Weird Grinding Noise?

LouieV

Long Island, NY
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Ok so maybe you guys can help me out before I bring her in to get checked out. This is the problem when my rev is anywhere between 2 and 3 thousand rpms and im gassing it there's a weird sound it almost sounds like a little grinding. It only does it around those low rpms. For example im in 2nd i shift a little early into 3rd my rpm is around 1500-1800 then i gas it and between those rpms i said its like a sluggish little grinding sound small enough where its not a crazy big deal but it just doesn't sound right. If you guys have any advice i would really appreciate it.

So it's not really happening during the shift if I'm understanding what you're saying. It's grinding while you're accelerating - not messing with the clutch? Regardless of when it's happening, I'd take it to the dealership. You're in a new car with a warranty.

Yea it happens when i shift also but when i release the clutch and I know im going to

clutchdisc2.jpg

Maybe a loose damper spring?

No clue guys I was driving today and it was still doing it. Im going to take it to the dealer this week. Hope its something minor.

So I brought her in and guess what she's burning oil too fast. So you know what that means. Has to replace the oil ring which means he has to open the engine :( I'm going thru this mystery oil process right now. Ill keep you guys posted

don't worry - the rebuild is not a big deal

Yea I know it's just frustrating to buy this new car and it have a problem like this. Makes me regret buys the 2012 Si sometimes but then I think of what I plan on doing and I'm happy again :driving:

Yea I know it's just frustrating to buy this new car and it have a problem like this. Makes me regret buys the 2012 Si sometimes but then I think of what I plan on doing and I'm happy again :driving:
Atleast they are doing a rebuild mine was in the bad range and they wouldn't rebuilt it.

Got rid of it with 6k miles

I took it in again because the sound was getting worse. Got a bit of a scare bc they said they'd have to check the clutch with 10 hours before they properly diagnosed the problem. Luckily, it wasn't a clutch wear issue. Fully covered. They just said it was a throwout bearing gone bad. I'll keep it updated about what they replace. They tried to get an okay from me to do other work on replacing adjacent parts without an approval for warranty coverage. I told him I can wait...

Quick update, they decided to also replace the friction disk too at their expense! They were worried that the spring damper was loose, and didn't want to spend more time on this then they had to. Now, at 20k miles, it feels new with a new clutch.

Last edited:
Back