What type of gas do you use?

I really hate it when my car stops the nozzle because I'm already full and the gas attendant comes and presses it again. This happened today and the rep said "I have to do this. I have to make sure it's full" I told him "please don't top it off" he said "I'm not topping off. I'm checking if it's full" I said "yes but it's increasing my $ amount when you check.

This really annoys me. In NJ one can't pump their own fuel

Rules are meant to be broken. I used to pump gas on my own at the local Hess station when I lived in NJ.

I really hate it when my car stops the nozzle because I'm already full and the gas attendant comes and presses it again. This happened today and the rep said "I have to do this. I have to make sure it's full" I told him "please don't top it off" he said "I'm not topping off. I'm checking if it's full" I said "yes but it's increasing my $ amount when you check.

Does the NJ law require the gas twit to "TOP" it off, or just be the one that has to operate the pump?

Also, What do you have to go though to get your lawnmower gas can filled(and are they going to "TOP" that off as well?

Well this never happened with BP. maybe two times this happened and I told the young worker not to do that and he apologized and that was the end of that. In fact I always get out of the car and open my own fuel cap and attach it to the fuel door. I HATE when they let it drop and it hits the paint. Perhaps I'm anal about this but after years the paint can have major scratches form fuel cap landing on it. Once the fuel fills and the rep comes I usually say "that's it I'm good". And they remove it. But today I went to Exxon and the old man told me this. Ruined my experience. I know it's not a huge or big deal however 1 I don't want to over fill, 2 I don't agree to the "extra" charges after my car fills to be "rounded" to the next dollar/cent. 3 the next rounding number usually doesn't end up going into my fuel reservoir anyway so I don't want to pay for the extra 10-50 cents. 4 adding .50 extra at every week fill adds up after a year.

It honestly pissed me off.

Although this may seem a bit crazy I called the location and I happen to get the manager on the phone. He is the one who answered the phone and I asked them if this is something of the norm. He apologized and said that this is not something that they usually do and offered for me to come back next week and to speak to him and he assured me that it must've been a miscommunication. I was so happy to hear this because I would really like to use Exxon/mobile as my gas provider.

I wouldn't want peeps filling my car, or hanging the cap either.

I'm the opposite - I always reduce fuel rate as I approach full in case an unfamiliar pump overfills (I hate when my shoes get splashed) - then, because I hand calculate my mpg, do one extra slo-fill. It usually results in an extra .1 gallon (ie 20 - 50 cents (boy is California resort gas expensive!) but at unfamiliar pumps I've done nearly a gallon extra to complete the fill. I've also had more than one unfamiliar pump, out of state, cut off after taking well under a gallon, once under a tenth, and because of the way the newer pumps work, had to pay and start a new fill to get the other 11- 12 gallons. I would be very unhappy to jump back on the road and discover I'm only minutes away from "Bingo" again. (Yeah, I should notice the "low cost/gallons" on the receipt but after 55+ years I don't pay any attention to that, just record the trip mileage/mpg reading and continue on.

The big issue that I see here is more than just extra money spent at the pump but rather the damage that is caused to your evap system. When one "tops off" or goes past the auto shut off of the pump your not putting the gas in the tank so much anymore but rather pumping your charcoal canister full of liquid gas that is meant to hold vapor only. Over time the canister can break down and you'll pick up pieces of charcoal when the canister is flooded that are then flushed out and into fuel lines that clog. Thus having CEL and possible fueling issues that result in replacement of parts. Hyundai's from the early 2000's are known for this issue I believe.

The big issue that I see here is more than just extra money spent at the pump but rather the damage that is caused to your evap system. When one "tops off" or goes past the auto shut off of the pump your not putting the gas in the tank so much anymore but rather pumping your charcoal canister full of liquid gas that is meant to hold vapor only. Over time the canister can break down and you'll pick up pieces of charcoal when the canister is flooded that are then flushed out and into fuel lines that clog. Thus having CEL and possible fueling issues that result in replacement of parts. Hyundai's from the early 2000's are known for this issue I believe.
Interesting that Honda makes no mention of damaging the vehicle by (my words) reasonably making sure the tank is full. There is mention of letting the auto-shutoff do its thing and allowing for expansion but nothing about damaging the evaporation system, I'm talking about charcoal filters, etc - which I'm not sure that the newer vehicles with sealed gas tanks have.

I can't say I've read anything ever regarding over filling in a owners manual (never read those other than specs honestly) but I've seen first hand the consequences it can cause. Different people, different outcomes. Just a possibility that can be avoided.

This occurs when someone fills their tank to the top of the filler neck. There are vent tubes either on top of the tank and/or towards the top of the filler neck located behind what you see opening the fuel door. These vents are directly routed to the charcoal canister and other valves that allow the evap system to work. Liquid fuel is not meant to travel downs these tubes, only the evaporated fuel fumes. Filling the vehicle to the top of the filler neck allows liquid fuel to flow down and into the evap cansiter or valves. The liquid fuel is soaked up by the charcoal which then can't absorb any more fumes and starts to break down from being wet. The broken down particles then bump around while driving and get into the lines that clog up air flow and throw a CEL. Ethanol sitting on valves could cause a gumming up conern and again CEL.

Again i would just advise against any top off's passed what the pump does. The pumps designed to shut off when full, pretty sure it's based off some sort of pressure in the filler neck the pump can sense.

I can't say I've read anything ever regarding over filling in a owners manual (never read those other than specs honestly) but I've seen first hand the consequences it can cause. Different people, different outcomes. Just a possibility that can be avoided.

This occurs when someone fills their tank to the top of the filler neck. There are vent tubes either on top of the tank and/or towards the top of the filler neck located behind what you see opening the fuel door. These vents are directly routed to the charcoal canister and other valves that allow the evap system to work. Liquid fuel is not meant to travel downs these tubes, only the evaporated fuel fumes. Filling the vehicle to the top of the filler neck allows liquid fuel to flow down and into the evap cansiter or valves. The liquid fuel is soaked up by the charcoal which then can't absorb any more fumes and starts to break down from being wet. The broken down particles then bump around while driving and get into the lines that clog up air flow and throw a CEL. Ethanol sitting on valves could cause a gumming up conern and again CEL.

Again i would just advise against any top off's passed what the pump does. The pumps designed to shut off when full, pretty sure it's based off some sort of pressure in the filler neck the pump can sense.
Do all cars have this charcoal canister? And is it a maintenance item? Can't say I've ever heard of this nor have I ever really dug into evap systems tbh.

All cars are mandatory to have Evap systems in the US, they are setup differently between brands but do the same job. It is not meant to be serviced at all and should function fine for the life of the vehicle. Age and weather on rubber hoses is usually the first place to break/have a leak to throw a CEL. The canister and some valves and hoses are normally tucked up under the rear sub-frame/uni-body by the gas tank, some easier to see than others but it's hard to miss a big black box.

In my area (the flat lands of Illinois/UofI) I stick to Shell and the occasional Lucus Oil Octane Boost.

Back