What kind of motor oil does the Honda Dealership use on 2012 civics?

desiguyinnc

Long Island, NY
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
I've gotten my oil changed a couple times at the different Honda dealers and was wondering what brand motor oil they use. I pay around 37 bucks for an oil with tax and was wondering how much cheaper it would be to just do it myself.

It's a blended oil made for them. The only option in retail stores will be full synthetic. I'm not sure what the blend costs, but you can buy it from them, as well as the filter.

5qrts of full synth based on brand will vary.

Autozone ran a special for 5.2+ quarts of mobile 1 full synth with a mobil1 filter for like ~$23. The oil alone was normally like ~$33, but you wouldn't use it all.

Hmm not bad. Next time they have a special, I'll make sure sure to stock up so I can change the oil in all my cars.

0w-20 mobil 1 by the quart is showing 8.79/quart by me.

Valvoline 7.17/quart -Walmart

Or you'll find more options going to a 5w-20. cheaper as well

I'm not seeing the 5qt options on the 0-20 at autozone or advanced auto locally. Not sure if others see them?
it requires your zip code to see pricing/availability..
walmart's not showing the 5qt jugs of 0-20 either unfortunately.

I dunno about you guys but at advanceautoparts.com they have a special for 32.99 for the 0w-20 mobil 1-

Buy a 5 Plus Quarts jug or 5 single quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic motor oil and a Mobil 1 oil filter for $32.99. Get 25% off up to 4 additional quarts.

I think it's just a better deal to look for dealer specials like $29.99 oil changes rather than doing it yourself...

^^ that's "cheap" for that deal. They had 5w-20, 5w-30 and a few other weights for that deal like a little over a week ago....

If you would take it to a random shop (not honda), they'll probably just fill it with an oil close to 0w-20. The oil you're going to find in retail shops is going to be full synthetic, and more expensive.

just realized college hills sells the filters
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda-civic-4dr-accessories/2012-honda-civic-maintenance-parts.htm
& 0w-20 honda oil
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda-civic-4dr-accessories/2009-2011-civic-sedan-maintenance.htm
so, it's like over $7/quart msrp from honda... but they ^^ sell it for like $5 whatever/quart

dealerships may price match

Just got sophia's oil change done yesterday, gotta love 2yrs of free oil changes :thumbsup:. On my invoice it didnt specify the oil type. also did my change at 7k miles. which surprised me because the maint. minder was at 30% and still had a decent amount of oil when i checked the dipstick. In my 8th it would hit 15% every 5k mile. :think:

it's not based on miles though.

how does the oil meter work:
====
The system counts down oil life based on engine operating conditions (both normal and severe).
The on-board computer continuously monitors engine operating conditions such as speed, engine temperature, ambient temperature, time, and vehicle use to determine when an oil change and regular maintenance is necessary.
====

mileage will change each oil change based off the oil meter.

Most people will develop patterns with the way they drive, distance to work, traffic, etc. so sometimes it seems that the oil life is similar mileage everytime. Originally (I think I was told by a salesman that didn't know better) I thought the way I drove in the beginning would determine the calculations for the life of the car. When I had my Pilot, it did seem the oil life was right around 6k miles, and didn't seem to be affected by regular driving, or distance driving on vacation.

I remember the old Honda days, when it had the indicater that would change colors as the miles got closer to 7500, and had to be reset by sticking your key in the slot by the odometer.

would regular oil damage the car? i mean when you use synthetic you can't go back to regular correct?

Back