Which springs for a 17X9.75+25 wheel?

Dutchmaster

NYC area.
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hello all,

I was thinking about getting some springs and wheels this spring. I basically wanna look like this:
civiccc.jpg
(idk who's car this is, took it off of another forum)
Im planning on getting XXR 530 17X9.75+25. The XXR527's above has the same specs with a 215/45 tire, and Coilovers. I wanna get the same look, but idk what kind of springs to get that will give my car this look^. I was originally thinking sportlines, but that seems too low, maybe H&R's? I can get camber bolts no problem, but I dont wanna do any pulling or shaving or what ever it is you do to the fenders lol. Im just really diggin this look.

-Ryan

That is a very aggressive wheel size you have picked out. The 9th gen does have more room in the fenders it seems like. You will definitely have to run camber arms in the rear to fit them if you go very low and run lots of neg camber. Also a 215 on a 9.75" is a pretty big stretch for that tire. Pair that huge stretch with a lot of camber and you will not have very much tire in contact with the ground.

I think an 18" looks good on a sedan also. Larger body style with a larger wheel. The XXR530 comes in an 18x8.75 in a +33 or a +20. Might be easier to fit without doing body work and without running excess camber either. You can still go pretty low with that. Just depends.

Are you looking to have that really wide wheel with the cambered out look? The car you posted doesn't seem to be running much camber at all.

This is my wifes 8th gen sedan on xxr527's in 18x8.75 +35 and she is running a 225/40 tire. Hardly any stretch at all. She is lowered on HFP suspension but we still had to do some work. Front fenders are rolled and the rears are shaved. I think that with the larger 9th gen wheel wells you could probably run this size setup and go much lower without rubbing.

kffj.jpg

Also look through this wheel fitment section.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/wheel-fitment-charts.7620/

That actually seems like the perfect amount of low for the setup i plan on running. Sportlines are definitely too low. From what i see, the sportlines make the tires tuck ever so slightly which will not work on the setup I plan to run.
Thanks for responding!

That is a very aggressive wheel size you have picked out. The 9th gen does have more room in the fenders it seems like. You will definitely have to run camber arms in the rear to fit them if you go very low and run lots of neg camber. Also a 215 on a 9.75" is a pretty big stretch for that tire. Pair that huge stretch with a lot of camber and you will not have very much tire in contact with the ground.

I think an 18" looks good on a sedan also. Larger body style with a larger wheel. The XXR530 comes in an 18x8.75 in a +33 or a +20. Might be easier to fit without doing body work and without running excess camber either. You can still go pretty low with that. Just depends.

Are you looking to have that really wide wheel with the cambered out look? The car you posted doesn't seem to be running much camber at all.

This is my wifes 8th gen sedan on xxr527's in 18x8.75 +35 and she is running a 225/40 tire. Hardly any stretch at all. She is lowered on HFP suspension but we still had to do some work. Front fenders are rolled and the rears are shaved. I think that with the larger 9th gen wheel wells you could probably run this size setup and go much lower without rubbing.

kffj.jpg

Also look through this wheel fitment section.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/wheel-fitment-charts.7620/

Thanks man, I actually thought it would be TOO much stretch until I saw what it looked like. It doesnt look like the guy is running much camber. Do you think I should be fine with H&R springs and camber arms for the rear?
I honestly wish they came in 17X9. I cant find any other wheels in 17x9 around the same price point that I like. 18's look good, but it's a tad bigger than i'd like.
Your wifes car looks awesome by the way. I cant believe you needed to do fender work, theres still a gap between the fender and tire, so its surprising.

I dont like the cambered out, hellaflush look. I like poke, alittle low, enough for a finger gap. Basically, I want my car to like the pic in the first post. Thats a perfect look for me and the closest demonstration of how I wanna look.
Thanks for the response!

