Warranty-safe mods?

Charlie Lee

Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
LX
I'm new here and interested in putting alot of work into my 2015 non-SI sedan. However, I have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain and I'd like to avoid it being invalidated by aftermarket parts like downpipes, headers, turbos, injectors, etc. Does anybody know what all mods are "warranty safe," both motor related and in general?

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/magnuson-moss-warranty-act.7422/

It's going to be up to the dealership how picky they are, or how much they really want to hassle you. Some have had motor work/clutches done under warranty without any issue with lots of modifications. Some have had zero mods and have fought tooth and nail (for those same repairs) & were denied by their dealership.

If you modify your exhaust, it's not going to mess with you getting shocks replaced or something. If you lower your car, it's not going to mess with your engine warranty and so on. If you lower you car to the ground and bust an oil pan, they're not going to replace the oil pan for you. You're only altering your warranty on parts you're altering. Don't expect to retain your engine warranty by throwing a turbo on.... etc

+1 on the dealership and since you have lifetime powertrain warranty you need to keep receipts of every oil change and what services you have done. If something fails they are going to want proof that you took care of the car. Like Webby said lowering car is not going to make the engine blow up so don't look into power mods. Yes there are dumb techs in the service department but there are also the ones who know their stuff and can tell that the downpipe was replaced.

Back