garage which is fun but none of those nice gadgets to really tune up like before

Unless youre saying its something specific for this new gens model.

This. Exactly this.

The 9th gen does not respond the same way as previous generations did. It will fight your mods all the way. There is no such thing as a bolt on gain for the 9th gen. About all you will get is better responsiveness and some noise with a bolt-on.

Which is fine, there are alot of videos posted up on this exact forum with the same model and intake on a dyno and ill admit its little to no performance difference. However, sound to me is a huge part in my daily driving and personally, I like it more then what the other CAi's and Short rams have to offer. Also like I said, I don't believe it will decrease performance, especially after a nice tune

I don't believe it will decrease performance, especially after a nice tune

Unfortunately, it will and has been proven with independent dyno tests. As has been said ad nauseam, the only intakes proven to increase HP over stock are 3.5" in diameter.

What were the results when your car and your dad's car were bone stock? Not every car is created equal, some cars make slightly more power than others off the showroom floor.

Reactions: Nix
What were the results when your car and your dad's car were bone stock? Not every car is created equal, some cars make slightly more power than others off the showroom floor.
:word:

It's better to do a stock dyno vs +intake dyno comparison with the same car.

So....your telling me if I leave the Intake on, and then tune it with Hondata, it will have less power than the stock?!

So....your telling me if I leave the Intake on, and then tune it with Hondata, it will have less power than the stock?!

Unless it is a 3.5" intake, the best you can expect is no change from stock...the worst is a loss in power.

Reactions: Nix
Back