Thanks! She likes it a lot. We were both surprised by the rub especially with the 0.75" drop. It was just a slight hit on the sidewall of the rear tires and in the front it was hitting the tabs that hold the fender liner in.

I think you also might be in the market for coilovers instead of just springs. Depending on your budget of course.

Springs and camber arms... eh.. I don't know if you would make it with a 9.75" and the +25 is a pretty low offset. What's your take on some rubbing? I find any rub, even just a little chirp, to be unacceptable.

I think the guy to ask on fitment for these cars is @sk8nava He's usually running a pretty aggressive set of wheels.

Wowzers lol
Ok well here's my $0.02

Just as Nix said, that x9.75 wont make it. 1) that is a wide wheel, 2) that offset is low (sort of)
For the look you are going for, I personally would not stretch tires unless you plan on actually going low, and I'm not talking about springs. I'm all for being slammed and stretching a tire, but I also don't see the need to stretch a tire if you don't have it. Your perfect fitment for what you want to achieve, based on the pic you posted, would definitely be a x8 +35 - +30 and you can run a 215/45 safely with no rubbing. You might be able to run a 225, actually.
I understand that you like "poke" and a little low, AND THIS IS MY OPINION, but poke with wide wheels and only a little drop, is horrible.
To each their own though, please don't think I'm talking crap, I just don't want you to make your car look like its mexi-flush. If you are going to do any poke or stretch, slam it or don't stretch at all.

For a slight drop, no rubbing, here's what you can do:
- 17x8 +35 to +30 even a x8.5 ----- but anything wider than that starts to look iffy
- 215/45 tire ------> www.tyrestretch.com is a good guide to see what certain size tires look like on certain width wheels.
- You can run camber arms, but its not "necessary." With the drop you want, you will barely see any camber difference. But if it makes you feel better to run rear camber arms, then go right ahead. I use them, but they are set to the stock (OEM) length, and I'm really not running a lot of caber.

I've ran up to x9.5 wheels on my car without pulling fenders or rolling and I never rubbed. My camber was still set to stock length and its not bad. So again, running camber arms is optional. I'll post some pics to show you some differences.

Here are some pics and examples.

This is my buddy's car on 17x8 +35 with 215/45s, no camber arms
1535463_710990272258701_212624835_n.jpg

Here is mine on x9.5 in the rear with 205/40, you can see how minimal the camber is
8125091001_5fa6b91078_c.jpg

Another one of my car on x9 +30 with 205/40. again, minimal camber at stock specs.
9398667750_09a06e689c_c.jpg

@Nix @Dutchmaster

Wowzers lol
Ok well here's my $0.02

Just as Nix said, that x9.75 wont make it. 1) that is a wide wheel, 2) that offset is low (sort of)
For the look you are going for, I personally would not stretch tires unless you plan on actually going low, and I'm not talking about springs. I'm all for being slammed and stretching a tire, but I also don't see the need to stretch a tire if you don't have it. Your perfect fitment for what you want to achieve, based on the pic you posted, would definitely be a x8 +35 - +30 and you can run a 215/45 safely with no rubbing. You might be able to run a 225, actually.
I understand that you like "poke" and a little low, AND THIS IS MY OPINION, but poke with wide wheels and only a little drop, is horrible.
To each their own though, please don't think I'm talking crap, I just don't want you to make your car look like its mexi-flush. If you are going to do any poke or stretch, slam it or don't stretch at all.

For a slight drop, no rubbing, here's what you can do:
- 17x8 +35 to +30 even a x8.5 ----- but anything wider than that starts to look iffy
- 215/45 tire ------> www.tyrestretch.com is a good guide to see what certain size tires look like on certain width wheels.
- You can run camber arms, but its not "necessary." With the drop you want, you will barely see any camber difference. But if it makes you feel better to run rear camber arms, then go right ahead. I use them, but they are set to the stock (OEM) length, and I'm really not running a lot of caber.

