What kind of oil is everyone running?

The maintenance minder thing at 10% will be no different mile wise. It just calculates the number of cold starts, the rpm's run, and stuff like that. After it calculates what it thinks is the right amount of use, it changes the percentages. So you could use the best and worst oil back to back and it'll have no change on extending the oil. You may have slight differences in mileage based on the driving habits, but it's not actually sampling the oil.

The maintenance minder thing at 10% will be no different mile wise. It just calculates the number of cold starts, the rpm's run, and stuff like that. After it calculates what it thinks is the right amount of use, it changes the percentages. So you could use the best and worst oil back to back and it'll have no change on extending the oil. You may have slight differences in mileage based on the driving habits, but it's not actually sampling the oil.

^this. You'll need to get the oil analyzed after the changes to know the differences.

Should I be worried? My car is approaching 6000 miles and the oil life is at 30% I would say almost all miles are freeway. I have a 2013 civic si. Many thanks for any input.

Don't rely entirely on that %.

I'm running royal purple 0w20 right now w/a small hamp filter. Car is running muchhhhhh smoother and I'm getting a couple more MPG's

Usually I never do but people say it's bad to change out the factory oil that's in there early cause the additives that are in it to help the break in? And I don't really wanna mess it up lol

You won't mess anything up. 6000 miles on the factory oil is enough. You're not going to hurt the car by changing now, or waiting until it gets to 15%. Just make sure you're checking your dip stick and you're not low on oil. That's what you want to watch. Think of it this way, honda is advising people to go to the 15% mark on all oil changes.

My dilemma is by the time it takes me to get to 15% MM it'll be a LONG time, I don't drive that much...I changed my
Oil 7 months ago and I'm at 60% MM and only average 466 miles a month, so what do I do? Change it now at 6-7month interval regardless of mileage or miles or leave oil in there longer. I've only put less than 3000 miles on in that time, I just currently don't average many miles, I'll have had Si for 2 years in September and I'm at 10,*** miles

Some people advise that it's changed twice a year regardless of mileage (for people who don't drive much). You could send some off for oil analysis and see what the results are. They could advise you on the actual oil life left.

My dilemma is by the time it takes me to get to 15% MM it'll be a LONG time, I don't drive that much...I changed my
Oil 7 months ago and I'm at 60% MM and only average 466 miles a month, so what do I do? Change it now at 6-7month interval regardless of mileage or miles or leave oil in there longer. I've only put less than 3000 miles on in that time, I just currently don't average many miles, I'll have had Si for 2 years in September and I'm at 10,*** miles
You either take it to 15-0% or 1 year, which ever comes first. That's according to the people who made the car and made the oil.

Me, I dump it earlier. I know I waste money and am killing the planet. But I feel better and I bought my Si to feel good.

Just performed the first oil change on my Si. The factory fill looked pretty brown coming out (around 7k on the ODO) which I found odd, or maybe that's expected? Not too sure about that.

Anywho, I filled it back up with Mobil 1 5W-20 (Advanced Full Synthetic jug) with a Napa Gold filter. Walmart didn't have 0W-20 in stock, but they had Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol Edge in that weight. I stuck with the trusty Mobil 1 since I've been running that in my DSM since I've had it.

I get Eneos 0w20 from work at a good price and an OEM filter on all Hondas we have. Never had any burning issues with it.

154k update... Had Honda do my oil changes for the first 54k miles, then I moved too far away to justify the drive to the really only good decent dealer, so I switched over to Mobil Super 5000 5W-20 and Mobil filter, 4 quarts and I have had zero issues.... I had Blackstone check my oil at 135k and it was as clean as a motor with 50k on it...

Last edited:
Back