Whine noise from belt area.

Janz3n

Gibsons BC
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic SI
Body Style
sedan
Long shot. Been searching for similar problems for days with only one other thread on 9thgencivics and basically said it's normal.

I get a whine noise from the engine belt area. Sounds like a small supercharger. Pretty sure its coming from the belt, idler or tensioner. Maybe the alternator but I'm not 100% sure .Before I go and buy a belt, tensioner and idler I wanted to see if anyone else has solved this issue.

It's pretty annoying hearing it when the windows are done . Or should I just install a supercharger?

video of what it's doing, so we can hear the sound? Is it doing it at idle, all the time, when you accelerate....? Does the belt have cracks/wear showing? How many miles do you have?

It's pretty annoying hearing it when the windows are done . Or should I just install a supercharger?
? The noise is annoying, but you're asking if you should install a supercharger? uhhh :confused:

I don't have a video .Noise is there all the time. Neutral or driving. Gets louder with rpm. The belt has no cracks. It does look kind of worn out maybe dry .car has 38000kms. So 23000ish miles.

Well .if it's a normal noise I might as well put a supercharger on it. At least there would be a good reason for the noise .I'm being sarcastic .

honestly i havent done much other than try and pinpoint the location of the noise as im too busy to do much else. im going to probably replace the belt tomorrow anyways as it doesnt look great and go from there.

Not sure what model you have (SI, non SI?) but I’ve always dealt with a slight wine from the engine bay. Even after I replaced both my belt and alternator. I hear the same wine from other R18’s in both the 8th and 9th gens that come into my job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Si . I really hope I can make the noise go away.
You should still be under the basic warranty from Honda 3Year or 36,000 miles. I'd take it back to them to see what's going on. It's possible it could be the belt tensioner. Honda belt tensioners aren't the best and tend to go out early. I'd be of more help if there was a video where I could hear what's going on tbh.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Its out by a few months. if i can fix it with a tensioner and belt and even an idler id rather do it myself anyways. not worth the drive and time to go to the dealer for a little bit of money. being a mechanic myself id also rather not have anyone touch my car.

Got to look at it more at lunch. Noise is coming from the alternator .

bearing in the alternator? no idea. i'll probably just replace the whole thing.

bearing in the alternator? no idea. i'll probably just replace the whole thing.
Pulley should be riding on a shaft with a bearing inside the alt. Might be easier to replace the whole thing but much cheaper to open the case and swap the bearing. Not to mention aftermarket alts are mostly crap and won't last as long as oem

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

well this oem alternator lasted 3 years and 38xxxkms.
Mine barely lasted 50,000 miles (80,000KM) before it went out. Replaced it with a premium reman and haven't had a problem with it in the past 10,000 miles.

What was wrong with yours?
Voltage regulator, and bearing. Bearing was louder than the engine idling, and it wasn't putting out the correct voltage. Just replaced the whole thing and put in a new belt.

Well that was kind of an expensive guess. Noise is still there. Maybe it is a normal noise after all?

Back