I've ran up to x9.5 wheels on my car without pulling fenders or rolling and I never rubbed. My camber was still set to stock length and its not bad. So again, running camber arms is optional. I'll post some pics to show you some differences.

Here are some pics and examples.

This is my buddy's car on 17x8 +35 with 215/45s, no camber arms
1535463_710990272258701_212624835_n.jpg

Here is mine on x9.5 in the rear with 205/40, you can see how minimal the camber is
8125091001_5fa6b91078_c.jpg

Another one of my car on x9 +30 with 205/40. again, minimal camber at stock specs.
9398667750_09a06e689c_c.jpg

@Nix @Dutchmaster

How low were you able to go on the Battles? I've got em (different specs though, 18x8 +30 with 225/40/18 tires) and haven't been able to decide on which springs to get without having to worry about rubbing.

How low were you able to go on the Battles? I've got em (different specs though, 18x8 +30 with 225/40/18 tires) and haven't been able to decide on which springs to get without having to worry about rubbing.

I'm on coilovers, so I'm able to go a lot lower than springs will allow.
You shouldnt run into rubbing. I ran those same specs as your battles, but I was +35 instead of +30 on my coupe and same tire size and never rubbed. The 9ths have a little more play room in the wheel well that the 8thgens do. I havent rubbed yet on anything Ive ran on the 9th.

Heres my coupe on 18x8 +35 with 225/40 and I was on megan racing springs
4332_86099566501_3425834_n.jpg

OMG that's like 4x4 status for you! Look at that bumper to grass gap! You could like, totally run over a toddlers head!

Thanks everyone for replying. sk8nava, Your cars looks great! Ive had a change of heart. Im actually thinking about getting eibach sportlines with XXR 530 17x8.25+25. I figure i should have nothing to worry about with that size

will a +25 offset wheel have more of a concave look than a +35?

I still like the wide, poke look so maybe down the road ill pick up some coils and new shoes.

Thanks everyone for replying. sk8nava, Your cars looks great! Ive had a change of heart. Im actually thinking about getting eibach sportlines with XXR 530 17x8.25+25. I figure i should have nothing to worry about with that size

will a +25 offset wheel have more of a concave look than a +35?

I still like the wide, poke look so maybe down the road ill pick up some coils and new shoes.

Not a problem, dude!
Wide has nothing to do with offset or concavity. The wider the wheel is, the more concave it will be. The offset wont change that. You're much better off running a +35 on that setup with such a mild drop over the +25; here's why.
The +25 is going to bring the wheel/tire out more from the hub. the Closer you are to zero (0), the more the wheel sticks out. Don't get this confused with "poke" because that is not what it is.
'Poke' is to be considered how much the lip of the wheel pokes out from the tire: I.E.; the more stretch the tire, the more the lip of the wheel shows

I know it's your car, and I'm not trying to build it for you, but I think you would be happier with the 17x8.25 +35 with 225s on them, even a 215 wouldnt be bad. I say this because if for some odd reason your car bounces or hits a bump decently hard, or you turn too fast; the +25 will be out there enough that you could rub. Even though its only a 10mm difference, its still going to make a difference when it comes to rubbing. So that +35 will sit in perfect at any height you choose and look really nice. Again, it is your car so do what you want, I'm just giving my opinion to help you make your decision. Its just so common that people want to go wide and stretch but don't want to drop the car, then they get their setup on and hate it, regret it, then are stuck trying to sell their wheels because they are unhappy. I don't wish that on anyone!

EDIT:

This might help also. This is my best friends 8thgen on 17x8 +35 on 215/45 tires. He is on Skunk2 lowering springs.
902349_10100538084296934_78948076_o.jpg

Last edited:
OMG that's like 4x4 status for you! Look at that bumper to grass gap! You could like, totally run over a toddlers head!

Hahaha right, this was baaackkk in the day man! I eventually slammed her a few years later from this pic; never looked back since!

Back