Votes: 9 81.8%
  • short ram intake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • k&n replacement air filter

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bryan

This whole time i have been reading threads on how cold air intakes are bad for engines but people still manage to buy them. I am looking to buy a 2012 civic si sedan, but i am debating whether to get a cold air intake, a short ram intake or just a regular drop in air filter. What do you guys think about this!

welcome to the site. As mentioned in some other threads, a cold air intake will provide the most gains. The only thing you have to be concerned with is driving through a lake.

do you think that a injen hydro shield and a heat shield will prevent water getting into the intake filter?

do you think that a injen hydro shield and a heat shield will prevent water getting into the intake filter?
the hydroshield is designed specifically to block water from reaching the filter. You'd have to be in water probably 10-12"+ deep to pull anything into your engine to begin with though. Endless amount of people run cold air intakes without issue

Oh ok. But do those cai really give u about 15hp & 10lb torque with just that cai?

there should be 3 dyno sheets from users hopefully this week with before/after dyno runs. You can view injen's results from the thread.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/injen-intakes-2012-civic-si-update-email-dyno.4149/

injen.png

Oh ok. But do those cai really give u about 15hp & 10lb torque with just that cai?

Not from what I have been reading. The cai usually needs other mods, like exhaust & flash pro to see those type of results.

There is nothing wrong with CAI, just be careful of water that will go above the bottom of you bumper. I have driven thou monsoon style rain with no problems...

What about the CAI in a hot weather climate? I live in TX in the scorching heat and was worried about "heat soak". Is it worth getting a CAI where appx 8 months out of the year is 90-100+?

What about the CAI in a hot weather climate? I live in TX in the scorching heat and was worried about "heat soak". Is it worth getting a CAI where appx 8 months out of the year is 90-100+?

The air that a CAI pulls in will still be cooler than from higher up in the engine compartment.

I have the Injen intake and drove through flooded streets with water up to and above the bottom of my bumper and no issues. Avoid lakes and other bodies of water and you'll be just fine. On another note, I did notice a considerable difference after installing my intake

I live in FL. Lots of rain and big puddles so no CAI for me please. I plan to do the Takeda or GReddy intake that replaces the stock airbox. Right now I have the K&N Drop-in filter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
K & N drop in for me. For now :). In regards to the cai. I had aem v2 cai on my gsr. I drove in a hurricane , serious rain storms and a blizzard with only one issue. Shortly after the super heavy rainstorms I decided to clean my filter. After getting the filter off , I looked into the v2 and saw a little puddle built up in the first bend. Dried it off and never felt any issue. Also the car was stock height.

I have the injen CAI since January or so and I've driven through some pretty ruff weather here on the jersey shore (please no stupid jokes about that horrible show that was on TV lol) and Ive not had any problems with water. I've even hit some nasty puddles that snuck up on me while driving at night.

I can't believe that no one voted for the short ram, I would have thought the K&n filter would have been 0 for sure...crazy :screwy:

When I do decide to get an intake , I will most likely get the k&n short ram. I like gains shown from the dynosheet , ease of install compared to the cai and the fact that they are never shy about posting dyno sheets with their products. Nice gain from the bottom to the top. Plus i saw it for 250 ish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Back